Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

wondering if I need a better sub system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wondering if I need a better sub system

I have a 92 EX coup. I am happy with most of my audio set up. I have a JBL CS series 60.4 full range amp (it is actually 81.4 watts RMS when running 4 speakers),and a JBL GTO3501 mono sub amp pushing two 10" JBL GT4 sub woofers. The amp has two outlets, not channels, each pushing 150 watts RMS per speaker. In a vented box. The sub woofers are rated 250 watts RMS and 1000 watts max. They are single coil speakers so I can't run them at 2 ohms. I like clean, powerful sounding bass not a thumping, annoying to all who can hear you bass. It seems that the more watts you have the cleaner the sound even when your not cranking it. I want to keep the box, but I am willing to purchase a new amp and sub woofers if I get a better sound. I'm just looking for suggestions.
    thanks, fly.

you should get a 500watt amp one that can be ran with cross over
    run the +/- wires from each sub to the amp and twist the 2 - together and then the 2 - together and stick the + to one chanel of the amp and then take the 2 + and stick them in the + on the other chanel
    make sure if there is a switch to have it were the cross over is on

Comment

When you say "better sound" what exactly are you looking for? More output? Flatter response(more range)?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I'm in a similar situation.

Current setup:
        - 2x10" clarion 400W subs (200W RMS each)
        - 400W clarion amp (running the subs)
        - OEM 5 1/4
        - OEM 6x9
        - JVC unit (nothing special)

I am going for a new setup but I wanted more front sound to even things off.
        New setup: (all purchased but the new 6x9s and sound dampening)
        - 2x10" clarion 400W DVC subs (200W RMS each)
        - 900W alpine 1/2 ohm amp
        - 200-300W alpine amp for components
        - new 5 1/4" door speakers (alpine or pioneer)
        - new 6x9 rear speakers (alpine or pioneer) (may connect to clarion amp)
        - alpine 6" alpine type R speakers (350W, 70W RMS) for speakers pods http://www.qlogicenclosures.com/q-products/q-forms/(installed near 5 1/4 front door speakers) (w/ crossovers)
        - two tweeters connected to crossovers also.
        - in-dash DVD upgrade

I really like having a mid thump in the trunk, nothing that will vibrate my license plate off though, or shake my mirror down. My goal here is to even the sound off with a lot of front end upgrades. I'm not sure where to put the tweeters though. Not near my head, so I may go with the door install that I see others doing.

Just some ideas for you.

Comment

Originally posted by fly68 View Post
          I have a 92 EX coup. I am happy with most of my audio set up. I have a JBL CS series 60.4 full range amp (it is actually 81.4 watts RMS when running 4 speakers),and a JBL GTO3501 mono sub amp pushing two 10" JBL GT4 sub woofers. The amp has two outlets, not channels, each pushing 150 watts RMS per speaker. In a vented box. The sub woofers are rated 250 watts RMS and 1000 watts max. They are single coil speakers so I can't run them at 2 ohms. I like clean, powerful sounding bass not a thumping, annoying to all who can hear you bass. It seems that the more watts you have the cleaner the sound even when your not cranking it. I want to keep the box, but I am willing to purchase a new amp and sub woofers if I get a better sound. I'm just looking for suggestions.
          thanks, fly.
          That sub amp is not a bad amp the subs are the weak link there, if you like the jbl stuff you could go to the gto subs, personaly for sound quality and decent value I would loom at the jl audio 10w3 subs for the money they are hard to beat and I have run them off that amp many times they sound great.

Comment

Originally posted by platinumb View Post
            That sub amp is not a bad amp the subs are the weak link there, if you like the jbl stuff you could go to the gto subs, personaly for sound quality and decent value I would loom at the jl audio 10w3 subs for the money they are hard to beat and I have run them off that amp many times they sound great.
            I looked at the JL 10w3 10" sub woofers and there are two or three to choose from. They seem to be made for shallow boxes. I don't know if my box has that stuffing in the open space inside or not. If I order a set, should I add the stuffing and which particular 10w3 subs are you speaking off? Thanks for your input. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by fly68 View Post
              I looked at the JL 10w3 10" sub woofers and there are two or three to choose from. They seem to be made for shallow boxes. I don't know if my box has that stuffing in the open space inside or not. If I order a set, should I add the stuffing and which particular 10w3 subs are you speaking off? Thanks for your input. Fly.
              http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?page_id=200

the w3 is not the shallow sub for output, eficiency and sound quality hey are great, they Are the best selling subwoofer in my store and I have them in two of our cars.

Comment

It depends on what you're looking for really.. I've got 10k watts going to 4 15"s in a huge sealed box.. (I went sealed for deep bass)

Comment

Originally posted by TLEJT View Post
                  It depends on what you're looking for really.. I've got 10k watts going to 4 15"s in a huge sealed box.. (I went sealed for deep bass)
                  All depends what kind of subs you have and what are you pushing them with, what its your tune(Hz) on your box? I go better ported

Comment

10k nice that's a lot, what are you running?

Comment

prove it...let's see some numbers

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Hah, I'm not going to lie, my numbers are awful.. I went for SQ more than SPL.. I can maybe burp a 152. I don't have enough airspace in the trunk. I've got one extra battery and a 200 alt up in the front. was a PAIN to squeeze that in.

EDIT:

4 RF TF2500's..
                        4 BTL 15"s.
                        Last edited by TLEJT; 08-14-2010, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Cool but what do you have for your highs?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                          X