Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Has anyone seen this amp before??? *PICS! + AUDIO SET-UP*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kapone View Post
    series wiring take 1 piece of wire and connect the negative from one coil to the positive of the other... take another single wire and connect the positive you have left to the positive of the amp. take the another single wire and connect the negative you have left to the negative of the amp. thats it ...

here is a link for diagram if your more of a visual person
    http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...1&I=42#results

As far as the "10 clock" position. Its guess to where the 80hrz cut off looks to be since the dial is very vague (personal experience subs sound better at 80hrz and lower)... Now the fact that the box is tuned to 33 hrz does not mean it doesn't play other notes, it just means it plays that one 3 db's louder ... (i'm not very well versed in ported boxes, but this has been my experience from talking to experts through the years. If i'm wrong please some one correct me)

If you like i can give you a simple way to tune it so you don't blow anything....

To let you know I've been doing audio install for over 16 years, most of those professionally, and now I only do it on a personal basis...
    I am a visual learner..thanks..

I've adjusted all the knobs from one extreme to the other just to see what it will sound like. What's in the picture is not how it is as of now but i do believe i have it set appropriately. If you like i can show you..

And sure, let me know what you think an appropriate tune would be.

your right... I stand corrected...

I was thinking 4 ohm stereo not mono... but unfortunately with that amp and considering you don't want 2 different signals going to 2 different coils on the same speaker, this is his only choice to wire it properly...

how do you loose power by setting the by pass switch correctly..?
    one thing has nothing to do with the other (power/frequency)

the way the picture is shown its set to high pass, its running his sub, it should be set to low pass...
    Turns out it IS set to low pass. I've fiddled with it before and i can tell the diff between to two. One is obviously pushing the sub much harder.

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
    That's what it looks like, but if that is high pass I don't see how it's making any sound at all. That switch might be bass ackwards and have the high and low pass switched. Or the crossover may not function.
    It is ass backwards as you say....the icon you see above the switch is somewhat obscured by a dirty smudge of some kind..but if you look closely you'll see that the arrows cross. So; Switch to the left is highpass, switch to the right is lowpass. Kinda odd, but there you go..

Now, if i were to wire it up "properly" as you said..and it has been confirmed that it would be wired up as an 8ohm mono load thereafter, won't it hurt my amp? The diagrams on the back show how to wire it for a 4ohm load only..

And thanks for the help guys..im learning alot about this specific set-up..
    Last edited by islandhopper; 04-02-2011, 12:33 AM.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by CBsevenTUNER View Post
      So here's my question...
      Has anyone heard of a Powerhouse 2.5 made by Earthquake of SanFrancisco?

Im almost certain this model is discontinued, but I bought one for $50 from a guy off of CL. It has definitely been worth the money..

I can't seem to get any solid info on it.. I read somewhere it may be an 800watt RMS 2-channel amp (Definitely feels like it..) but im not sure. On the back of it, it has a diagram that shows a configuration for "mono application"; which is how i have it wired.

It has a two knobs to adjust equal loudness, one in the 45hz range and the other in the 12Khz range; a Filter Setting knob from 20Hz to 5Khz and a gain knob to adjust for a weak head unit (I have my gain knob barely turned up at all). It does have a warning that states the gain knob should never be turned past the "12 o'clock" mark... I've turned it up to about the 10 o'clock mark and blew a fuse.

Im running this "800w RMS" Earthquake Powerhouse 2.5 amp to a 12" MTX Audio Thunder 6000 Series in a ported box tuned to 33mhz with a Clarion CZ109 50w x 4 head unit.

The sub is a dual VC at 4ohms each, so i've only wired up one coil since the diagram shows only one coil at 4ohms when wired for mono application. (Don't wanna fry my amp..derrr)

All in all, this set-up has served me well and is very loud when i want it to be. Even with only one coil wired up, this shit bumps! I do plan on upgrading to a mono-block class-D amp, wiring up both voice-coils and using a cap sometime in the near future... but i was wondering if any of you well educated Audiophiles had any info for me.. whether it be on the amp itself or any tips or suggestions as to how i have it wired up or even suggestions on other equipment that may improve upon what i already have..

