No announcement yet.

Mike1357 : 1992 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike read through your thread and this last page made me really feelvfor you. Wish you were close so I could help. Not sure how much I could do but I presume it is better than nothing.

Sometimes when stuff goes wrong we are tested and I think you sticking with it shows the dedication. Keep up the amazing work. Can't believe the acid damage man...

Comment

Marcus, the hunting idle is such a pain because it could be so many different things. To be honest that's kind of why I like OBD2 cars.

Dhill, thanks for taking the time to read thru it! I appreciate your offer for help. Unfortunately I had a bit more bad luck with a taillight I purchased from another member getting crushed into pieces in the mail. At least mechanically the car is sound for now.

Comment

Well, thanks to a very close friend of mine, I now have a carbon hood back on the CB. Ironically enough I was given this hood from the same individual I picked up my first carbon hood from around 8 or so years ago (Juice21). About 7 years ago to the day was when I messed up my first carbon hood in an accident. I have to say thanks to Raf for posting that picture that made me want to go this way with the car. I also have a GTS bug guard that I'm thinking of putting on the car this weekend to give the hood just that little bit more protection. I am almost certainly going to try and pick up a carbon version of the JL grille now to compliment the hood.

Comment

Looking good Mike!
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

That hood is a very nice addition. Great score Mike. The bug guard wouldn’t be bad either. I’m thinking of getting one here soon.
            5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Thank you very much guys. I did run the bug guard for a little bit but I just didn't like the way it flowed with the rest of the front end.

A few months ago I had my fuel rail bolts snap for a third time. At this point I've gotten pretty good at taking out what's left, but it's quite inconvenient. I ended up getting some class 10.8 bolts from a local supply shop and added some fender washers under the plastic rail supports to try and spread the load out more evenly. For some reason when they made the rail stands for the intake manifold, it's like the casting for the posts were too far forward so the bolt holes are very far back on the posts and not centered like they probably should be.

Today I was able to finally purchase a new clutch and flywheel setup. I've been nursing a slipping clutch since September so I'm really looking forward to being able to drive with some spirit again. I decided on a stage 1 ACT clutch with a heavy duty pressure plate and a 12lb ACT steel flywheel. I chose a full faced clutch simply because speed bumps and stop and go traffic are something I still deal with daily and I need to be able to slip the clutch just a bit more than I can now with my 4 puck. The heavy duty pressure plate supposedly gives me a torque capacity somewhere around 270ft/lbs so if I ever do find a supercharger kit within my budget, I won't need to buy another clutch kit. I've been toying around with the idea of a lightweight flywheel for a long time but usually shied away from them because of what I would read about them. After driving a few cars with lightweight flywheels, I'm confident that I'll enjoy the response enough to outweigh the cons.

The car definitely needs a bit of maintenance. Currently I need to replace both axles, replace the leaky oil cooler o-ring, replace both rear upper balljoints (SPC maybe?), and possibly replace the rear calipers as well. Ultimately the coilovers are done for too, but that will have to wait for later in the year.
              Last edited by Mike1357; 02-07-2019, 01:04 AM.

Comment

How’s the car Mike? Did you get to fix a couple of the issues?
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I did end up doing some maintenance in the time between now and when I posted last. I ended up getting everything together and replaced the clutch. As you can see from the pictures, it was very much done for. This was my first time not having a lift to be able to use for this kind of work so doing it on the garage floor was a little awkward. While the transmission was out I was able to replace the worst of the two axles. Shortly before I did the clutch job the alternator failed; that's probably the main reason I finally decided to stop limping the car around and actually fix stuff. With a new clutch and a new alternator, it was nice to drive around again and not worry about the clutch slipping. I was almost expecting the lightweight flywheel to be a larger contrast compared to the stock flywheel I had. You definitely notice a difference, but from all the people I've talked to, I was concerned it would be too touchy or down rev too quickly. The engagement and driving feels like it has the same if not maybe a little more grab to it, but it is much easier to slip and use in daily driving circumstances. It's definitely my favorite clutch setup so far. It was certainly difficult to behave myself and break the clutch in properly.

