Brake Pad Too Thick, Caliper Hangs Up When Slide Bolts are Tightened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pad Too Thick, Caliper Hangs Up When Slide Bolts are Tightened

Installed new front (and rear) pads on my 92 rescue project. The right front rotor turns relatively easily until I tighten the slide pins (Nissin calipers); then it appears to clamp the outer pad against the rotor. The left side works as it should. First thought it was the caliper not relaxing, so I rebuilt the caliper with new seals so the piston now moves pretty easily. Same result.

Ran out of time this evening. To confirm it, I'll take the caliper out and see where the slide pin bottoms and maybe put a washer under the head of the slide pins to allow it to float a little further out. I don't want to leave the washers in; so I if I confirm the pad is to thick any recommendations on how to shave the pad down?
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

when this happened on my toyota, I removed the backer shim from the back of the pad - not sure if yours are that style

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

It does have one shim; it came already installed on the pad.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

So if one side works and the other doesn't then find the fault. It has to be the caliper isn't pushing in all the way or the pins are different. I doubt the pads are different thicknesses. Let's see some measurements for right vs. left.
        Assuming the parts are the correct ones you shouldn't have to remove the backing plate on the pads or shave them down. Just need to bottom out the caliper.

Comment

I know all that - just ran out of time yesterday evening before the rain moved in. The piston wasn't the issue; I removed it, cleaned it and the bore, and installed a new seal and boot. It fully retracted easily. I can tighten the lower bolt almost all the way without issue; it is primarily the upper one that binds it up. Having said that, the upper one has a rubber sleeve on the end - I wonder if I wound up with a little too much grease in the bottom of the hole. The rubber does have a slot across it I think to prevent it from trapping grease there.

Comment

Ya.. I'm curious what the answer is though. Can't say I've seen a boot on the end of a caliper pin?

Comment

OEM sliders have them. Even my 04 TL has a rubber boot on one of the pins on each side.
              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Well the usual boot. I thought he meant on the inside / opposite side of pin.

Comment

Should have taken a picture. I guess I got too grease happy when installing the pins. There was enough in the end of the pin hole (if you put grease in the hole, the grommet will scrape it all off and push it to the bottom of the hole) that the rubber bushing on the end of the pin sealed the hole and trapped enough grease to prevent the pin from going all the way to the bottom of the hole which in turn pulled the caliper inboard clamping the outer pad against the rotor. Cleaned out the hole and the end of the pin, then lubricated only the pin outboard of the bushing. Sprayed just a little MotorKote lubricant on the bushing to help it slide in without sealing. Caliper now works as it should.

Bushing is item 14, goes on the end of item 17.

Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-07-2018, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                    Well the usual boot. I thought he meant on the inside / opposite side of pin.
                    We both did and at least Paul provided a parts diagram for it.
                    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Riiight. ok. Glad you figured it out.

Comment

belt sander lol
                        COUPE K24

Comment

Working...
                        X