Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone ever owned an American Bulldog? Other large dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
    Damn Josh that's crazy that your dog mauled a lab.

Was it a pure bred yellow/black/choc?

They are usually mad friendly....shit they have been the number one rated dog for 20 years or something.

That's crazy....i would say maybe it was a mix but then the animal lovers would all have a fucking stroke.
    It was a chocolate lab, full blooded. A neighbor trains them to be hunting dogs. I assume he thought my Shih Tzu was a bunny or some other small lunch.

Either way, my bulldog instinctively went straight for the lab's throat and "arm pits".

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Labs love anything on 2 legs. They're TERRIBLE guard dogs!

Great Danes aren't very aggressive, but they're extremely intimidating. They're more active than most Mastiffs, and any intruder that doesn't know most Danes are generally harmless will keep their distance. Especially with that bark!
      I briefly dated a girl that had a dog that was half mastiff, half dane... on its hind legs, that thing was about 8 feet tall! (it didn't like me... big part of why I stopped seeing the girl... )

A shepherd is definitely a fanstastic dog. Smart, loyal, fierce defender of family, and the breed is fairly healthy in general (some breeds, like danes, have some very common health issues throughout the breed.) I understand the dislike of the long hair, though.

If you want a dog that doesn't shed AT ALL, look into a large poodle. Despite the "girly" image poodles have, the larger ones are very much dogs... just don't shave em all poofy!
      They're also known to be extremely smart and great with kids.

See, homeboy here is pretty manly looking...

and if you need more convincing... here's a couple pictures of poodles killing shit...

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
        It was a chocolate lab, full blooded. A neighbor trains them to be hunting dogs. I assume he thought my Shih Tzu was a bunny or some other small lunch.

Either way, my bulldog instinctively went straight for the lab's throat and "arm pits".

Damn....that sucks but at least your dog wasn't harmed. Was your neighbor pissed? Vet bills are through the roof.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Labs love anything on 2 legs. They're TERRIBLE guard dogs!

Great Danes aren't very aggressive, but they're extremely intimidating. They're more active than most Mastiffs, and any intruder that doesn't know most Danes are generally harmless will keep their distance. Especially with that bark!
        I briefly dated a girl that had a dog that was half mastiff, half dane... on its hind legs, that thing was about 8 feet tall! (it didn't like me... big part of why I stopped seeing the girl... )

A shepherd is definitely a fanstastic dog. Smart, loyal, fierce defender of family, and the breed is fairly healthy in general (some breeds, like danes, have some very common health issues throughout the breed.) I understand the dislike of the long hair, though.

If you want a dog that doesn't shed AT ALL, look into a large poodle. Despite the "girly" image poodles have, the larger ones are very much dogs... just don't shave em all poofy!
        They're also known to be extremely smart and great with kids.

See, homeboy here is pretty manly looking...

See that's my issue with Labs.

The wife wants one and I didn't really have a preference.

I was fond of mini pomeranians for a bit lol.....as manly as that may seem, i also love Huskies and Neo Mastiffs so im not ALL about small dogs....but ive had them growing up so i have a soft spot for them.

I also like cats....but since im allergic it wasn't in the cards for me.

Anyway im cool with a lab....theyre fucking hella friendly and amazing with kids....theyll go for walks in the woods etc and <3 swimming......so that = endless amounts of fun for me....

but they aren't probably the best guard dogs.....

but i though i read on here someone saying that they have one or two labs and the labs killed coyotes or some shit that came to their house.

idk.

Well i guess if my dog does't get ya my 9 would ROFL
        Last edited by Ralphie; 03-07-2012, 09:20 PM.

Comment

My dog is an awful guard dog... but he's the shit. I don't care that he's 5lbs!

Comment

I like Rottweilers a lot. If you're willing to train them properly when they are young (which includes bringing them around lots of people) and also walk them regularly they are hard to beat. My Rottweiler is 125lbs and is a big baby 99% of the time unless someone is coming into the house and he can tell its not normal. Don't even try to come into the house when I'm not home, he won't let you in the door.

But... they are great companions. His best friend (and possible girlfriend?) is our midget cat if that tells you how gentile they can be. He is also better behaved around kids than adults which i really like about him.

'94 CD5 EX F22B1 Automatic

Comment

A properly trained Rott is a fantastic dog. So many people neglect the training, and the result is a very excitable, VERY LARGE dog. I've only known one or two that have actually been aggressive, but I've known some playful ones that didn't know their own strength, and did damage unintentionally.
              German Shepherds are much the same in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                Damn....that sucks but at least your dog wasn't harmed. Was your neighbor pissed? Vet bills are through the roof.
                My dog had a pierced ear and slobber all over her, and she was a little sore the next couple of days. Nothing serious though.
                My neighbor was pissed, but he understood the situation. Plus in TN/my county, I could have called it in and he would have had his other dogs (and income) taken away from him.

1999 BMW M3
                2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

I've got a 2 yr old American Bulldog/Pit mix. He's great with my daughter and other people once he gets to know them better. Great guard dog though. NOBODY gets to the house without him knowing. The only thing I can complain about is that he's hyper as all hell.

psn: KoRn_LuVr

Comment

ive owned 3 pitbulls and have 2 now. They are great family dogs, but can be agressive towards other animals. Thats what they were breed for, being great with family but game dogs. They act like kids and dont mature till around 3yrs old.

Maybe not the right dog for a first time pitbull owner unless you spend some time with one and do some research so you dont end up with your dog on the news. Great dogs, but if your looking for a guard dog, pits are not for you. they love people
                    NEW PSN
                    H22wagon

New project. 95 EG HB H22
                    RIP

Comment

Working...
                    X