HenRoc: 1992 Accord EX Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
    Good score on the wagon quarters. should have taken the rear bumper off the before cutting it. I could have used the header where the hatch mounts, mine is rusting badly.
    I actually had them cut that piece out as well. There's another Pewter Grey wagon at the same yard I frequent. I can see what the condition of that piece is as mine was also starting to rust. I'll be in touch with you about that center piece if you really want it.

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
    Nice buy.
    Thanks man! I hope you're doing well out there in California.

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
    Seeing the rear end of the wagon separated like that is cool. You could make a little trailer out of it! I actually want to find a junked VW pickup to do that with, as a bit of a jab at how the American pickup guys will make a trailer out of a rival truck's bed.
    The idea came to mind but eh I wish I had the skills to be able to fabricate something like that otherwise I'd be all over it. I've seen it done to a Civic Wagon and I thought it was pretty neat.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

One thing I like about Koni? Lifetime warranty.

My old set had definitely seen better days after nearly 8 years of daily driving on two different cars. I nearly sold my old set for $200 because I didn't think the warranty would go through and I just lost interest in lowering the wagon due to the issues of 'booty' sag and finding a set of linear springs to offset it.

Luckily for me the guy who was supposed to buy them flaked. So I ended up filling out the necessary paper work with my information including the original P.O from 2011 and my registration for proof of ownership.

Less than 2 weeks later boom

I got a new set! I felt foolish for doubting it but Im glad I didnt just get rid of these.

As of right now they are still sitting until I complete the gathering of the other suspension compenents:

- Camber arms
      - Spacers
      - Helper springs
      - Ground Control Coilovers

Anthony a.k.a Apalileo was very helpful in his PMs about certain questions I had regarding a good setup. I even hit up some people on NWP4Life to see what they reccomended with this setup and they all voted for the GC Coilovers.

I plan on doing it right as I was also told that a linear spring rate was better suited for the wagon considering the rear end would eventually wear out the progressive spring rates of Neuspeed or Eibachs even though I had picked up a set of machined spacers designed specifically for the Koni yellows.
      Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,

Comment

Also over the winter, a friend of mine sent me a link to a for sale ad for a 1992 Accord EX sedan and I did a double take because I saw the guy had a full set of OEM window visors, I sent him a message about the car and originally he wanted $200 for the whole car..conidering it needed work and I wasn't really interested in the whole car I offered him $100 for the door visors and picked them up the next day.

Now I have this set and then a front half of another set that I've held on to since last summer just sitting the basement.
        Henry R
        Koni/Neuspeed
        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
        Legend FSM

Comment

While on vacation in Michigan I came across a for sale ad on FB about a guy getting rid of 2 OEM car covers..one of which was in good shape and the other had a couple of holes in it. Luckily for me the original owner ended up selling me the one in better shape for a steal at $64

For the 5 lug conversion, this time I wanted something in a smaller size.

Don't get me wrong I loved the Si wheels but the main issue I always had was the fact that due to the offset, the spokes would rest against the caliper so I would have to run an 8 mm wheel spacer up front with extended studs and considering that would be a bit much for now I figured I'd try these instead.

Picked up a set of Legend GS wheels for $100 from a guy just outside of Boston. Coincidentally in talking to this guy he was part of Acura Legend Forum and through him I learned that Legend enthusiasts were just as hardcore as the Accord community when it came to parts.

I purchased nearly everything related to the interior of Legend and doubled my money back on most of the parts. There's a guy in Florida who restores and stock piles parts for these cars and these have a pretty good following as well just as much as us 4th gen guys.

But that's all I have for an update for now. Everything has been a bit slow going and I still havent finished gathering part for my 5 lug i.e brake pads, rotors and tires.
          Henry R
          Koni/Neuspeed
          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
          Legend FSM

Comment

I LOVE those Acura wheels.

There's a sad 2G Legend at a local body shop full of bondo and primer with awful, awful chrome wheels on it that hasn't moved in years.

I get the urge to offer them $1,000 for it sprayed in a single color and repair everything wrong with it.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
              I LOVE those Acura wheels.

There's a sad 2G Legend at a local body shop full of bondo and primer with awful, awful chrome wheels on it that hasn't moved in years.

