Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Header/Downpipe Removal 1 Piece Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Header/Downpipe Removal 1 Piece Possible?

Was trying to remove my OEM downpipe and header(Not sure if CB7 or Prelude since its swapped). Im starting to strip my nuts that hold the downpipe and header together.

~Is it possible to remove these pieces connected?~

No, I havn't used PB blaster yet, or a breaker bar. I figure if they're stripping just on a 1/2 drive socket the breaker wont help. Possibly the PB will, but it seems rusty as heak.

Sorry, there is no way to get them out in one piece.

Heat is your best friend when it comes to working on stubborn exhaust studs and nuts. I use benz-o-matic MAPP Gas (Yellow). Heat the nut up cherry and hammer on the next size down socket. Should back off without any issues.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
      Sorry, there is no way to get them out in one piece.

Heat is your best friend when it comes to working on stubborn exhaust studs and nuts. I use benz-o-matic MAPP Gas (Yellow). Heat the nut up cherry and hammer on the next size down socket. Should back off without any issues.
      Well thats not too bad. About how long to heat up the bolts under heat?

Comment

Usually if I'm using MAPP gas I only have to heat it up for a minute. If it doesn't break loose right away, just heat it up for a bit longer. After you heat it up it shouldn't take much pressure to break that initial hold.
        Last edited by GhostAccord; 05-19-2017, 10:21 PM.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Do you have access to air tools? An impact gun makes it 1000 times easier as well.
          I know when I disconnected my header & downpipe I had to let my impact gun really get at
          the bolt for a minute or two so that it could break the bolt loose (along with a ton of PB Blaster).
          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Couldn't you drop the entire thing in one piece if you removed the front crossmember and lifted the front of the car sufficiently?
            I believe there was at least one expensive H22 header that was a one-piece design. Installing it was a hassle, but doable. I'd assume if a performance header with larger primaries can be installed that way, the factory part must be able to come out the same way.

Still, getting it out in two pieces would probably be the easier route, even if you have to use fire to do it.

Comment

You would probably need to lift the car at least 2' for it to clear enough to drop it through the bottom. If one has access to a hoist, you could drop the cross member and drop the header though the bottom.
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

If it can't be lifted enough, could one get enough room by removing the lower cross member, radiator, and upper radiator support?
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                X