EXT : installing OEM window visors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT : installing OEM window visors

a lot of times when people buy these, they are used, come with no instruction, and have bent clips (if any).

they aren't all that hard to put on really. probably they hardest part is pressing the rubber trim back in.

first thing you want to do is make sure your clips are bent in the right position. they are often bent out of shape from being removed at a junkyard. this is how they should look. with tabs flared outward.

if you're like me, you want them to look and be like new as much as possible. i couldn't find 3m double sided tape that was slim enough, so i took scissors, measured out the length, and cut it down the middle.

once you have the tape on and clips bent in the right postion, you should be looking like this. (do all this before hand if you plan on polishing them).

roll down the window and at the top, pull out only the lower half of the window trim. it is refereed to as the run channel. you don't have to pull out the outer weatherstripping part of the trim at all.

before you start to fit the visor on, pull some of the vinyl off the double sided tape so that you can grab it later on.

then all you have to do is push the clips into the channels. notice how the tabs on the clips grab the rubber on top and the groove in the bottom.

when you get all the clips in place, you can pull the red part of the 3m tape. make sure the tape is sticking to the outer part of the window trim.

hardest part now is tucking the trim back in. you'll need to do lots of squeezing and pressing to get it back in, but once you learn on the first one, it gets easier. just feel for any bulges in the trim.

you may notice that some visors come with gold clips also. they go in the same spot as the black clips. i think they act as a bushing of sorts against paint wear. you don't have to have them, but i dipped my black clips in rubber paint to be on the safe side.

when you're done, enjoy.

later.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Any way I can just find those clips by themselves?
    Thanks.

Comment

looking good polished! I wanted to do a diy like this but when I installed my visors I forgot to take pics.

This will definitely help out those newbie jdm/oem fans lol

Comment

How do the back ones attach?

Comment

thats a great write up i just got a set of oem sedan window visors at the jy for 20 bucks today! the jy thought they were aftermarket

Only problem is some of the clips snapped off the visors so i guess i have to let them set with some sort of epoxy? Any idea what type of adhesive will work to secure the clips back on the visor?

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
            Thanks.
            you might be able to get more from honda, but i doubt it.
            Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
            looking good polished! I wanted to do a diy like this but when I installed my visors I forgot to take pics.

This will definitely help out those newbie jdm/oem fans lol

Originally posted by 93accordguy View Post
            How do the back ones attach?
            same way as the front. clips and double-sided tape.
            Originally posted by dhill_cb7 View Post
            thats a great write up i just got a set of oem sedan window visors at the jy for 20 bucks today! the jy thought they were aftermarket

Only problem is some of the clips snapped off the visors so i guess i have to let them set with some sort of epoxy? Any idea what type of adhesive will work to secure the clips back on the visor?
            from the factory, they appear melted on. so i would use something like quick set jb weld. later.

Comment

Thanks typeG i'm actually heading out to home depot now to get the double sided tape and the jb weld or some good epoxy.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
                Thanks.
                You can still get those, Any one from a newer Honda will still work since they all use the same clip.
                Henry R
                Koni/Neuspeed
                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid View Post
                  You can still get those, Any one from a newer Honda will still work since they all use the same clip.
                  Thanks. They must be expensive. I got a set of reflectors but no clips. I am waiting for my double sided 3M tape. I wonder if they would hold enough without the clips?
                  Thanks.

Comment

good stuff TypeS! I have been holding off to install my $10 jk set until I polished them, nice little trick with leaving the 3m red strip on until you have the visors mounted. I have the PDF doc for I think the cd5 but I dont think it offers up that lil trick

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

the clips got me so pissed off. i ended up not using half of them.

Comment

This is probably bumping back from the dead, but when you went to re-install your run channel did you have any problems with the window rolling up at all and not closing all the way? thats what happened to me i usually just push them up but im kind of tired of that. Just wanted to see if those clips interfered with your run channels like it did mine. if its just mine ill need to redo it soon.

Turbo Setup: 100%

Comment

same is happening to me. the channel will not go back fully because of the clips. i might just take the remaining clips off and that will solve it.
                          Originally posted by 5spd92 View Post
                          This is probably bumping back from the dead, but when you went to re-install your run channel did you have any problems with the window rolling up at all and not closing all the way? thats what happened to me i usually just push them up but im kind of tired of that. Just wanted to see if those clips interfered with your run channels like it did mine. if its just mine ill need to redo it soon.

Comment

Lube your run channels with silicone lube.it helps and also make sure the trim is pushed Is all the way. Later.

Comment

sorry to pop in here slightly off topic but i heard there is a way to install the aftermarket visors in a similiar way to the jdm ones.. something about sliding them under the trim. can someone enlighten me or a pm containing a link thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X