I get the urge to offer them $1,000 for it sprayed in a single color and repair everything wrong with it.
              Yeah, Ive seen a lot of the G2s in yards..hell even keepinitclean came across a really clean one in NorCal that someone just dropped off at a local yard!

Paint looked clean for it's age and it looked like it was very well kept, just a mystery as to why it ended up in a you-pull it yard.

They have quite the following especially with the coupes (Type IIs are the ones to own from what I've read) although personally I prefer the sedan any day of the week. The coupes to me just look weird long nose and a short rear deck.
              Henry R
              Koni/Neuspeed
              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
              Legend FSM

Comment

Henry,
                How difficult was it filling out the paperwork for the warranty? I totally forgot about the lifetime warranty and was considered getting my current ones rebuilt. Could you pm the details please thank you. Also I was able to run 5mm spacers on the front of my Odyssey set up without wheels hitting the calibers.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

You guys are right about those G2 Legends. Out of all the bigger Acura’s I see in the local paps, TL’s, CL’s, RL’s. The Legends and especially the coupes are consistently the most well kept in and out. Some are so nice I can’t put a reason on why they would be sold to a pap. In SoCal the type II & coupe front lip is like gold. Those things don’t last 24hrs once a coupe is put out. I got my hands on one a while back and consider my lucky to get it.

HenRoc, those Legend wheels are nice. 5 lug gives you so many great OEM options. Especially in 16”
                  5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                    Henry,
                    How difficult was it filling out the paperwork for the warranty? I totally forgot about the lifetime warranty and was considered getting my current ones rebuilt. Could you pm the details please thank you. Also I was able to run 5mm spacers on the front of my Odyssey set up without wheels hitting the calibers.
                    It was fairly easy actually all you needed was a proof of purchase and a copy of your registration to verify ownership.

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
                    You guys are right about those G2 Legends. Out of all the bigger Acura’s I see in the local paps, TL’s, CL’s, RL’s. The Legends and especially the coupes are consistently the most well kept in and out. Some are so nice I can’t put a reason on why they would be sold to a pap. In SoCal the type II & coupe front lip is like gold. Those things don’t last 24hrs once a coupe is put out. I got my hands on one a while back and consider my lucky to get it.

HenRoc, those Legend wheels are nice. 5 lug gives you so many great OEM options. Especially in 16”
                    Thanks Mark! Yeah I had to hop on these I wanted something different and smaller than the Si wheels. I think it would look pretty dope sitting low on them so I cant wait to finish it up.

Yeah believe or not there is a huge following for those in the Legend community. Especially auto to manual swaps. Those fetch some good money.
                    Henry R
                    Koni/Neuspeed
                    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                    Legend FSM

Comment

It's been awhile since I've updated my MR thread. But about a year later in 2019 I finally completed the suspension swap and 5 lug conversion and repaired the leak I had in the ac line.

Then in November I picked up a parts wagon up in Vermont:

I found it on a local craigslist ad and went up to view it back in September..originally the owner wanted to sell me this and a match LX as a pair for $1,000 but I wanted the EX specifically for the interior parts...so for my trouble of driving almost two hours to view the car. he gave me the stock floor mats for free so I brought those home and power washed them at work, Then two months later I finally picked the car up.

Told me the car did not run but once I got it off the trailer..hooked up some jumper cables to it and it started right up!

I had plans to swap over my parts and fix it to flip it but changed my mind when I found out it had massive rust and a brake line had rotted out,

So I parted it out, selling the motor and most of what I could to recoup some of my money back from the purchase.

And sent it off to the scrapyard:

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50060029186_2dde12f87b_b.jpg/IMG]

I kept the headliner and door cards out of it to match the rest of my car minus the dash (which is still black). It was a shame too because it had 160k original miles.

I'll have to update this a bit more as I know I've missed a few things..last summer I finally picked up a euro r transmission from cpmike who was parting ways with his parts hoarde.

Oh and I finally got a set of TL-S wheels as Christmas gift from a good friend of mine.

