tips on buying a new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tips on buying a new car

Been looking into getting a fiat abarth but have no clue where to start since I want to avoid being raped. My jobs stable since I've been there 2yrs and I make about 20k a year. I pay 300 for rent, 100 for phones, and 100 for cb7 insurance. That's literally all my bills and my gf pays half of that lol. Want it maybe by my 22nd bday in march.

What's my plan of attack? I always bought used so this is all new to me
    My 91 ex coupe
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=189841

Why do you want more payments?
    "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

Comment

I'd check to see if you can even get approved for a loan first with your debt/income ratio for the price of the car.

I'd sock away money first for a solid downpayment and then build up a reserve fund in case you need it, then consider buying a new car.

Comment

bought my wife a fiat 500 and to be honest we have some issues.

Logo on the front bumper faded/came off, electronic power steering issues, axle issue, driver seat issue, rattle issue, fittment of the door(s) on the car issue, tire pressure sensor issue, a/c clutch issue, charging system(replaced battery, alternator, grounding straps, relays etc) and the clock isn't keeping accurate time.

The only positive thing I can say about all these problems, is that it hasn't cost us a penny. Its just a pain in the ass dealing with it all the time, and it gives the impression that maybe the car wasn't the best investment.

I don't think I would buy another fiat. I really like the car, wife LOVES the car. However, the abarth is becoming known as even less reliable than the regular 500.

Wifes car has 4400 miles, is 7+ months old.

Hope that helps. Car is awesome, I really like the design/layout etc.. But, we have had problems and are currently considering a trade in for a toyota rav4 or 6spd altima coupe.

If you have ever seen me post or have been around for a while, you probably know that I know a thing or two about cars. I am nit picky, and I am probably being a bit particular with the car.

Thing is, I bought my CD5 brand new in 1995, and I still drive it. I actually drove it today with 228k miles. I have owned it from day one, and already the fiat has outpaced first 5 years of owning the Honda in trips to the stealership. Honda had a few issues in the 6th year of ownership.

Even then, I got 5+ years of reliable, no bullshit about it driving. The fiat has given us something new about every 6 weeks or so.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

If you want a sporty small car, I'd go Mini before Fiat. Every magazine comparison I've read has the Mini as the clear winner, and they've been around this country far longer... meaning parts are available easily, and mechanics have had some experience with them.
          I'd even suggest a Fit. The power is lacking, but it's a seriously fun car to drive. It won't break the bank, and I can tell you from personal experience that it can take a hell of a beating and keep itself together.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
            I'd check to see if you can even get approved for a loan first with your debt/income ratio for the price of the car.

I'd sock away money first for a solid downpayment and then build up a reserve fund in case you need it, then consider buying a new car.
            i agree, i personally love not having a car payment. OP also has to consider that his insurace will go higher (at least an extra $100) when car is purchased.

also, i would research on the vehicle you purchase before considering driving up to the dealership. my personal issue is reliability over anything first, then MPG's, then what ever features i can get/add with my price range.
            FRIENDS
            DONT LET
            FRIENDS
            ROLL ON
            ROTA'S

Comment

New cars aren't as big a concern in terms of reliability, since most major things will be covered under warranty. As long as you properly care for the car, it shouldn't have any serious issues. MOST cars, anyway.

I do agree, though... as intriguing as a new car may seem, it's probably not the best idea. Even though your cost of living is low, $20,000 is a meager income. I couldn't live on that little, and my cost of living is VERY low. A car is not an investment.

Comment

Originally posted by drew12000 View Post
                Why do you want more payments?
                Because Abarth.

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                bought my wife a fiat 500 and to be honest we have some issues.
                It's a Fiat, it's Italian...ish. You don't buy Italian cars for reliability, you buy them for the passion, while knowing it'll leave you on the side of the road.

Regarding the Mini, that would be my choice too, but as they're made by BMW aren't parts pretty expensive? A used one is cheaper, but without the warranty you're going to be paying for replacement parts yourself.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  New cars aren't as big a concern in terms of reliability, since most major things will be covered under warranty. As long as you properly care for the car, it shouldn't have any serious issues. MOST cars, anyway.

I do agree, though... as intriguing as a new car may seem, it's probably not the best idea. Even though your cost of living is low, $20,000 is a meager income. I couldn't live on that little, and my cost of living is VERY low. A car is not an investment.
                  Damn, he makes 20k and has rent. I make 33k a year and have no rent, not many payments...where the hell is my money going. ...OH YEAH I support my girl...damnit...

...get rid of girl...get a better car...HUMM lol
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I have a mortgage, 4 cars, and operating expenses for my own business. I can survive on 30k/yr.

Comment

That 20 I make is my hourly. I also run specials as a courier for the company and that makes me another 5k ish a year but that's untaxed money. Toycar talked me out of fiat. I did however see a 09 fit blue 37k on the clock and five speed at a local Honda dealer for 12. Going to drive it today and see if I walk out a fit owner like deev .

But on the subject of a new vehicle. My cousin has a 94 civic ex coupe shell that he'll sell me for 400. Its got me thinking turbo z6 or j swap
                      My 91 ex coupe

Comment

since you mentioned that your a courier, then your main conscern should be MPG's (if you use your own car). if you get paid by the mile, the less gas you use for every mile the more $$$ in your pocket. hybrids get you a tax cut at the end of the year, not much as prior years but still a hefty amount.

if you decide on going with that civic shell, i would advise on a good alarm/tracking system. you dont want to "invest" all that money and then it gets stolen.
                        FRIENDS
                        DONT LET
                        FRIENDS
                        ROLL ON
                        ROTA'S

Comment

Originally posted by dockinrez View Post
                          That 20 I make is my hourly. I also run specials as a courier for the company and that makes me another 5k ish a year but that's untaxed money. Toycar talked me out of fiat. I did however see a 09 fit blue 37k on the clock and five speed at a local Honda dealer for 12. Going to drive it today and see if I walk out a fit owner like deev .

But on the subject of a new vehicle. My cousin has a 94 civic ex coupe shell that he'll sell me for 400. Its got me thinking turbo z6 or j swap
                          Sorry if I rained on your parade
                          Originally posted by wed3k
                          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Sounds like you saved his parade from the rain!

A $12,000 Fit is a much better choice than a $22,000 Fiat. The Fiat makes WAY more power, but the Fit is still really fun to drive. As long as your used one wasn't seriously abused (as in, more abused than mine... which is tough1) then you should be happy with the Fit.
                            Still probably best not to buy any car you have to finance, when there are better uses for your money at the moment... but if you feel the need, best not to spend a year's pay on the price of a car.

Comment

Not really a courier, just a back up driver that gets alot of work although I do turn down most offers. I didn't check out that fit today because I'm waiting on a call about the civic still. Heard it runs but on 3 cylinders. I actually bought my cb7 from him so I got dibs on this one even if its just to flip.

deev, the fit looks top heavy. How does it feel pushing into corners?
                              My 91 ex coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X