SUSP : 5 lug conversion 6th Gen Accord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP : 5 lug conversion 6th Gen Accord

Alright I started this write up and realized I needed to get some more things worked out before I posted it. Without further ado here is a list of parts needed. I will have the pix up as I have the time to post them. I will post the fronts first as this is more easily accessible for me right now.

FRONT: PARTS LIST: $35.00 plus tax per side from the junkyard COMPLETE with rotor and caliper and all.
    From what I KNOW TO BE TRUE RIGHT NOW- THESE ARE A DIRECT BOLT IN FOR ALL CB's and DO NOT REQUIRE REAMING OUT THE LOWER CONTROL ARM.... MEANING: the lower ball joint is the SAME SIZE.....

00-02 EX 4dr and 2DR V6 front knuckles WITHOUT UPPER A ARMS just the front knuckles WITH calipers/ rotors.... the 98-99 I have ONLY seen v6 in LX forms and these ARE DIFFERENT and have a smaller inner spline and WILL NOT WORK FROM THE LX OR 98-02 V6....

SIDE BY SIDE OF 98 LX V6 NO BUENO....

This is the vehicle I pulled them from.... 00 EX 4dr

Side by side of 98 LX (Left and facing front... see the smaller diameter shaft spline... THESE WILL NOT WORK!!!!), 91 CB7 hub Middle facing down (see the 4 hub bolts?), FAR RIGHT 01 V6 EX(facing down with the S5 stamp and white sticker on it) ...

Side by side of cb7 hub VS v6 EX HMMM LOOK AT THE SIZE DIFFERENCE!

Side by side with H22 shaft stuck inside the 00 EX hub.... SEE THE S5 STAMP... THIS IS WHAT THEY HAVE TO HAVE STAMPED INTO THEM TO WORK!!!!

00 EX 4dr shot of placement of tie rod being underside JUST LIKE CB's

INSTALLED after rotors turned- there was a slight amount of surface rust on the rotors even though they were NEW with NEW pads... I went ahead and turned them for obvious reasons. I also showed the shot of the brake line still attached from the CB and from the 00EX... I recommend using the CB line since it is a little longer. I tried attaching the 00EX and it WILL work but it will be TIGHT after suspension install.

Prerequisite: I should hope before you start this project that you have the following:
    A.obtained all the parts listed above
    B. Have tools or access to tools to get the job done
    (tool list I used as follows 1. 36mm socket,17mm sockets, 12mm sockets, 10mm sockets and 10mm open end wrench, pliers, hammers 1 small sledge 1 12lb or so size, needle nose (possibly), flathead screwdriver, 1/2" ratchet, 3/8" ratchet and I use a 1/4" ratched too and possibly a ball joint seperator if necessary oh and last but not least a cup or container to catch brake fluid, jack and jackstands)
    C. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR LACK OF KNOWLEDGE ON HOW TO USE TOOLS PROPERLY- in other words if you don't know what you are doing please get help from someone that at least knows how to use a ratchet and wrench.

1. obtain above parts listed above or as follows- 00-02 Accord V6 EX front knuckles STAMPED S5 on back on dust cover, with caliper, rotor and you DO NOT NEED upper A arms.
    2. jack car up
    3. remove wheels
    4. remove cv shaft 36mm nut and you can either A. Leave shaft in or B. take shaft out (taking it out is easier for me but you CAN leave it in to do this)
    5. remove 12mm bolt from back of caliper and place a cup or container to grab any brake fluid, remove the 2 10mm bolts from the side of the a arm as well. DONT FORGET TO PLACE THE CUP OR CONTAINER UNDER THE LINE... it WILL LEAK...
    6. leaving the UPPER A ARM IN..... remove 10mm dust cover bolts from upper a arm knuckle joint
    7. remove cotter pin in upper ball joint and losen BUT LEAVE IN the 17mm nut
    8. remove cotter pin from tie rod, remove 17mm nut and tap the knuckle NOT THE END OF THE TIE ROD with a hammer... the tie rod should fall out.... IF NOT place the 17mm nut back on the tie rod and smack it with the hammer till it looosens... DO NOT HIT THE TIE ROD END WITH THE HAMMER DIRECTLY AS THIS WILL MESS THE THREADS UP.... You can use a ball joint seperator as well.... I dont like this option as it normally will tear the grease joint up....
    9. on the very bottom of the knuckle (the nut and cotter pin face the ground underneath) remove cotter pin and remove 17mm lower ball joint nut.... smack the lower control arm with a BIG OL HAMMER and then pull up on the knuckle, should come right out of the lower control arm and if not hit again a few times and repeat process. Your last resort is the ball joint seperator which I do NOT use....
    10. go back to your upper a arm ball joint that you loosened the 17mm on and remove that nut now.... smack with a hammmer on the knuckle side and you should come right off....
    11. REMOVE the WHOLE KNUCKLE
    12. REPEAT PROCESS FOR OPPOSITE SIDE
    13. Reverse process INSTALLING the 00-01 EX knuckles.....

