Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUSP : 5-lug conversion (the all-prelude way)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP : 5-lug conversion (the all-prelude way)

With all the talk about 5lug conversions, i figured id finally get this up, just to have it out there. if you know what youre doing you can figure it out pretty easily, so youll just have to manage until we are able to get pics up.

BACKGROUND INFO:
    why search down mixing and matching odyssey/lude/accord parts when finding a lude and grab the whole shebang works just as well? excalibur02 managed to get a 99 lude parts car, so viola, all the 5lug conversion parts we needed were there. including crossmembers and stuff, which lots of people think you need - you *dont*

CREDIT:
    the original idea for this came from mayberry's car, he bought his car with the front 5 lug using prelude parts... but we didnt know exactly how it was set up. THEN excalibur02 wanted to do his, so i helped him out, and what you see below is the result. all pics (when they get posted) are of excalibur02's car.

NOTES ABOUT THIS CONVERSION:
    * * READ THE ENTIRE THREAD FOR MORE DETAILED INFO * *
    - use non-SH parts! the knuckles from a lude SH will not fit.
    - the way the upper control arm sits with the new knuckle, this mod will give you POSITIVE camber at stock height. if your car is lowered, it will most likely push it out and return your camber to just about STOCK without the need to use a camber kit in the front. if you have a camber kit in there now, youll need to remove it, or readjust it!!! with mauri's car, putting stock upper control arm anchors back in was perfect enough to have his camber go just about dead on after this conversion.

*****PARTS NEEDED:*****
    - front knuckles (with bearings and hubs still in em) from 97-01 prelude
    - rear hubs and bearings from 97-01 prelude
    - pair of front rotors for 97-01 prelude
    - pair of rear rotors for 97-01 integra type R
    - recommended new pads all around, match them to the calipers you use (front = prelude and rear = accord)
    - driver side axle from a 5th gen accord (correct tranny type matters)

---------------------------------------------

FOR THE FRONT:

Basically, just pop the lower ball joint, upper ball joint, and tie rod. remove everything connecting the knuckle to the car.

when directly reinstalling the prelude knuckle in place of the accord one:

- The accord upper control arm ball joint fits into the lude knuckle. or you can swap over to lude upper control arms if they are newer, both work
    - important: stock tie rods mount under the accord knuckle. they mount OVER the prelude knuckle. SO: remove both tie rods and reinstall them on the opposite side, facing the other direction. so the LEFT side tie rod which normally faced up should be on the RIGHT side facing down. do for both sides. if your tie rods are bad, now would be the time to replace them.
    - swap in the 5th gen accord driver side axle - the accord one is too short, and the prelude one is too long. 5gen one works perfectly. your stock PASSENGER side axle is fine, leave that one alone.
    - LOWER BALL JOINT - the lude uses a larger ball joint with a 19mm nut, the accord uses smaller with a 17mm. SO youll need to either find a way to swap the accord lower ball joint into the lude knuckle, or if you were mauricio, use a grinder and expand out the hole of the lower control arm to accomodate the larger ball joint. there is a reamer tool available designed with the proper taper for balljoint studs, for this very situation: Ball Joint Reamer (thanks 90accords)

FOR THE REAR

BustedLX made the official rear 5lug conversion thread, follow that: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=16241

mauricio has an LX with rear drums, so after swapping to rear discs, he still doesnt have ABS so the excitor rings and sensors dont matter for him. if you have an EX with ABS/rear discs youll need to follow busted's guide (NOT THIS ONE) and do a little more work. but basically the same thing.

for you LX's who converted to rear disc who are doing the 5lgu conversion:

Take off the 32mm nut holding the stock 4lug bearing/hub onto your car. do the same for the prelude bearings/hubs. youll notice the lude and accord ones are similar enough to just slide the new 5lug prelude bearing and hub back onto the car and put the PRELUDE nut back on.

the ONLY special thing you need is a set of rear rotors for a 97-01 ITR.

Thats all I can think of right now, pictures will come within the next few weeks.

any questions feel free to ask, me and mauricio will probably be able to answer any questions.
    Last edited by owequitit; 10-10-2015, 10:19 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

thats great guys, awesome work with the trial and error

Comment

I'll add that the reason people swap over the 5th gen lude's lower crossmember is because they use the 5th gen's lower control arms to accomodate the larger ball joint.

Personally the expanding our smaller lower control arm with a grinder or whatever is a rig. I wouldn't do it. If it IS possible to press out the Prelude's lower ball joint and replace it with ours then I would deffinately do that for two reasons.

A) It would make the swap easier because of the less parts to change (lower crossmember, control arms, etc.)

B) The Preludes lower ball joint according to Honda is not replaceable, you have to purchase the entrie knuckle sooooo that blows.

If you can press out the ball joint and swap it that's a plus... but if you think about it.... then that's as much if not more work then just grabbing Odyssey parts.

It is great that you have presented this option... and for those who have access to the parts cheap that's good. But on the norm... 5th gen Prelude parts from the junkyard are pretty costly, whereas Odyssey and 2nd gen Legend stuff is a dime a dozen. Atleast the parts we would need.

