Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Exhaust set up. Best sound and performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust set up. Best sound and performance

Just got a 92 with a 2.2L looking for some direction on which way to go as far as the headers and exhaust pipes. Brands. Types. Ect. HELP

ebay header, collector mod, vibrant ultra quiet resonator and vibrant muffler.

There aren't too many header options for the F series.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Let me give you my experiences first and then suggestions.

First setup I had:
      Chikara (Hedman) header, CarSound (Magnaflow) catalytic converter, and Magnaflow cat-back.
      Loved the sound for the first few months... got real tired of the drone at cruising speeds. Anywhere from 40-45mph it's just awful.

Second setup:
      Chikara (Hedman) header, CarSound (Magnaflow) catalytic converter, Magnaflow cat-back WITH Car Chemistry insert installed right after the cat. converter.
      This helped with the drone quite a lot at the 40-45mph speed... just that it moved it down to 30-35mph... so kinda better for highway, HORRIBLE for city driving.

Third setup:
      Bisimoto header (POS), Magnaflow short cat., same Magnaflow cat-back with CC insert removed.
      Probably the best sounding setup from startup, idle, and most driving speeds. Also probably the best performance wise. BUT the drone is crazy stupid at 3000 RPMs and higher regardless of speed. That and the Bisimoto header leaks like a sieve.

Knowing what I know no, I would avoid Magnaflow mufflers like the plague and would have saved my money and time wasted on the damn Bisimoto header as well .

Header wise, I could and would recommend the Chikara/Hedman header. Doesn't leak, fairly good performance wise, would compare it to that of the A6 manifold, but it is a stepped primaries. Hasn't rusted or failed even having it wrapped all these years.

A good high flow catalytic converter. Both Magnaflow/CarSound cats. performed well, held up well, no real issues. Do not get just a test pipe. Your exhaust will smell like ass all the time without it and I (as well as other people) will hate you for it.

Muffler/resonator. I would agree with the Vibrant muffler and resonator.

Going to a reputable muffler shop and getting an exhaust system made is probably your best bet. You can get the mufflers/resonators/chambers you want.

Probably a bit wordy and drawn out, but those are my opinions on the exhaust pieces and parts I've had the most experience with over the years.
      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

If you've got a bit of extra money to spend and care about the quality of work and construction of the finished product, I would recommend getting your piping from KTeller.

They have a very good selection.

http://store.kteller.com/kteller_inc...px?aid=9245448

Add you Vibrant resonator and muffler to a full stainless piping kit and you'll have one of the nicest exhausts on the forum. I'd make sure the welder who does it can weld stainless, though.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

^
          That and Mike Kmetz is a great guy to work/deal with.

Comment

DC/Megan/A4 manifold, high flow cat, at least one resonator, vibrant/Magnaflow/borla muffler. 2.25” piping is best.

If the drone gets to you, install a j-pipe thing. I’m sorry you have had bad experiences with Magnaflow stuff, Jon. I love them! MK2 had it, and the S15 has one (a cheap shitty O’AdvanceZone one too). The drone is only in 4th gear under load in the truck. None at all when I had the VW.

Comment

Magnaflow always sounded off to me..hell id rather run a glasspack lol
              Follow me on IG to see my builds/pics
              dmfb919

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                DC/Megan/A4 manifold, high flow cat, at least one resonator, vibrant/Magnaflow/borla muffler. 2.25” piping is best.

If the drone gets to you, install a j-pipe thing. I’m sorry you have had bad experiences with Magnaflow stuff, Jon. I love them! MK2 had it, and the S15 has one (a cheap shitty O’AdvanceZone one too). The drone is only in 4th gear under load in the truck. None at all when I had the VW.
                Oh yeah, I love the sound from outside the vehicle and I love the tone they have on other vehicles (one of my best friends/neighbors installed a Magnaflow on an 84 VW Rabbit Cabriolet and it sounded awesome). But for some reason I just hate their cat-back on CBs. I think the resonator they use for the 15687 kit is worthless. When I swapped out for the larger diameter and shorter catalytic converter that helped changed the tone significantly.

Next year I'll be tackling it, too cold right now.

Comment

On my old CB with an H22 swap, I had the factory H22 header (you could get an OEM H23A1 piece that would be fairly similar in construction and flow), an OEM style replacement catalytic converter (I don't mess with "high flow" stuff... OEM style flows well enough, and seems to work better and last longer), and 2.5" crush-bent piping running through the longest resonators I could cram in there, out to a generic stainless DTM style muffler supplied by my muffler shop. The setup lasted for many, many years. It was a little loud, but never raspy. I love the look and sound of the higher quality exhaust systems, but I never felt the need to replace what I had. Granted, it's a gamble going with generic "muffler shop" stuff, as you could get crap just as easily as you get quality. I happened to get quality.

If you want to go with an old standby for a header, DC Sports makes a very high quality piece. You could even weld on a larger merge collector to open up that bottleneck (most headers you find for the F22A will have fairly small collectors.)
                  The other brands mentioned above are also very good, but DC is another good option.

Some people have had luck with the cheap stuff like Megan Racing or OBX. Sometimes they don't fit correctly, and sometimes they crack... but if you want cheaper, those brands are generally decent more often than not.

Go-to exhaust brands have always been Greddy, RS*R (be careful not to be fooled by the "ebay" company SR*S.... NOT the same thing!), and Apexi. All three brands have always been consistently good in terms of fitment and sound, though I'm honestly not sure if they all still support the CB7. If they don't you may be able to hunt down used parts.

Comment

I am very hesitant to recommend getting a high flow cat as I think that's what wrecked the sound of my exhaust.

I had the F22a1 with the A'Pex-i World Sport 2 catback with the stock manifold and cat. It sounded fantastic, barely louder than OEM. The majority of noise was intake, which was fine by me. I then added the Megan Racing header and a Carsound high flow cat. Now, my Megan header did have a cracked flex pipe which I had fixed after I installed it on the car. However, after I did the header / cat, I had a wicked rasp at about 2,500 RPM under acceleration.

I bought the header from a friend who had it on her EX with a Magnaflow catback and a stock catalytic converter that didn't have any issues with it in terms of rasp. I have to believe the cat is what caused the issue.

Comment

Yeah I’ve heard a lot about them Megan racing headers. Will the high flow cat make too much noise tho

Comment

Megan Racing is just a knockoff brand. Keep that in mind.
                        Most high flow cats perform as AccordWarrior described. Some people have good results. Most complain about increased raspiness.

Comment

I have had great luck with a DC Sports header, bolt-in magnaflow cat, and WS2 catback. No rasp and the WS2 muffler is one of the best imo as it doesn't sound like a can. The only issue I've had is the muffler doesn't fit my bumper (wagon) so it's more of an issue with the car.

Comment

Working...
                          X