Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 Accord Wagon misfire now barely starts

Well this one has me stumped!

Left work the other day. Car starts fine, get about 5 minutes down the road and I developed an obvious misfire. Pull off the side of the road, check to make sure everything obvious is connected. Everything looked fine. I was 16 hours into that day and really needed to make it to urgent care so I shut the hood and babied her to the doctors office. No problems other than running on 3 cylinders. Every once in a while it felt like that cylinder would come back online but only for a split second.

Get done at the doctor. Fires up fine (still on 3 cylinders) drive home. Pull one plug wire at a time to see if I can find the affected cylinder. The cylinder 2nd from the distributor cap when pulled had no change to the way the engine performed. So I did the simple thing and changed that one spark plug with a new NGK standard plug. From that point it started running worse.

For what it’s worth, every spark plug wire I pulled gave out a nice strong looking spark while the engine was running.

By the time I was able to move it out from in front of my truck and get it in the service spot of my driveway I could barely keep the car running. Would barely start. It would start on one cylinder and if I feathered the throttle it would catch on 2 more occasionally.

Another note after constantly cranking and trying to move the car there was obviously a large amount of fuel making its way to the cat because she was smoking hot.

I let it sit overnight and tried to start it the next evening to see if it was a temperature problem and that didn’t help anything. Linked below is a video of what it does now when attempting to start it.

So far I’ve got ordered and on delivery for Tuesday/Wednesday: new ngk plugs, ngk wires, ngk coil, Bosch distributor cap, and Bosch coil.

Valves adjusted within the last 20k along with bottom spark plug tube seals plug wires come out dry, timing belt 60k ago, was cruising at 55mph. Have not had time to check for compression maybe I can tonight but listening to the engine turn over it sounds like it always has with no dead skip.

https://youtu.be/NBFI5aK2IZo
    Last edited by asleepz; 02-08-2019, 09:19 AM.
    1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
    2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

While the cold start vid symptoms can be many things (clogged cat, distributor, not enough air) I'm thinking distributor or igniter in the unit. Although when my igniter when it would just turn over and not catch...

You said you get clean spark off each plug when tested against the block?

Comment

I didn’t pull each plug and check spark but as soon as I pulled the wires off and the tip made it close to the valve cover it would arc over quite easily 1/2-3/4” on each cylinder.

Past that I haven’t been able to do much diagnosis due to work.
      Last edited by asleepz; 02-08-2019, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepz View Post
        I didn’t pull each plug and check spark but as soon as I pulled the wires off and the tip made it close to the valve cover it would arc over quite easily 1/2-3/4” on each cylinder.

Past that I haven’t been able to do much diagnosis due to work.
        Then fuel is your problem.

Comment

Check the distributor (and possibly cam timing), if it jumped, you might get good spark but at a very wrong time.

Just recently fill up at an off brand gas station? How old is your fuel filter? Check fuel pressure. If you can get it running and have a stethoscope, listen to make sure the injectors are pulsing.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            Then fuel is your problem.
            Not so sure about that yet. Because enough raw fuel made it to the catalyst that it started smoking. I do have a fuel pressure gauge I’ll make sure to check it as well along with the injectors. Fuel filter probably has 20k on it. I had already ran that tank for well over 100 miles, figured I would’ve had an issue earlier in the tank but still a possibility.

First parts show up Saturday then the rest of the ignition parts Tuesday. I’ll keep the post updated on any progress.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepz View Post
              Not so sure about that yet. Because enough raw fuel made it to the catalyst that it started smoking. I do have a fuel pressure gauge I’ll make sure to check it as well along with the injectors. Fuel filter probably has 20k on it. I had already ran that tank for well over 100 miles, figured I would’ve had an issue earlier in the tank but still a possibility.

First parts show up Saturday then the rest of the ignition parts Tuesday. I’ll keep the post updated on any progress.
              I'm referring to fuel not getting to one cyclinder. But ya, from the video this all points to spark.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                I'm referring to fuel not getting to one cyclinder. But ya, from the video this all points to spark.
                Deep down, I’m hoping it’s a simple cap and rotor, but I may not get out that easy.

Comment

It was the distributor cap! Lots of white corrosion around the little pickups inside. Replaced it and she’s purring like she should.

Comment

Working...
                  X