CB7Tuner Forums

CB7Tuner Forums (http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/index.php)
-   Welding and Fabrication (http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Aluminum (http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=46272)

pretty_ricky302 04-29-2006 06:03 PM

Aluminum

how do u weld something to Aluminum, i tried soldering stuff but it rolls right off

SteveB 04-29-2006 09:43 PM

Something like what?

'93accordse 04-30-2006 12:33 AM

you have to tig weld aluminum. also, buy a stainless steel wire brush or stainless ateel wire wheel for a grinder and clean it before hand. Aluminum actually builds a protective skin which is pretty strong (which is the reason it doesnt rust.) this "skin" should come off before welding.

pretty_ricky302 05-01-2006 01:56 PM

i wanted to make a bracket for my cai

maroonaccord2.2 05-01-2006 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '93accordse
you have to tig weld aluminum. also, buy a stainless steel wire brush or stainless ateel wire wheel for a grinder and clean it before hand. Aluminum actually builds a protective skin which is pretty strong (which is the reason it doesnt rust.) this "skin" should come off before welding.

Well, it does'nt rust because it's an alloy... And, when welding you have to have the two aluminum surfaces extremely clean, otherwise you will not get good penetration...... You cannot SOLDER aluminum to another metal, aluminum to aluminum yes. Try this stuff, they sell it on eBay too:

www.alumiweld.com

Clueless 05-01-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Quite contrary...Tig is prefered, but can be done with mig. This "skin" is actually aluminum oxide and it's not for protection purposes...the reason why you want to clean aluminum really good is because if you allow the "skin" (or aluminum oxide) to remain, you contaminate the weld and highly risk the welds breaking/cracking. To mig weld Aluminum, you'll need 100% pure Argon and aluminum wire...

Clueless 05-01-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroonaccord2.2
Well, it does'nt rust because it's an alloy... And, when welding you have to have the two aluminum surfaces extremely clean, otherwise you will not get good penetration...... You cannot SOLDER aluminum to another metal, aluminum to aluminum yes. Try this stuff, they sell it on eBay too:

www.alumiweld.com

Aluminum does rust....it's called Aluminum Oxide, it's the white smooth fine powdery stuff ontop of aluminum.

HondaGuy1212 05-01-2006 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clueless
Aluminum does rust....it's called Aluminum Oxide, it's the white smooth fine powdery stuff ontop of aluminum.

yup you are right

maroonaccord2.2 05-01-2006 05:07 PM

Quote:

Okay, so it OXIDIZES..... 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. :eyebrow:

'93accordse 05-01-2006 05:09 PM

actually, i knew it was called aluminum oxide and that it was aluminums form of rust but i broke it down into simplest terms. good call explaining it better. and i was not aware that you could mig aluminum, i only was ever taught to tig aluminum. interesting.

Clueless 05-01-2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

actually, i knew it was called aluminum oxide and that it was aluminums form of rust but i broke it down into simplest terms. good call explaining it better. and i was not aware that you could mig aluminum, i only was ever taught to tig aluminum. interesting.

Ahh, I see.... simple=better ....yup, you can mig aluminum(unless I'm mistaken, aluminum has a lower melting point then steel) but I advise against trying to mig aluminum with steel wire(doesn't smell pretty and look nasty).

DilutedImage 05-11-2006 04:08 PM

No Clueless, you're not mistaken. Like you said, to MIG aluminum you need 100% Argon and some aluminum wire. And you'll want to turn the amperage and wire-speed down. Speaking of wire, it's best to use a handheld spool gun for aluminum, because it likes to kink up over long distances. ..

So what's the word on that AlumiWeld stuff? Has anybody here tried it? Does it actually hold up?

Clueless 05-11-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DilutedImage
No Clueless, you're not mistaken. Like you said, to MIG aluminum you need 100% Argon and some aluminum wire. And you'll want to turn the amperage and wire-speed down. Speaking of wire, it's best to use a handheld spool gun for aluminum, because it likes to kink up over long distances. ..

So what's the word on that AlumiWeld stuff? Has anybody here tried it? Does it actually hold up?

I think I saw some at the truck show down south....seems like solder, but hold aluminum together. Obviously, if this stuff really does work, you probbly can't do thick pieces of aluminum.....

westsideaccord 05-11-2006 05:09 PM

WHat about braizing? Anyone else do this?
I braized my first oil return fitting onto my oil pan fitting using copper stick and fitting! Would aluminum be the same ( ie aluminum intake to aluminum bracket)

It is cheap other than the tanks and gas lol!

Clueless 05-11-2006 05:26 PM

I think it's possible, but the heat range might be too much for the aluminum and liquidify it almost instantently(sp?)

Punkrampant 05-26-2006 12:01 AM

You can braze aluminum you just need to use aluminum rods. And they do make rods that are made for brazing aluminum to other metals.

maroonaccord2.2 05-26-2006 12:08 AM

Quote:

Ya, I'm familiar with oxidation.....

Clueless 05-26-2006 04:37 PM

Also, you have to lighten the wire drive gear or otherwise it would crush the aluminum wire...

maroonaccord2.2 05-30-2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Also, you have to lighten the wire drive gear or otherwise it would crush the aluminum wire...

Yup, and when I'm using my Hobart for aluminum..... I have a teflon liner specifically designed for the aluminum wire.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t/P1002684.jpg

Clueless 05-30-2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maroonaccord2.2
Yup, and when I'm using my Hobart for aluminum..... I have a teflon liner specifically designed for the aluminum wire.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t/P1002684.jpg

Oh did I forget to mention a change of liner? oopies... :shrug:

VBaccord24 06-14-2006 10:56 PM

The alumiweld does work. quite well actually. my buddy and i went to a gun show and they had a stand open and the guy was using this stuff. after closing up a hole in the bottom of a mt dew can that was the size of a quarter he then had us take a center punch and try and punch thru. we crushed the can and then he had us continue beating on it and it never failed. i was extremly impressed. didnt crack or anything. cant say much for the rest of the can tho.

bcjammerx 01-08-2008 06:49 AM

cans are not cars...I'm not so sure about that alumiweld stuff...I wouldn't trust it...but I could be wrong...it would prolly work on brackets that don't bear much weight or get pushed/pulled on...not sure about anything else though.

thecrow7841 01-08-2008 07:00 AM

how about
ZIPTIES!
to tie down your CAI

bcjammerx 01-08-2008 07:23 AM

now see...zip ties are ok

Bcozzi71 01-16-2008 05:16 PM

im really no nothing about welding just from what i saw when my dad did it when i was little............but when dont use use some kind of wax or something aswell when welding alloy?? my dad did this when repairing a alloy rim

Camurai 01-17-2008 10:57 PM

He was probably applying flux. This will help to prevent impurities and inclusions in the weld when not using a shielding gas such as argon and carbon dioxide.