REAR: You need the following parts:
    1. Rear 97-01 CRV outer drum (they are 42 new at autozone... mine were free from off a wrecked crv I bought for just the motor for 600 I have priced them at the junkyard for between 10-20.)
    2. I used rear prelude hubs right now as these worked and I had them handy from a project on my crv when I was doing rear disc brake swap on it. You all know the price for these if not they are around 100 new or range in price from 150-300 depending on what all you buy. .... I paid 100 for BOTH my rear disc swap parts from the 99 lude for the CRV and these were left overs so to me they were free since the rest of the setup went into the crv stuff.

YOU NEED A HUB REMOVAL TOOL FOR THIS.... RENT ONE FOR $16 at AUTOZONE IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE. Possibly a large flathead or flat chisel.... BE CAREFUL WHEN USING THESE!!!

1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE OBTAINED PARTS and get your tools out same as above for fronts but add a 32mm or 1-1/4" socket for rear spindle nut
    2. Jack rear of car up and place the car on jack stands
    3. Take rear wheels off
    4. Remove center hub nut (save this by placing somewhere that you can find it)
    5. Remove outter drum brake and HUB at the SAME TIME by attaching hub removal tool with lug nuts to the rear hub- then tighten it and will loosen off the hub. You will need a 19mm for this part or whatever type of tool is required for your specific hub removal tool.

here is an example of one:
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/p...23&zmap=813995

6. If part of the bearing stays attached to the hub still as mine did you can take a flat blade chisel or large tip flathead screwdriver and tap behind the bearing closest to the dust cover and the remaining bearing and hub part will come right off DO NOT SCAR THE HUB!!!
    7. clean the surface of the hub up look for any knicks (you should not have any but just in case) if you have knicks you messed up BUT this may be able to be cleaned up!
    8. take your rear hub from your prelude and slide into position where the 4 lug hub once was at- this may require a little jiggle but should slide right on.....
    9. Place hub nut 32mm back on hub and tighten down hard to specs... Then you will notice there is still thread. I used bustedlx advice and staked the SHIET and I dont have any issues.
    10. Place CRV drum on
    11. PULL EBRAKE CABLE TO INSPECT- E BRAKES WORKING!!!
    12. Place wheels back on car
    13. Take Jack stands out and place car back on ground.... ENJOY!

Side by side view of Accord on left and prelude on right

Accord left Prelude right

Accord hub removed

Prelude hub installed

CRV drum on

(This is me at the State Fair of Texas with the INFAMOUS funnel cakes and how you should feel after completion of this DIY)
    Last edited by da9b16; 10-20-2009, 06:20 PM.
    WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

They're gonna delete this if u don't do the write up soon. Not to threaten u, just a heads up.

Good job on finding new options... I remember looking at these knuckles on Majestic Honda's site and thinking the geometry looked close, but that shit would get lost with the hubs and stuff.

How do the ball joints all fit?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I will have the write up on the rears posted today as well.
      WAGONS

94 ce1- f22b DOHC auto swap, ROH 11.1" 99 cl brakes, rear disk swap, dual plenums, aem cai, tein ss, OEM stanley one piecers, OEM stanley yellow fogs, OEM 96 Oddy roof rack, Yakima basketcase, some wheels, some tires.... etc.

Comment

nice!! what about the rear end?

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the writeup. I'd suggest making it a little easier to read though

Underground.Society
          Originally posted by Deevergote
          If it doesn't really matter... shut the fuck up and let it be.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarplayer825 View Post
            Awesome, thanks for the writeup. I'd suggest making it a little easier to read though

It is pretty easy to read.... Pretty straight forward and step by step where the numbers start. The info above that is for viewing parts and installation. I do not like the way text flows in this page so I did it pix and small info first then step by step.
            WAGONS

Comment

nice write up !! just showing support even though ill nvr go to 5 lug
              frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

all added.... should be good to go now....
                WAGONS

Comment

Haha wow! Excellent!!!

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Just To Make Sure Eveyone Is Clear- If You Buy Used Crv Drums From The Junkyard Make Sure They Are In Good Shape Or Have Them Turned!!!! This Is Not Open For Discussion.... Or You Will Be Replacing All The Brake Parts Within The First Week!!!!
                    WAGONS

Comment

how was that INFAMOUS funnel cake btw? lol
                      nice write up

Comment

Funnel cakes at the state fair of TX and Root Beer is amazing!!!
                        WAGONS

Comment

What if i have ABS. Will i still be able to keep it? Also do you still use your accord upper and lower control arms or do you need to switch them? Lastly do you think you could use a 4 lug accord front knuckle for an easy ROH conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                            What if i have ABS. Will i still be able to keep it? Also do you still use your accord upper and lower control arms or do you need to switch them? Lastly do you think you could use a 4 lug accord front knuckle for an easy ROH conversion?

1. The 00 accord ex comes with abs so yes on the fronts. For the rears, cars equipped with drums do not have abs on drums so you are on your own there.
                            2. About upper a arms this is covered in the write up so re read it.
                            3. Your last question about using 4 lug stuff for simple roh makes absolutely no sense AT ALL. This is about 5 lug big brake upgrade using other stock accord year model parts not about ROH using 4 lug parts.... Again re-read the post.
                            WAGONS

Comment

Originally posted by da9b16 View Post
                              Funnel cakes at the state fair of TX and Root Beer is amazing!!!
                              Indeed. I drove 400 miles round trip for that funnel cake.
                              Originally posted by sweet91accord
                              if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X