Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENG: MAIN RELAY REMOVAL AND REPAIR (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: MAIN RELAY REMOVAL AND REPAIR (pics)

I finally decided it was time to fix my annoying main relay. After reading countless threads on this forum and others, I've noticed that pictures and detailed instructions are impossible to find. Vague drawings in repair manuals are all I've seen for the most part.

Here we go!

You need a socket wrench with an extention or 2, a size 10mm socket, and some patients. You might even want to do some yoga before attempting this. The location of the main relay in our cars is the main reason this job is hard.

Put your upper body including your head, down on the floor board where your feet normally go. Now look up left of the stearing columb, above and left of the fuse box. You won't be able to see the main relay yet. The cruise control box is in the way.
    So there are 2 10mm bolts holding the CC box in place. Remove those and slide the box out of the way.
    Here is the CC Box dropped down by the foot rest.

Now you should be able to see the main relay.

Now don't bother unconnecting the connector yet. It is a tight space to work in, and the connector is tight. There is one 10mm bolt holding the main relay case to the car body. Take that bolt off. Now, you might be able to remove the relay at this point, but maybe not. There is a black plastic box painfully close to the main relay, and the metal relay bracket is undernieth that plastic box bracket. Take off the other 10mm bolt to that bracket in order to loosen it up. Now with a few wiggles, the main relay box comes right out. Now you can unconnect the conector, with the help of a screwdriver for a little prying.

Here is the culprit:

The problem that causes us all pain. These are the 2 locations that looked obviously cracked to me. There could be others that are hard to see visibly, so I went ahead and resoldered every single connection.

Now I'm not an experienced person at soldering, in fact, I've only attempted it once or twice before. It's not that hard. I got a 30amp solderer from Radio Shack, and the thinest wire they had.

I've read somewhere before, that after soldering, you should drill some holes in the main relay holder box. Not sure of the purpose of this, maybe it keeps the relay cooler. Can't hurt, so I did it. I used some sharp surgery scissors to put 4 holes through the casing, since I have no drill.

Installation is the reverse of removal. It wasn't that difficult, really.

Then pray you didn't damage the relay, and start the car
    Mine started right up. Now only time will tell how the resoldered joints hold up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Last edited by 4CYLPOWER92; 06-21-2008, 12:42 AM.

My swap thread
    Main relay proplems?--DIY

wow nice write up kane, i'm sure this will help a lot of people out
    Members Ride

Comment

I hope so. I just had to share my pain

My swap thread

Comment

just wondering you solder right on the green thing right? wat happens if you solder 2 of those soldering points together? im just not exactly sure what to solder?
        1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

Yeah, you solder those round silver things that are already soldered from the factory. If you solder 2 of them together, you are screwed. But there are tools for removing solder.
          Last edited by 4CYLPOWER92; 08-13-2006, 06:03 PM.

My swap thread

Comment

Nice DIY. Anybody know if someone other than Mitsuba makes a compatible relay? Just wondering if the design was ever fixed/bettered over the years. I take it there wasn't ever a TSB for this ...
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

if you take this plastic cover off, it's a lot easier. once you take off the plastic cover, there're 4 10mm bolts holding a metal brace on. remove those bolts and you should be able to see the main relay.

later.
              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

That reminds me of the day I had to take mine out to get fixed.

You should do all points since it is already out, and it is not hard at all.

The relay is a good design, it is just that the cars las too long!

You remove the cover, but you still have to go at it from underneath, and the position is the sux on your back.

X

Comment

Tried this yesterday on two bad relays, and they both work flawlessly now.....great write up......sure beats paying $70+ from the dealer new
                  1991 Honda Accord Ex
                  Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

2003 BMW 330I Sport.....Daily Hustler....

Road Race #1
                  Totoro Squad #2

Comment

that piece is 70$ WTF????

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Originally posted by Stealthman80
                      that piece is 70$ WTF????
                      I bought mine new on eBay for $35 shipped about 2 years ago...always an option I guess.

Comment

i don't know where you guys get your parts, but i bought mine from the honda dealership for $45. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I did this the other day...hehe you have the same radio shack iron and solder I got! I got a desoldering iron while I was there too, works good once you get the hang of it.

bummer for me is, I fixed the relay and turns out nothing was wrong with it, so I wasted a whole bunch of time but I'm sure it will come in handy down the road somewhere

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                          where you been, is something wrong?
                          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

thanks for this! the pics should help myself as well as others. i need to do this as well. i never thought about resoldering the connections before so thanks for saving me a few bucks and a trip to the dealership.
                            1cor10:31
                            - 92 LX coupe
                            - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                              thanks for this! the pics should help myself as well as others. i need to do this as well. i never thought about resoldering the connections before so thanks for saving me a few bucks and a trip to the dealership.
                              Yep, I wouldn't expect an Electrical Engineer to go buy one of these!! LOL.

My swap thread

Comment

Working...
                              X