Shortly after I had finished all that, the battery basically gave up the ghost. After a little bit of saving I decided to pick up an Optima battery, especially given that I still rely on this car as my main mode of transportation. I decided to purchase a new positive battery terminal to compliment the new battery and try to rid the car of it's voltage issues. Instead of buying a dedicated voltage gauge, I decided to give one of the cigarette lighter gauges a try. Bummed it doesn't come in green, but it does the job quite well for the price and does an acceptable job of telling me what I need to know. The car seems to have a huge voltage drop when the a/c compressor is turned on. Even with the new alternator and battery, if the a/c is on at idle my voltage will drop to right around 12v, sometimes lower. I ended up running a new 8 gauge wire from the alternator straight to the battery hoping I would pick up a little more voltage but it didn't help much at all. I'm thinking it's either time for a new compressor or something is wrong with my IAC valve. Eventually I'll get around to diagnosing it.

I did manage to pick up a little something that wasn't maintenance related. I think it compliments the CB7Tuner keychain quite well.
                  The car finally reached the 300k milestone and I was actually able to catch this one with the camera. I've missed almost all the other milestones. This was around the time I realized I was overdue for an oil change so I went ahead and did that in the garage as well. It's just so damn weird working on the floor after almost 6 years of being able to use a lift. I also quit being lazy and properly cleaned the car, inside and out, something I haven't done in what seems like half a year (though now looking at the glare in the photo, you wouldn't be able to tell if it was clean or not anyways).

Ill try not to go on another half a year hiatus, but no promises...

Comment

It looks great bro!! Maintenance FTW!!!!
                    I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
                    Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    My coupe!!!
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
                    Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

Looks great man! Did you lower the engine on one side to get the trans out?

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, I left the drivers side and rear mount bolted in and put a jack and a piece of wood under the oil pan to lower it enough to get the trans in and out.

This last week I was sweating bullets thinking I had another problem with the car. All week it had been misfiring and backfiring with a marked lack in power. I thought I might have had clogged injectors again. Ran the tank almost empty and filled up at a reputable gas station and all the problems disappeared. Called the gas station to let them know their gas was bad or contaminated and they don't particularity seem to care. Oh well, the car isn't broken.

Comment

Well, after having this high rise center console armrest kicking around the garage for a few years, I finally decided to go ahead and install it. I need to give a shout out to NH-503P-3 for helping me with the info I needed to get it installed correctly by moving the e-brake handle to the center. Now if I can just figure out this misfire issue I've been having I'll be in business. Maybe tax time will give me the chance to finally jump to Hondata in this thing.

Comment

Nice work brother. Now you got something to lean on lol.
                            5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Well, in the midst of an ignition issue I was having, I decided I might as well upgrade. I now have some brand new NGK plug wires to replace my near 15 year old stock wires (though I'm not thrilled with the blue color). I put the 6AL box inside the cabin next to the ecu and I made a little bracket to mount the coil next to the battery. I also have a new distributor on the way (apparently you can find brand new TD60U distributors on Rock Auto). One of these days I need to get into the engine bay and clean up the passenger side wiring. Eventually I'll stop spending money on maintenance long enough to save up for a Hondata and then I can get the ITB's on and working.
                              Last edited by Mike1357; 01-26-2020, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Well, the time came where I was finally able to get myself a Hondata S300. Had it tuned by Carlos Tuning in Orlando. Ended up with 212HP. Unfortunately no torque number due to technical difficulties but I'd imagine it's somewhere around 167ft/lbs. I did discover that the exhaust is definitely a restriction so that will probably be the next area of attention in the build. I am however really looking forward to the doors opened by the S300 such as coil over plug ignition. I guess I will be saying goodbye to the MSD sooner than I thought.

A few weeks after all the fun was had, my fuel rail bolts snapped for the second time this year so I decided to go with the highest grade bolts I could get my hands on. Hopefully it will last more than 8 months this time. I also had my seat bracket decide to bend on me. I didn't think I was that fat but the car must be telling me to get on with the weight reduction.
                                Last edited by Mike1357; 06-06-2020, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X