Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How(trick) to get LBJ line up with Knuckle/Hub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How(trick) to get LBJ line up with Knuckle/Hub?

I am putting on a lower control arm and i can't get The knuckle/hub assembly to line back up with hole in lower control arm so LBJ will go back in. I had this problem on other side of car and after messing with it for over an hour it just popped back towards inside of car and LBJ could easily be lined up. There has to be a trick to this or something. WHAT IS IT?

did you pull the cv axle apart inside the boot?
    COUPE K24

Comment

When I did mine I got the LBJ stud aligned and bolted on (loosely) FIRST, then finagled the LCA into place to bolt up the other bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
        did you pull the cv axle apart inside the boot?

Not sure. Had same issue on other side. I hope not.

Comment

sounds like what happened.
          COUPE K24

Comment

If you hear and feel thuds rolling down the road when it’s back together, you’ll know.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
              If you hear and feel thuds rolling down the road when it’s back together, you’ll know.
              I don't think i pulled it out but the inner boot is stretched a bit and it won't slide over and line up with lbj. RIght now i have having an effn time getting radius rod bolts to line up. Its effn 10 pm and i can't leave my car sit there like that(apartments). What the hell is trick to getting those 2 bolts on radius rod to line up also. GOsh i have turned a simple job into a surrealistic nightmare.

Comment

Do you have the nut loose on the front end of the radius rod to make it freer to move? Get the bolts started at least before trying to line up the LBJ. If you didn't undo the axle nut when you disconnected the knuckle from the LBJ and pulled outward on the knuckle, you may have undone one of the CV joints. Try rotating the hub back and forth some.

There are fine threads on the radius rod bolts - I've had trouble boogering up the threads in the lower control arm to the point that I couldn't get one bolt to start.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=207873
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                  Do you have the nut loose on the front end of the radius rod to make it freer to move? Get the bolts started at least before trying to line up the LBJ. If you didn't undo the axle nut when you disconnected the knuckle from the LBJ and pulled outward on the knuckle, you may have undone one of the CV joints. Try rotating the hub back and forth some.

There are fine threads on the radius rod bolts - I've had trouble boogering up the threads in the lower control arm to the point that I couldn't get one bolt to start.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=207873
                  No i don't have the radius nut on front loose. I can't even see it. Must be under the splash shield. Yeah the radius rod is a huge pain. THe other side must of been luck even though i struggled with that also but this is going on many hours now just trying to get rod back in.

Comment

Ok there is a simple trick i should of known as i didn't realize how slanted those lower control arm holes were. Jack it up under the shock fork until it is lined up. EFFn simple and i wasted hours with this crap. Gosh i feel stupid. I hope this helps anyone else. Jacked it up and both bolts easily went in. I tried it earlier but i jacked it up too close to knuckle. FOr some reason it line sup under bushing for shock fork.

What is sad i remember this same thing happening to me over 25 years ago.
                    Last edited by zedjr10; 04-23-2018, 02:30 AM.

Comment

i can't get axle back in. Tried and tried. AM trying to find a tutorial on this. I hope i don't have to replace cv axle now. Am going to make a new post and maybe someone is online to help me.

Comment

Sounds like your disconnected the outer CV axle joint. Take it out of the car, take the boot off, put it back together. I've done this before and it sucks. You can do this under the car but the axle still needs to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                          Sounds like your disconnected the outer CV axle joint. Take it out of the car, take the boot off, put it back together. I've done this before and it sucks. You can do this under the car but the axle still needs to come out.
                          Is it simple. Cause if it isn't. AM just going to replace with a new 70 dollar axle. AM fkn beat. I also just want to do whatever is quickest now. Am so effn beat. THe axle on it is old and a reman. The boots are starting to dry rot so am sort of figuring of just replacing with new one. What a fkn nightmare i cause myself. I have changed axle on passengers side. IS it the same for drivers side. I have a manual tranny.

Comment

Same process to remove the axle on both sides. Sorry your having such a tough time with this one.
                            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

You’ll need to know how it goes together, and can be a bit frustrating when putting the bearings in the cage. You should be able to do it with snap ring pliers, ball peen, and a lot of paper towels. Go to O’Advancenapazone and get a few CV grease packs. Be careful cause if you rip a boot, you’re gonna have to get a new one.

I always tell people if you’re not breaking shit, you’re not learning. Take it as a win cause you’re better for it now.

Edit: sorry I didn’t see you’re buying a new axle. It’s the same, just connects to the intermediate shaft instead of the transmission itself. Good luck, man. Sucks to hear this is whooping on you.
                              Last edited by F22Chris; 04-23-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X