Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

odometer issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odometer issue

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my odometer it turns extremely slow. I've done some searching with no luck, so here I am.

It turns slightly and stops. My speedometer is also off by 5-10 mph depending on speed. My cruise control does work. Could this be a vss issue?
    Last edited by JaredLytle; 03-01-2015, 03:42 AM. Reason: typeo

It could be. The VSS provides an alternating 0 - 5 - 0 - 5 ... volt signal as the differential ring gear turns. The cruise uses the VSS signal, but it may be a relative thing. If you set the cruise at 60, I don't think it necessarily knows that it is 60 mph, it just tries to maintain that rate of signal from the VSS, so if it somehow providing an erratic or weak signal that doesn't operate the speedo and odo well, it may still provide enough information for cruise to operate.

When I had trouble with the speedo in my wagon, I was able to verify the VSS signal at the lower left connector for the gage cluster (Sorry, I forget how much disassembly was involved to access it). I eventually found my problem to be corrosion on the printed circuit board of the gauge cluster.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

you most likely have a cluster from a different car in yours.

I put my 93 EX coupe Auto odometer section in my 92 LX 4dr Auto and i was off consistently by 10mph at all speeds.

Honda was very critical where the cluster is concerned. There are differences between 90-91, 92 and 93 dependent if you had ABS or not, or 2/4 dr, LX/EX. you really have to get the exact cluster for your car otherwise your speedo will be off.

member's ride thread
      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
      91 Accord SE 176k
      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        It could be. The VSS provides an alternating 0 - 5 - 0 - 5 ... volt signal as the differential ring gear turns. The cruise uses the VSS signal, but it may be a relative thing. If you set the cruise at 60, I don't think it necessarily knows that it is 60 mph, it just tries to maintain that rate of signal from the VSS, so if it somehow providing an erratic or weak signal that doesn't operate the speedo and odo well, it may still provide enough information for cruise to operate.

When I had trouble with the speedo in my wagon, I was able to verify the VSS signal at the lower left connector for the gage cluster (Sorry, I forget how much disassembly was involved to access it). I eventually found my problem to be corrosion on the printed circuit board of the gauge cluster.
        Thank you sir, you actually gave me somewhere to start . I'll keep this updated with my findings. I ordered a vss, so I'll try that first and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post

I put my 93 EX coupe Auto odometer section in my 92 LX 4dr Auto and i was off consistently by 10mph at all speeds.

Honda was very critical where the cluster is concerned. There are differences between 90-91, 92 and 93 dependent if you had ABS or not, or 2/4 dr, LX/EX. you really have to get the exact cluster for your car otherwise your speedo will be off.
          It never occurred to me that I could have a different cluster, I'll have to check on that. Thank you for the info!

Comment

update

Alright so I just installed new speed sensor, and there's been no change in speedometer or odometer. I guess next options a new cluster?

Comment

Bummer, was going to use a 93/ALB with my 92/NON-ALB

Originally posted by JaredLytle View Post
              Alright so I just installed new speed sensor, and there's been no change in speedometer or odometer. I guess next options a new cluster?
              That sucks too..change tire sizes lol :P

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                Bummer, was going to use a 93/ALB with my 92/NON-ALB

That sucks too..change tire sizes lol :P
                Sure does, who knows maybe I'll just keep her running untill I can find an ex coupe 5 speed lol

Comment

All you really need is the correct odometer section.

After recently painstakingly taking apart my dash multiple times due to almost every single gauge pod failing over the course of 4 months, I'm 100% sure that the odometer section is what affects your speed reading.

Any tach and speedometer pod can be used since they rely on the output of the odometer's gears that are dependent on the type of transmission your car came with.

EXs tranny ratios are different than LX/DXs, also since EXs from 92/93 had ABS its an entirely different circuit board vs the 92/92 LX/DXs since they didn't have ABS.

I think 2/4dr shouldn't matter, speed wise, but when you open the doors, the interior door indicator won't work right. i'm not sure though since I've yet to try a coupe cluster in a sedan.

I literally have 4 clusters now since i needed parts from each to make mine work on my Daily Driver.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

All you really need is the correct odometer section.

After recently painstakingly taking apart my dash multiple times due to almost every single gauge pod failing over the course of 4 months, I'm 100% sure that the odometer section is what affects your speed reading.

Any tach and speedometer pod can be used since they rely on the output of the odometer's gears that are dependent on the type of transmission your car came with.

EXs tranny ratios are different than LX/DXs, also since EXs from 92/93 had ABS its an entirely different circuit board vs the 92/92 LX/DXs since they didn't have ABS.

I think 2/4dr shouldn't matter, speed wise, but when you open the doors, the interior door indicator won't work right. i'm not sure though since I've yet to try a coupe cluster in a sedan.

I literally have 4 clusters now since i needed parts from each to make mine work on my Daily Driver.
                    Thanks for the info, my next step is going to be a new cluster. Time to start searching ebay

Comment

Success!

Alright so i received the new cluster and installed it. The issue turned out to be with the cluster. Everything works great now.
                      Thanks for all the help guys! ill be posting pictures soon.

Comment

Originally posted by JaredLytle View Post
                        Alright so i received the new cluster and installed it. The issue turned out to be with the cluster. Everything works great now.
                        Thanks for all the help guys! ill be posting pictures soon.
                        Just for fun, take the back of the old cluster off and see if there is an area of black corrosion on the printed circuit board. If so, you probably could have just swapped the board and your existing odometer probably would have continued to work.
                        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                        X