Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: better vision/wiper blade switcheroo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain-X is all good and dandy but try using it in the northeast with 10 inches of snow, and slush getting on your windshield every minute, I think no one could survive without wipers up here! On that note I just replaced my wiper inserts. $8 bucks total at the dealership.

Comment

i think cars with out wiper look ALOT clear, i took mine off
      1990 Accord EX
      JDM 94 H22A

Comment

Originally posted by JDM4DOORLX
        Tools:
        Procedure:
        Start by removing both wiperblades and pass. side wiper arm with 12mm socket. Reinstall arm with drivers side blade on so that it is on windshield as low to the hood as possible, but still on the glass. Install passenger on drivers side arm. Test wipers to ensure they don't go off glass.
        i really don't see a benefit of switching the wiper blades over. i actually see a loss. the driver side wiper blade is a lot longer compared to the passenger side. you cover more surface area on the driver side windshield with that blade rather than the passenger side one. maybe all the benefit you get is that the passenger can see a bit more. please elaborate if i'm wrong.

since it has been rainning a lot lately (in sunny southern california, who knew?!), i noticed how effective my wipers are. for the sake of this thread, attached are some shots i took of them. please clarify on this "better vision" DIY. i know we all would like to improve our vision.
        1cor10:31
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

u cant really use the rain X if u use your wipers cause it will smear and takes the visibility away. already tryed it,but beside that it works rather well

(\__/)
          (O.o )
          (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Comment

Originally posted by k-mart
            i dont have any wipers

rainX does the trick for me
            IMO rain x makes wipers work better because the water doesn't stick to the window as much therefore making it easier for the wipers to clear the rain off. and the water is already rolling off the window on its own so that makes wipers work even less hard. also, sure rain x clears your window but what about all the road grime that builds up? you need wipers to clear that stuff off.

So what happens when you have a layer of mist, or condensation, or the condensation that keeps coming back deal....what do u do then. cuz i'm pretty sure rain x won't help there. like fushigi i too am a little baffled by your idea.

Comment

I've heard that when using RainX and wiper blades that it will smear the rain more... or so says a buddy of mine. He says it works great for a little while, then it just smears like crazy when you got your wipers goin'... but it doesn't sound like anyone else has had this problem

I really want to try that FogX stuff, because I HATE having foggy windows!
              www.vancouveraccordclub.com

Comment

Originally posted by spdACCORDingly
                So what happens when you have a layer of mist, or condensation, or the condensation that keeps coming back deal....what do u do then. cuz i'm pretty sure rain x won't help there. like fushigi i too am a little baffled by your idea.
                mist really doesnt pose a problem for me anyways. and in the morning when there is a lot of water on the windshield, i just wipe it off for the most part. once i start driving, those small drops bead up and your home free

Comment

Just to clarify, your saying switch wiper arms? As in put the drivers on the passenger and passenger on the drivers?
                  My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by spoon_fed

I really want to try that FogX stuff, because I HATE having foggy windows!
                    Its pretty good, but only lasts 1-2 weeks. Cuts down on fog about 50-65% i would say on a really foggy window morning.
                    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

i switched both arms and got a longer arm for the driver side! i think for this diy to work you have to get a longer wiper for the driver side. i did and it works awesome. plus i think i can squeeze in a blade a couple of inches longer...
                      95' BB2

My Members Ride Profile

Comment

Originally posted by Nycxeracer
                        Just to clarify, your saying switch wiper arms? As in put the drivers on the passenger and passenger on the drivers?
                        not the arms, just switch the wiper BLADES. you need to remove the pass side arm though to reconfigure it so that it doesn't go off the glass when wipping. that's all but i still don't understand the benefit of doing so.
                        - 92 LX coupe
                        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Drocca19
                          i switched both arms and got a longer arm for the driver side! i think for this diy to work you have to get a longer wiper for the driver side. i did and it works awesome. plus i think i can squeeze in a blade a couple of inches longer...
                          the driver side wiper blade is supposed to be longer than the passenger side. this is how it is from the factory.

also with switching the wiper arms, you will loose that wind deflector that helps the blade wipe better. that deflector gives more pressure to the blade against the glass thus making it more effective. i wouldn't want to loose that.
                          - 92 LX coupe
                          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

I dont understand either.. why not just go buy new blades? they're supposed to be replaced fairly often.

I've never used rainX, but I have used the Armorall spray wax on my windows. I use that instead of rainX and it works the same. I rarely use my windshield wipers anymore anyway because it just beads off. only if there's that real fine mist from people driving on a wet road when it's not raining.
                            --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

Rain X is the shit you cant beat it and as far as smearing or smudging as long as you tookl the time to correctly apply it meaning you put it on let it haze and buffed it, i buff mine with two different towels, you shouldnt have a problem and at freeway speeds wipers are unneccesary.

My Ride
                              myspace

Comment

A little list:
                                1)I can't send pics from my phone to my email.(t-mobile is stupid I might add) I have to pay more.
                                2)Since it has been raining a lot in Southern Cali, you SHOULD USE wipers, regardless of Rain-X.

Timmy: The drivers side on pass. arm almost comes to the very edge of the drivers side the way I repositioned the arm. It goes all the way to the top in the middle. the only real difference is that you get more coverage in the upper-middle to right ris of windshield. I seem to need to see in that area alot while driving in my area (Antelope Velley).

I will get pics of it this weekend though! I can get ahold of a digital camera on Friday night. So look for pics late Friday, early Saturday. I work hellish hours and try to sleep as much as possible.
                                My Ride!
                                Anti-Idiot Crew #1

Comment

Working...
                                X