Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Air Delivery System Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Delivery System Questions

Couple of questions about our stock air filtering system. I was taking of my stock airbox to change out the vehicle speed sensor, and i realized i dont really have any idea what any of this shit is and i couldn't really find a good explanation on the forums.

Basically there was 1 (or 2) i cant remember large hoses coming off the bottom of the airbox going down toward the front of the car sort of...can someone tell me what it does? Also the small of the 2 tubes that comes off the intake pipe right before the throttle body, does that control idle or something? Im pretty new to the whole car thing dont make to much fun of me lol

The two larger hoses go to the air box that is installed in your bumper. It is sort of a stock cold air intake. Instead of pulling the air from the hot engine bay, the stock intake system pulls the cooler air closer to the ground. As for the hose coming off the valve cover, that is to relieve crank pressure.
    No need to worry about feeling dumb, just remember there are no stupid questions except the one not asked and we all had to start somewhere.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

thanks man, do you know the name of that hose coming off the valve cover? id like to order a slightly longer one i feel like the ebay spec intake i ordered wont have the port close enough to the throttle body for the stock hose to reach.

EDIT: actually would it be smarter to keep the stock hoses and just hose clamp the the actual intake onto the stock hose and forgo the cheap piping? seems like that cheap bare metal piping would retain a lot of heat compared to the plastic. or does that not matter. idk
      Last edited by Stick; 12-19-2017, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

You are correct, a CAI or SRI piping is pretty worthless (especially on a stock engine). The metal gets heat soaked just like the OEM plastic. The only real upside of the metal piping... it looks pretty?

Swapping out the factory air box/filter for any sort of intake system, or as you said just a hose clamped filter on the OEM piping, doesn't do a whole lot in terms of performance.

The upside to a CAI or SRI.
        1. It 'cleans up' the engine bay.
        2. Gives you a washable filter (no more buying and tossing every so many thousand miles).

The downside.
        1. The filter media itself doesn't filter better, it actually filters worse (allows more particles through).
        Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

dope ill keep all that in mind thanks fellas

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
            You are correct, a CAI or SRI piping is pretty worthless (especially on a stock engine). The metal gets heat soaked just like the OEM plastic. The only real upside of the metal piping... it looks pretty?
            The inside of the CAI or SRI is smooth compared to the ribbed inside of the original intake tube. This does flow air much better. Is it a noticeable performance gain... nah, but it's fun to hear it go wooooosh

Comment

Nice spam there Robb
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                The two larger hoses go to the air box that is installed in your bumper. It is sort of a stock cold air intake. Instead of pulling the air from the hot engine bay, the stock intake system pulls the cooler air closer to the ground. As for the hose coming off the valve cover, that is to relieve crank pressure.
                No need to worry about feeling dumb, just remember there are no stupid questions except the one not asked and we all had to start somewhere.
                The stock intake pulls air from behind the right headlight assembly. The black box in the fender (#7) is a resonator to reduce intake noise; there is no opening in this to pull air from the fender well or underneath. I think all 90-91 models, and 92-93 EX models have pipe #11 running straight from the filter box to just behind the headlight and pipe assembly #14, 16, and 20 running below that. Both pipes have a connection to the resonator. Below 3500 rpm, the valve in #16 blocks the intake but connects the resonator to the filter box; above 3500 rpm it blocks the connection to the resonator and allows the pipe to pull air through #20. For 92-93 DX and LX, they have only pipe #15 which connects the filter box to the resonator; air is drawn in only through #11.

If you leave the connector off the solenoid (#37) that operates #16, the engine will always get air through both pipes. For 92-93 DX and LX; you can replace #15 with 14, 16, and 20 for less intake restriction (or cut a big hole in the bottom of the filter box!).

The breather tube #4 and hose #5 going from the intake duct to the valve cover is part if the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system. For an engine with little blowby, as vapor is pulled out of the crankcase through the PCV to the intake plenum, the line from the intake duct (ahead of the throttle body) allows filtered air into the crankcase. In older engines, I think excessive blowby can overpower the PCV and actually push oil vapor back through this line into the intake ahead of the throttle body - which makes a mess of the throttle body.

Last edited by Fleetw00d; 12-22-2017, 02:03 AM.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                X