6 1/2 vs. 6x9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 1/2 vs. 6x9

Hi all, forgive my noobness when it comes to audio, never really mattered that much to me. Anyhow my LX has 6 1/2" alpine type-s speakers in the rear.

My question is, if I swap them out for some 6x9s will i notice a real difference? Is it worth it if I already have good speakers back there?

I dont really plan on modifying anything else as far as stereo goes but if there will be a big difference, I will swap out the smaller speakers.

honestly i dont even hear my front speakers at all. i could prob do without them and not tell the difference. but seriously the rears are the most important. all of your sound projected throughout the car will origionate from there. 6x9's are a WORLD of difference when compared with 6 1/2 ( depending on quality of speakers perce~ ) just find an EX and get you a set of rear speakers you will be very very happy. and if not then you just spent 10$ at the salvage and can return your newly purchased 6x9's
    frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

I disagree. I say the fronts are the most important, but that's just me. The only difference between a 6x9 and and 6.5 (same model) is the surface area and frequency extension. It's not that big of a difference imo, especially if you're just running off of HU power.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

thanks guys, helpful info for me to think over.

Comment

when was the last time you went to a concert and had the band playing behind ya? 6x9 might provide a little lower hrz but the sound output is still equal to the 6 1/2. generally 6 1/2 sound cleaner and when used with a sub have better blending.

Comment

Originally posted by judonoh View Post
            when was the last time you went to a concert and had the band playing behind ya? 6x9 might provide a little lower hrz but the sound output is still equal to the 6 1/2. generally 6 1/2 sound cleaner and when used with a sub have better blending.
            BINGO!

only use 6x9 for the rear if you don't intend on adding a sub..

Comment

from my personal experiences between 6.5 and 6x9 speakers. i believe:

6.5 gives off more of a bass sound.
              and
              6x9 gives off more of a clarity sound.

just me personal experience and opinion from two of the same speaker brands.

Comment

Originally posted by UNeeKToNy View Post
                from my personal experiences between 6.5 and 6x9 speakers. i believe:

6.5 gives off more of a bass sound.
                and
                6x9 gives off more of a clarity sound.

just me personal experience and opinion from two of the same speaker brands.
                That's different from the norm...You must've heard different brands of the two speakers.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                  That's different from the norm...You must've heard different brands of the two speakers.
                  nope sure didnt. they both were pioneers. plus it's my own personal experience, im still a newbie when it comes to audio.

Comment

6x9s can give off more bass and are a bit louder. They have more surface area so they can push more air and make more noise.

6.5s have better clarity. 6.5s also last longer. Think about it like this. When a speaker makes noise the cone has to move up and down, and also stretches the cone and the surround. Because a circle is perfectly symmetrical around the motor, wherever it stretches will be perfectly uniform. The smaller cone can also move up and down faster, resulting in a better midrange sound. Normally they both will use the same tweeters so they'll have near identical treble. When a 6x9 stretches it stretches different amounts on different parts of the cone, resulting in a distorted sound and wear on the speaker.

As for making the rears louder it can be done, but I don't like it. I've removed my rear speakers cause I haven't gotten off my butt and finished upholstering the box for them, but just running the front speakers gives me so much more clarity but I do lose a lot of volume. But a 150x2 amp is plenty of power to keep the front loud

Comment

Any pro with experience will tell you that 6x9's are not a linear speaker. Meaning they do not create sound waves that simulate realistic audio. 6x9's should only be used in a situation where a subwoofer will never be added. They have more surface area and create more bass. They will never be able to reproduce a quality soundstage.
                      In our show car for Andres audiotronic we actually have no rear speakers whatsoever. Allowing the sound stage to be completely in front of the listener. (exactly the way a concert is supposed to be) A good set of component 6.5" speakers when amplified gives ANYONE enough volume in a small car like ours. Spend the money on a better set of front speakers like hertz or focal with some dynamat and a proper installation with an amp and none of your friends will even come close in audio quality.

All this of course is only worth while with a good head unit and NO MP3's or other bad quality recordings. Otherwise your wasting your time. Remember your average MP3 is 192kbps. All cds are 1411.2kbps. cds are 7 times better than MP3's.

If you cant afford to do a higher end set of components just upgrade your head unit (cd player) to something with a 24 bit DAC like the Alpine CDA-117and get better front speakers as this will be the 2 best cheap upgrades our cars can start with.

^Click Me!^

Comment

^ for that basic must know in car audio..

going back to the OP's question:
                        "My question is, if I swap them out for some 6x9s will i notice a real difference? Is it worth it if I already have good speakers back there?"

-minimal difference.. not worth it..

**always start your car audio upgrade with a good HU(head unit).. garbage in.. garbage out.. no matter how high end your system is(speakers, wires, amp., eq, etc.), if you have a garbage HU.. it would still sound like garbage..

Comment

if you're going to install 6x9s then get the proper covers. dont do what i did and cut new holes in your deck >_<

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

There won't be a big difference if you don't do anything else to your system. If, however

You upgrade your stereo
                            Upgrade your front speakers
                            Get 6x9s
                            Use an EQ to cut treble and mids on the rear speakers

Then you'll notice a difference in clarity and bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer987 View Post
                              Any pro with experience will tell you that 6x9's are not a linear speaker. Meaning they do not create sound waves that simulate realistic audio.
                              Numbers or graphs to prove this?
                              What's a "linear" speaker?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                              X