View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #74
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toycar View Post
If you are willing to drop the coin on the appropriate measuring tools, you can do it.

Dont get scared of this. Its not rocket science, its just elaborate.

Measuring is the hard part. Most of the measuring is just addition and subtraction using small numbers and double checking everything.

You have to check;

-Crankshaft end play
-Clearance between crankshaft and mains
-Clearance between crankshaft and rods
-Piston to cylinder wall clearance

And that is pretty much it for the rotational assembly assuming you can trust the machine shop did everything correctly.

I double check everything that comes home from the machine shop and I feel that is a good idea. Some people don't, and find out the hard way that something is .15 off.

Assembly really isnt that difficult as long as you follow instructions well and take the time to do it right.

There is an investment involved in the tools required to do it correctly. Its up to you if you want to invest in tools and learning to do this yourself or just pay someone to do it. I would do it myself if i was you. Down the road it'll pay off 10 fold if you continue to play with cars/motors and such.

If this is your first build, I can almost promise you'll do it again. Its too much fun building engines to stop after you know how to do it. I bet you are already excited and wanting to touch stuff and bolt shit together.

The finished product is very empowering, especially when you can honestly claim "built not bought"
Why buy tools for a job he will do once and possibly do wrong, whereas he can pay professionals (probably less) to do the job right once?

As far as the chassis to put this in... I would go w/a 4th gen Lude or Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote