Spring Rates for a DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
    Honestly, What is "too" stiff for yourself?
    Some people love 4k and some love 12k its just a personal thing.

My suggestion would be to get adjustable damper coilovers rather than swapping springs.
    thats why im getting the Illuminas. they're 5 way adjustable so im sure one of those settings will be good enough for me.

im thinking of using the set up the guy im getting the Illuminas from. he has them paired with Skunk2s and he said they're too bouncy i doubt they are because he said my car rides smoother than his. and im on ebay coilovers with OEM struts. lol.

so ill try his setup for a little while with the Skunk2s. if i dont like them then ill go ahead and get the Megan Racing sleeves with some 10ks up front and some 8k in the rear.

Comment

If your prepared to spend to spend the money, you would be better to get "proper" adjustable coilovers, not sleeves.
      Then adjust the spring rates as you see necessary.

Personally on my Teins, I can go from almost stock comfort (soft setting), to solid race (hard setting) just by turning the damper setting on the top of the shocks in less than 1 minute for all 4 corners.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

If your prepared to spend to spend the money, you would be better to get "proper" adjustable coilovers, not sleeves.
        Then adjust the spring rates as you see necessary.

Personally on my Teins, I can go from almost stock comfort (soft setting), to solid race (hard setting) just by turning the damper setting on the top of the shocks in less than 1 minute for all 4 corners.
        eh....i do want an adjustable FULL coilover set up. but it'll be a while before i do get one. i just dont want to get one thats like 32 or 46 or 58 way adjustable. lol. i dont need that much of adjustablility. im not tracking it. lol. and most full coilover set ups offer that. thats kinda why im sticking with a sleeve/strut combo. the struts i have in mind are only like MAX 5 or 6 way adjustable.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
          eh....i do want an adjustable FULL coilover set up. but it'll be a while before i do get one. i just dont want to get one thats like 32 or 46 or 58 way adjustable. lol. i dont need that much of adjustablility. im not tracking it. lol. and most full coilover set ups offer that. thats kinda why im sticking with a sleeve/strut combo. the struts i have in mind are only like MAX 5 or 6 way adjustable.
          Yes and no, Basically just don't waste money now compromising for something you want later on.

The Teins are IIRC 16 settings, and honestly it's so easy to do. Just turn a screw by hand an go.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I am on 8/5.5 now and over bad roads it's pretty rough

If you're not tracking the car I would do 6/4 (336/224). Def stiffer than stock (240/150) but within reason. My 1st & 2nd CBs were on Neuspeed Sports and KONI YELLOWS (the more important part) and they handled + rode way better than my car does now. I am going with this setup again.

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post

If you're not tracking the car I would do 6/4 (336/224). Def stiffer than stock (240/150) but within reason. My 1st & 2nd CBs were on Neuspeed Sports and KONI YELLOWS (the more important part) and they handled + rode way better than my car does now. I am going with this setup again.
              Are you sure about those stock spring rates? Where did you find them?
              There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                Are you sure about those stock spring rates? Where did you find them?
                http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...+2032004+27401

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...+2032004+27463

255/149, at least for these OEM replacements. Actually stiffer than I thought.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Yes and no, Basically just don't waste money now compromising for something you want later on.

The Teins are IIRC 16 settings, and honestly it's so easy to do. Just turn a screw by hand an go.
                  yeah. ill see about getting those. but im looking to spend $1200+ on a suspension set up like that tho. im sure a nice sleeve/strut or full coilover set up will do just fine for me.

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post

and no. im not tracking the car. if i was course racing it or doing Auto-X, id want a FULL coilover set up that has as much adjustablity as the Tien Super Street or Megan Racing Full coilovers.

Comment

U would prob be just fine on some Skunk2s and Koni Oranges... that's like a $500 setup and it's all quality.

Comment

i have to agree with a 6/4. the H&R race springs with agx's that i had handled great but if i turned up the shock setting in the rear past 2 (out of 8) the rear window would rattle when i hit bumps, lol.

it killed my kidneys too.
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

ok. out of all the lowering springs out there which ones would give me this:

-6-8k frt/4-6k rear
                        -2 finger gap all the way around

?

Comment

ok. out of all the lowering springs out there which ones would give me this:

-6-8k frt/4-6k rear
                          -2 finger gap all the way around

?
                          H&R or Neuspeed Race. Both spring sets are identical, except the H&R race are 5lbs stiffer in the rear, which isn't something you'll feel.
                          This ends up being about 8.8 front, and 5.4k rear

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                            H&R or Neuspeed Race. Both spring sets are identical, except the H&R race are 5lbs stiffer in the rear, which isn't something you'll feel.
                            This ends up being about 8.8 front, and 5.4k rear
                            nice...

right now im on assaultech.com trying to look thru some set ups. i thought about getting just the coilover spring from Tanabe or some Megan Racing coilover springs and fitting it on my sleeves i have in the shed....

Comment

nice...

right now im on assaultech.com trying to look thru some set ups. i thought about getting just the coilover spring from Tanabe or some Megan Racing coilover springs and fitting it on my sleeves i have in the shed....
                              They won't necessarily fit properly like that. You need to check the spring length and diameter from some sleeves that are made for the CB and then make sure whatever you put on has the same dimensions.

Comment

nice...

That's actually what I did for my car. 2.5" ID springs are what you're looking for.

I have 448/300. I'm gonna run 300/200 on Koni STR.Ts at about a 2 finger gap on stock tires (~13.5" from fender to wheel center in front, probably about 14-14 1/4" in the rear).

I get my springs from summitracing.com. After various trial and errors I've found the best spring lengths are about 7-8" in front (with a 4" sleeve) and 10" in the rear (w/a 4" sleeve). They have springs for $37 a corner which is PHENOMENAL for the price.

Comment

Working...
                                X