PDA

View Full Version : A caliper question.

The G-Man
05-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Ok, lets start with the basics. I have a '93 LX sedan. Currently the brake setup is like this: AEM pads, with Brembo crossdrilled rotors.

So, today I replaced my master cylinder (pedal fell to floor). That fixed the problem. But when bleeding the brakes the bleeder screw on the passenger caliper was stripped. The screw costs like $2, but I can not loosen the screw for the life of me.

Also, I did bleed the other three wheels without incident, and it does not feel like there is any air in the system.

Soon I will have to change brake pads, I would have changed them today but I do not have money right now to get the AEM pads. Changing pads again will cause more bleeding to happen.

So, I know I am going to get the AEM pads. Right now the brakes feel fine, and I do not think the calipers are going.

Tonight however, when checking the prices, a remanufactured caliper is about $50. When I change the pads, I could ust get another caliper, but then would I need to change them in sets?

Right now I have no need to get new calipers, but if I did that would be just one less thing for me to do in the future.

New pads and 2 new calipers would be about $150, after core charges are refunded.

Should I replace the calipers too?

uslspct
05-14-2006, 11:21 PM
I replaced everything at once, but I had other reasons.
I don't think you should unless it's nescessary. As far as the bleeder screw, did you use a flare nut wrench? Maybe it's too stripped now, but I'm sure you could get it out with the right tool.
Also I was confused as to what you have on now. AEM pads and drilled rotors are on right now?

The G-Man
05-15-2006, 12:30 AM
I replaced everything at once, but I had other reasons.
I don't think you should unless it's nescessary. As far as the bleeder screw, did you use a flare nut wrench? Maybe it's too stripped now, but I'm sure you could get it out with the right tool.
Also I was confused as to what you have on now. AEM pads and drilled rotors are on right now?
Yeah the AEM pads and drilled rotors are what is on there, and has been there.

I did try the flare wrench, but the nut must have been slightly stripped before I tried, and thus stripped it more. I just need more suggestions to try and get it off.

I guess I will wait on new calipers until I really need them. But I am gonna get a bleeder screw, why not they are like $2. Then eventually I will get this bitch off, and can replace it.

aero
05-15-2006, 07:20 PM
I would say to get the parts minus the calipers, and see how long it would take to get a caliper. Then try to get the bleeder off. If it breaks off, get a caliper to replace it. As long as your other caliper is good, and you are getting the same kind, you should be good. But if pads wear weird, then you will have to get a 2nd one.

Dom
05-15-2006, 07:22 PM
give me the site to get remanufactured calipers for 50 bucks, shit the cheapest i found them was for 150 a piece

The G-Man
05-15-2006, 08:59 PM
These are from Advance Auto Parts.
www.advanceautoparts.com

And a more specific link.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=A1C&mfrpartnumber=191335&parttype=5003&ptset=A
Also, this is for a replacement of a Akebono caliper, not one with ABS.

timmy0tool
06-14-2006, 08:39 PM
calipers ususally don't go out that fast, well that's speaking from a californian. if necessary you can get the new calipers or just rebuild the ones you have. i would do it all at once for simplicity if money allows it.

as for the bleeder screw, spray some pb blaster or lubricant to loosen the rust/grime. use a closed end 10mm wrench to get it open. if you stripped it already you will need a vice grip or notch it with a dremel and remove it with a screwdriver :shrug: .

The G-Man
06-14-2006, 11:29 PM
if you stripped it already you will need a vice grip or notch it with a dremel and remove it with a screwdriver :shrug: .
Yeah, got a new 10mm bleeder screw at Advance the other day, along with pb blaster. Now whenever my brakepads arrive I will be ready to do this.

Never thought of using a dremel to notch it.

uslspct
06-15-2006, 02:37 AM
A Dremel is the answer to all problems. Or a big fucking hammer. This should be mentioned at the top of every maintenance or diy thread. When in doubt dremel that bitch.