Next up order my Ground Control coilovers finally and get this car lowered.,..recently one of the Bilstein shocks blew out and started leaking about a week and a half ago.
                      Last edited by HenRoc; 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM.
                      Henry R
                      Koni/Neuspeed
                      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                      Legend FSM

Comment

Whoa baby. This thing is real. *Drooling*

Keep up the good work.
                        The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                          I plan on doing it right as I was also told that a linear spring rate was better suited for the wagon considering the rear end would eventually wear out the progressive spring rates of Neuspeed or Eibachs even though I had picked up a set of machined spacers designed specifically for the Koni yellows.
                          Going back to the suspension for a second, since I'm making the final decision for what I want on mine now, is the linear spring rate only necessary for the rear? The coilovers I'm looking at are progressive up front, which I assume weighs the same as the coupe/sedan, but the rear is a linear 230 lbs/in.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Those waffle wheels will look great on that wagon. Good score bro.
                            5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                              Going back to the suspension for a second, since I'm making the final decision for what I want on mine now, is the linear spring rate only necessary for the rear? The coilovers I'm looking at are progressive up front, which I assume weighs the same as the coupe/sedan, but the rear is a linear 230 lbs/in.
                              For me personally? Yeah since I don't want that sagging rear end and I wanted the best combo with the Konis this time around so I am going with the Ground Control combo.

Spoke to a rep from GC about it last year and he recommended 440 for the front and 380 for the rear.

If you decided to go with progressive springs I'd recommend these:

They're spacer rings I picked up on eBay. There's a guy in Quebec who machined these specifically for wagons. Turns out my current suspension has them so if you can't find a set let me know.

And this is how they are suppose to mount..(the cup is upside down) there is a machined inner part that the cup sits on.

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
                              Those waffle wheels will look great on that wagon. Good score bro.
                              Thanks man, I was ready to pay her for them but I was more surprised at such a kind gesture. She owns a really nice 7th gen too.

:edit:

I've also been searching for an exhaust for my car. Two weeks ago I found a RS*R muffler from a junked Integra at a local yard..brought it to work and chopped off the weld off of it only to discover that the innards were destroyed..frayed fiberglass packing and the perforated pipes had broken off.

The donor:

The original weld close up line marked for the cut off line

Side shot of the RS*R

Weld cut off..you can see the inner pipe wasnt secured anymore

Turns out Apexi made a mufflers for the wagons but it was a release in Japan only..testament to how popular these wagons were over there. And through some friends from here I was also told that TAS Auto actually sold them which I never really knew about until a guy on one of the FB pages scored one from an importer in Canada..for an absurdly low price of $89 but they got him on shipping.

Then this morning while searching for an exhaust , I found a Greddy Muffler for a CE1 chassis for about $61.86 but the twist is they get you on shipping which tops out at $451 ..so in the end $512 shipped? I decided to pass on it.

Greddy catback CE1

For that I'd rather snag a full WS2 catback and modify the end for a proper fitment on the wagon.

So next on list a WS2 for the car. I miss owning one and I kicked myself for chopping my old one up and NOT keeping the muffler end (it was still in good shape).
                              Last edited by HenRoc; 02-12-2020, 10:22 AM.
                              Henry R
                              Koni/Neuspeed
                              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                              Legend FSM

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                                For me personally? Yeah since I don't want that sagging rear end and I wanted the best combo with the Konis this time around so I am going with the Ground Control combo.

Spoke to a rep from GC about it last year and he recommended 440 for the front and 380 for the rear.
                                *Edit: brain-farted there and forgot why I asked the question in the first place... I asked if it's only necessary on the rear, as opposed to needing a linear spring in the front as well.

But me not knowing a whole lot about suspension design, I don't understand why it would matter if the rear itself was progressive or linear, as long as the spring+damper combo overall was rated for the weight. Especially when you consider how many aftermarket options are available for any given car. What kind of use were those recommended specs for, because I'm wanting a smooth ride mixed with performance. I hope my car will see some track use, but I'm not after a hardcore setup. I don't want the car getting unsettled in a curve with a rough surface, since my main playground will be public roads in the mountains. If you don't mind, I'd love to see a review when yours is settle in. GC+Koni yellows were what I was eyeing when I had my sedan but lately, based on reviews on other chassis, I'm looking specifically at KW Variant 2s. They sound well worth the price. People are reporting surprisingly low spring rates, and yet they still handle amazingly while giving a great ride on the street. I guess they put more work into the damping and properly matching it to the spring? Worth checking out...
                                Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-13-2020, 03:18 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                                X