PDA

View Full Version : K&N Drop In

s1ideways
05-18-2005, 04:49 PM
Anyone have a pic of what this looks like and how much they got it for?

I seem to be getting more power after I replaced my CAI w/ my stock intake minus the resonator....I know it's weird but let me know what you guys have.

Thanks

starchland
05-18-2005, 10:15 PM
what do you mean by stock intake, did you cut out the bottom?

s1ideways
05-19-2005, 12:34 AM
nope, didn't cut the bottom out. my engine bay basically looks stock. the stock intake is on there but i didn't put the resonator on.

starchland
05-19-2005, 12:46 AM
oh the bottom part or the 2 pipes?

ZigenBallZ
05-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I think I'm going to try putting mine back on minus the resonator that isn't there anymore...Maybe I'll use the little snorkel pipe too to suck in some cooler air....I've been getting heatsoak issues since the weather has been getting nicer...

I've been hearing alot lately about people trying it vs a short ram and the ass dyno tells them they get alot of low end back...

s1ideways
05-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Hey Mike, yeah...I went back to stock since my CAI was angled upward = oil running back to the manifold and also the intake pipe was banging up against my hood, which is not good especially for a cf hood. But my stock fiilter is dirty, I was thinkin either K&N or fram airhog

Granite CB7
05-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Cut the bottom of your airbox right off. Results are pretty good! The K&N filter should help a little also esp. if yours is dirty :thumbsup:

Dan

starchland
05-19-2005, 10:29 PM
yeah i was also thinking of putting the stock air box back on rather than my short ram, or also thinking about getting a much longer filter for the short ram and take the grill off for more air flow

ZigenBallZ
05-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Well...

I put my stock intake pipe back on today with a cone filter on the end... in place of the 3" SRI...

For some reason I couldn't fit the airbox back in... Maybe it was all the brackets I removed during the swap...So I had to use the ole ghetto can method to mate the filter and stock piping... thereby making the overall length of the intake about 3-4" longer...

Anyways though... According to the Ass dyno... you really do pick up some low end tq... It seems to choke past about 4500-5000 rpms though... but it is better feeling from a dead stop... and for some reason it seems like my rpms don't drop as much on upshifts...

I noticed that the stock piping is tapered.... I am now definitely thinking that might be the way to go especially considering all of the research I've been doing on a semi-unrelated subject...

pwrusr
05-21-2005, 07:28 PM
I noticed that the stock piping is tapered.... I am now definitely thinking that might be the way to go especially considering all of the research I've been doing on a semi-unrelated subject...
Iceman intakes are made the same way. I noticed when I barrowed a friends iceman it felt a tad stronger on the lowend and much stronger from 3500rpm up :thumbsup:

ZigenBallZ
05-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Iceman intakes are made the same way. I noticed when I barrowed a friends iceman it felt a tad stronger on the lowend and much stronger from 3500rpm up :thumbsup:

After driving it a bit more and getting used to it... it actually feels a little more sluggish from about 3500-4000 on up...

Granite CB7
05-24-2005, 04:34 PM

Yeah, great product, heard a lot of great things. You must be talking about the CT meet, right? You switched intakes w/ somebody and I think the one you borrowed was a blue iceman intake.

Dan

pwrusr
05-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Yeah, great product, heard a lot of great things. You must be talking about the CT meet, right? You switched intakes w/ somebody and I think the one you borrowed was a blue iceman intake.

Dan
yep, I switched intakes with the guy in the prelude. I was sad when I had to return it :(

starchland
05-24-2005, 10:37 PM
the stock intake is tapered, how much?

i dunno what to do now, i was thinking of putting back in my stock airbox with the cut out bottom, but now im thinking of getting a big ass k&n filter to put on my short ram and then make a metal heat shield.

