Will new springs settle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will new springs settle?

I got H&R race springs for the cb7 and just put them on the rear and let it down but I noticed it still sits kinda high. Way too much wheelgap for me. I bounced the car up and down a few times and it helped alitle but will these settle down any over time?

my new teins have been on for about a month, there is a noticeable difference between when i first put them on and now. now dont think think there is some insane 1/2 drop since they settled, but it has gotten lower.

are yours adjustable?

Member Ride Facebook
    XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
    SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
    For Sale Thread

Comment

but my question is, will used springs settle? Like if theyre used, and then you take thme off for 6 months or so, and then put them back on. Will the settle after you initially put them on a second time?

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Well imo it seems like the springs shouldn't settle... I was just hoping they would... They're not adjustable. I have kyb agx's with adjustable dampening but no ride height adjustment.

Comment

they will take a while to settle.

Even used springs take a while to settle when they have been uncompressed for a while.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Cool man, I'm hoping. It still looks too 4x4ish for me.

Comment

well if you dont want the race i will take them!

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                well if you dont want the race i will take them!
                lol, riiiight. If they never do settle to what I want I'll just have to make somekind of sleeve setup like coilovers or somthin. For now, I'll wait and see if they sag.

Comment

sorry just trynig to help you out...i forgot they werent accord parts

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                  "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                  "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                    sorry just trynig to help you out...i forgot they werent accord parts
                    No they're for the accord.

Comment

Springs shouldn't 'settle', which isn't to say none will. When you installed the new springs and they seemed a bit high so you 'bounced' the car and they seemed to lower a tad, it might just be because of internal friction in the dampers, especially if the dampers are fairly new??

Something to consider as a (remote?) possibility, when you fit new springs they may not seat perfectly in the upper spring seat on the old rubber pad (which will be 'bedded in' to the exact shape of the old spring tops). After a while the pad may 'squash' slightly to accomodate the shape of the new spring?

Or, the pad may be in a rotationally different position on the new springs vs the old springs, which might mean that a thicker 'unsquashed' part of the pad that previously sat in the gap at the very end of the old spring is now supporting some actual part of the new spring, so the car sits slightly higher until the 'unsquashed' bit of pad sqashes down?
                      Regards from Oz,
                      John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl
                        Springs shouldn't 'settle', which isn't to say none will. When you installed the new springs and they seemed a bit high so you 'bounced' the car and they seemed to lower a tad, it might just be because of internal friction in the dampers, especially if the dampers are fairly new??

Something to consider as a (remote?) possibility, when you fit new springs they may not seat perfectly in the upper spring seat on the old rubber pad (which will be 'bedded in' to the exact shape of the old spring tops). After a while the pad may 'squash' slightly to accomodate the shape of the new spring?

Or, the pad may be in a rotationally different position on the new springs vs the old springs, which might mean that a thicker 'unsquashed' part of the pad that previously sat in the gap at the very end of the old spring is now supporting some actual part of the new spring, so the car sits slightly higher until the 'unsquashed' bit of pad sqashes down?
                        No I took those lame rubber things out to make the drop as low as possible. I did the same thing on my civic.

Comment

AGX are drop killers as I recall. Mxcx has a set on his car. When he threw on my sprint 2.25 the drop was perfect when he had the Tein springs on before it was still a bit high. Just go hit some turns or something that will help a bit. Lots of compression/decompression breaks it in.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB
                            No I took those lame rubber things out to make the drop as low as possible. I did the same thing on my civic.
                            Do you find this increases road and impact noise and harshness transmitted into the chassis??
                            Last edited by johnl; 01-04-2008, 09:44 AM.
                            Regards from Oz,
                            John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl
                              Do you find this increases road and impact noise and harshness transmitted into the chassis??
                              On the civic I didn't notice anything different atall. I had them in then adjusted the coils as low as they would go. The drop was just alitle bit too high so I cut the rubber inserts and pulled em out. Didn't make the ride much worse. I hope the springs do settle on the accord though. I'm assumin maybe its from the brand new struts and brand new springs needing to be broken in. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
                              X