Anyhow I look forward to the pictures, keep up the good work.
      My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Originally posted by BustedLX
        I'll add that the reason people swap over the 5th gen lude's lower crossmember is because they use the 5th gen's lower control arms to accomodate the larger ball joint.

Personally the expanding our smaller lower control arm with a grinder or whatever is a rig. I wouldn't do it. If it IS possible to press out the Prelude's lower ball joint and replace it with ours then I would deffinately do that for two reasons.

A) It would make the swap easier because of the less parts to change (lower crossmember, control arms, etc.)

B) The Preludes lower ball joint according to Honda is not replaceable, you have to purchase the entrie knuckle sooooo that blows.

If you can press out the ball joint and swap it that's a plus... but if you think about it.... then that's as much if not more work then just grabbing Odyssey parts.

It is great that you have presented this option... and for those who have access to the parts cheap that's good. But on the norm... 5th gen Prelude parts from the junkyard are pretty costly, whereas Odyssey and 2nd gen Legend stuff is a dime a dozen. Atleast the parts we would need.

Anyhow I look forward to the pictures, keep up the good work.

Agree with you Jose, I used Odyssey/Oasis knuckles. A lot faster and cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by jeesare
          Agree with you Jose, I used Odyssey/Oasis knuckles. A lot faster and cheaper.
          yeah, while this method a viable option, 5th gen prelude stuff is a little rare to find in the salvage yard and would be a little more expensive, but if it does offer the benefit of camber correction it would have something in its favor. (i think that the 'lude upper A arms are shorter than accord parts which accounts for the camber correction.)

I went the odyssey route for knuckles, but great job on finally figuring out how to make it work !
          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

wow more people are taking initiatives; I LOVE IT! good job on that mike! when i had my 5th gen lude knuckles i saw that i couldn't just use them. there were TWO lower ball joints on the them. i later found out that the lude was an SH model. i don't think you mentioned this but you will need to use non-SH lude parts for this DIY.

SH prelude

non-SH prelude

now i just wish the lude knuckles i had were non-SH. it would have made my whole conversion much easier.
            1cor10:31
            - 92 LX coupe
            - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

so about how much will the whole set-up cost (for the parts) cause i want to do this, when i get mo money and get 05 rsx type s wheels. and will s 2000 rims fit our cars with no problem, cause i know that thats rear wheel drive.. thanx
              THIS ONE HERE IS CRACK!!

Comment

Originally posted by MDIZZLE4SHIZZLE
                will s 2000 rims fit our cars with no problem, cause i know that thats rear wheel drive.. thanx
                you need four fronts

Comment

Originally posted by k-mart
                  you need four fronts
                  ok but they will be all good to go eh???
                  THIS ONE HERE IS CRACK!!

Comment

I don't know about needing the four fronts, has anyone really tried this?! I think if I get motivated tomorrow I might swap wheels with my Bro's S2K and see what it looks like. I think putting the wider S2K wheels up front might look cool.
                    My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

wow. didnt know u made this already mike. well as u guys read. i had a totalled prelude. so the parts for me was lol there. thats why i wanted to know how i would be able to use prelude parts instead of spending more money on odyssey parts.

thanks mike, and eric

Comment

I don't know about needing the four fronts, has anyone really tried this?! I think if I get motivated tomorrow I might swap wheels with my Bro's S2K and see what it looks like. I think putting the wider S2K wheels up front might look cool.
                        i dont know about the S2k wheels but i know the NSX wheels are different and you need four fronts.

but sounds good mike i know its harder out here to even get lude parts so im glad if i find 1 lude i can rip through it and get all my parts in one place.

Comment

1 again Mike awsome job bro sweet

LEAVE NO DOUBT!
                          If God is for Me
                          Who Dares be aganist Me!
                          BX Crew
                          HSHO # 6
                          Lexotic Concepts 019

Comment

i have found that everyone, and i mean everyone, says to use four fronts. and i have seen, but of course never tried, them on almost every honda/acura imaginable. from a legend to a 5th gen accord, to the 92-95 civics (all body styles), ITR, 97+ lude, you name it, lol. well, w/ the exception of a CB.

ive heard of people trying to fit the 7.5" wide/ 65 offset rear wheels onto the rears of their ITR's and they all have said that the rim hits the trailing arms. im not sure about using them up front, but that is where you come in man!

let us know, and take pics!

Comment

Originally posted by k-mart
                              i have found that everyone, and i mean everyone, says to use four fronts. and i have seen, but of course never tried, them on almost every honda/acura imaginable. from a legend to a 5th gen accord, to the 92-95 civics (all body styles), ITR, 97+ lude, you name it, lol. well, w/ the exception of a CB.

ive heard of people trying to fit the 7.5" wide/ 65 offset rear wheels onto the rears of their ITR's and they all have said that the rim hits the trailing arms. im not sure about using them up front, but that is where you come in man!

let us know, and take pics!
                              timmy0tool has a set of wheels that are 8" wide with a +58 offset and a 225 series tire, and they won't fit for driving.

the s2k wheels aren't as wide, but have a high offset (not sure if it is +65 or not). makes me think that at the very least, it would be cutting it close. it would be interesting to see if they could work though.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

Working...
                              X