Thanks for reading!

oh yeah, here; i'll throw in a pic of my CB..Don't hate! i know im monster truckin'
      i see u have the amp bridged. are your speakers d class 4 ohm. if so try running each speaker to seperate .channels. thats what i had to do. nice cb by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelbag View Post
        i see u have the amp bridged. are your speakers d class 4 ohm. if so try running each speaker to seperate .channels. thats what i had to do. nice cb by the way.
        Thanks for the compliment, but did you read this thread in its entirety? Im sure if you do it will answer your question..

And would you mind editing your post so that you're not showing all the same pics that are already on this page...its wasting space, since you only posted a one line comment. It would be much appreciated. Thank you..

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by nickelbag View Post
          class d is a designation for amps not speakers ... and subs should always be run on a mono signal. if you run each voice coil to each channel thats 2 separate signals going into the same speaker, not a good thing could lead to blowing the sub a lot faster...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

This is how i currently have my sub wired..

I was going to attempt to wire them in series, but i have no idea what im doing. I feel dumb now..

Can anyone offer me advice?
            Last edited by islandhopper; 04-03-2011, 02:22 AM.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

i think i might have figured it out...i'll post up once i try it out..

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by CBsevenTUNER View Post
                i think i might have figured it out...i'll post up once i try it out..
                click the link in one of my previous post ... it shows you how.

here it is again...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

click the link in one of my previous post ... it shows you how.

here it is again...

Yeah, i know bro...i used that as my reference and still got bamboozled.

If you look in the pics, each VC has four prongs. Im not sure which of the prongs to wire...does it matter? I'll give it a go in a minute and report back.

Just a question...What way did i have it wired in the first place? Was it alright?

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

the way you had it wired was 2ohm. connect a wire from the - on voice coil 1 to the + on voice coil 2 then connect the two remaining to the amp(+ on voice coil 1 to + on amp and - on voice coil 2 to the - on amp. make sense?

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

i would also change that little wire to something bigger

Comment

Originally posted by 92turboaccord View Post
                        i would also change that little wire to something bigger
                        True that. I put atleast 12ga on subs.

Most amps are rated at 14.4 volts but a vehicle has a hard time keeping that voltage. I usually see around 13.6-13.8 on a stock/stockish car.

It doesn't matter which little prong you wire it to..behind the prong there is only one wire.

Parallel wiring is just as the name implies. +coil1 to +coil2 to +amp and -coil1 to -coil2 to -amp...you would be running the two signals in parallel with each other...this will take your ohm rating down.

Series is like daisy-chaining. +coil1 to -coil2..then -coil1 to -amp and +coil2 to +amp. Sometimes, to me, it doesn't sound right in theory but it is...this will take your ohm rating up.

So a 4ohm DVC sub would be 2ohm parallel mono and 8ohm series mono...or you could just use one coil and wire it at 4ohm mono. Some people don't like to use just one coil on a DVC sub but I've been doing it for years on my old-school 10" Kicker DVC CVRs and they have never skipped a beat. I've heard that you are supposed to use both coils on a DVC sub to prevent damage to the unused coil but I don't believe it. They started using DVCs to allow for more wiring flexibility.

Comment

It is safe to use one coil, but you'll get diminished performance

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

That amp is old school Earthquake was a good brand and was popular in the early 90's. A friend of mines brother worked for Earthquake and still runs there amps and there like 20 years old
                            MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=196248

Comment

If you didnt figure it out, like this brah.

Comment

Originally posted by EJX_Michael View Post
                                If you didnt figure it out, like this brah.
                                LOL...thanks brah

Im going to try this before work today..

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Working...
                                X