ZigenBallZ
05-30-2005, 12:27 PM
i dunno how much it's tapered... I could take a looksee when I put the stock hose back into storage...

because I put my shortram back on... and I'll be damned if it doesn't feel so much better...

stock intake piping sucks... or more to the point doesn't suck in as much air as smoothly as a short ram tube...bleh...

I think either way a good idea is to fab some sort of box around the filter element to prevent heatsoak if you are going to have it in the bay...

Imma try a little ram air type thing pretty soon...

I agree about the Iceman... pricey but it would seem to be a good choice in theory...

repherence1
06-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Anyone have a pic of what this looks like and how much they got it for?

I seem to be getting more power after I replaced my CAI w/ my stock intake minus the resonator....I know it's weird but let me know what you guys have.

Thanks

yup i went with the cheap intake solution. i took out the resonator and the piping. i went to Eagle Hardware and Garden and bought some flexible 2" rubber hose --kinda looks like dryer hose but it's black rubber and 2" in diameter. i took two pieces of the hose, and seamed them together with shoe goo to make two 2" hoses combine into a 3" diameter opening. then i connected the two 2" hoses to the two intake ports on the lower front portion of the air box. the other 3" end runs into the side of the front of the car. when u remove the resonator and piping, there is about a 3" hole on the to the left of the airbox. i also got a plastic dryer hose coupler/reducer to connect the 3" rubber hose to some flexible aluminum dryer hose. then i ran the dryer hose down toward the front of the car.

but... this is worthless without pics so i will try to get some shots of it on the digi cam.

my uncle is a tech at a Honda dealership. he told me not to waste money on those aftermarket intakes. although they sound kool, they air flow is turbulent. the airbox does something to help with turbulence as the air flows into the motor. so i took his advice and just removed the resonator and added some hoses. but the car sounds like i has intake/exhaust, but the engine bay looks completly stock. i kinda like the "burble" sound that the car makes under hard acceleration.

i will try to get some pics asap.

starchland
06-02-2005, 10:23 PM
get some pics please, and ZigenBallz your idea sounds really good, the same thing ive been thinking of doing. and yes the stock airbox has less turbulence because it also has less flow, its a direct relationship.

pwrusr
06-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Thought I'd post back on what I think of the intake I got from the local junkyard... (for all you swapped H22/23's out there)
Grabed what I needed out of a 97-01 lude. I KNOW it woudn't fit without a good bit of modding to the frame of the car right behind the passenger headlight. So I just cut out the bottom of the airbox and set it in place. All I need to do now is fab up some kind of braket so the air box isn't sitting on the A/C lines.

power:
I know I gained a little bit of lowend with the stock intake. But it kinda chokes up high though not as much as I thought it might. The metalic sound is gone now. Sounds really nice and is actually a little louder in the midrange.

ZigenBallZ
06-03-2005, 08:36 AM
Somebody did a really nice setup on HS in a 5thGen way back when... it was all auminum and closed off the portion from the battery area over to where the resonator tubing would come in...

but here's a rough idea...

http://www.theoldone.com/sc/type-r/babytub.jpg

Anyways... I won't go back to the stock tubing ever again... it sucks...or more to the point it doesn't suck in enough air past about 3500... not for an F20A that likes to rev high... bleh... even the SRI on a hot day accelerating from a stop feels much better...

the stock tubing did quiet things down a bit though...less intake noise and it even changed the exhaust sound a bit... it was more mellow... not worth the losses tho IMO... bleh on stock tubing...

pwrusr
06-03-2005, 06:43 PM
I got a couple PM's regarding a link to iceman intakes sooo here's the link:
http://www.icemanmotorsports.com/

FishyMan
06-08-2005, 06:36 PM
repherence 1,
u got pics?

starchland
06-08-2005, 10:25 PM
hey that picture above of that sealed airbox is awesome, looks like i have a good weekend DIY.

d112crzy
06-10-2005, 11:00 PM
k, how do i remove the resonator? is there a thread on this already? if so can u tell me where to look? thx.