No announcement yet.

tips on buying a new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets see I have to say a couple of things. For one bring someone with you who knows about cars. the next thing would be to avoid payments. The last thing you need is to be high up in bills if you cant afford it. Even when you can its still a hassle eventhough it does bring your credit up a bunch.

The next thing would be to set aside some money before you buy it and try to assess how much its going to be to repair things thats the kicker amongst the rest. People can afford to get the car but whats it going to cost to keep it running that is the real question on top of insurance and theft-rate. These are the things you would have to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by dockinrez View Post
      Not really a courier, just a back up driver that gets alot of work although I do turn down most offers. I didn't check out that fit today because I'm waiting on a call about the civic still. Heard it runs but on 3 cylinders. I actually bought my cb7 from him so I got dibs on this one even if its just to flip.

deev, the fit looks top heavy. How does it feel pushing into corners?
      It actually handles quite well. It does seem like it'd be top heavy, but I've tossed it into corners pretty hard and never felt that it was tipping over.

Comment

buy used but dont buy anything in louisiana cause its usually shit =D
        frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

So if you are looking at buying the Fit or any new(er) car then a couple things I might be able to say for you..

For one, on any NEW car, I strongly recommend Truecar.com
          They show you what the actual market value is of the car and what you should purchase the car for vs MSRP. It takes away all the negotiations and tells you what dealers will accept that price. You walk in, get your car at the already preset price and your done.

And at any point, with MOST places you can ask for a copy of the invoice. The Fit brand new is literally only about $300 dollars above invoice for MSRP

And when you are looking for used, check it over with a fine toothed comb. It can take up to six month for any accidents or damage to report to carfax or any other site. There should be a VIN tag on most body panels, make sure they all match.

Some dealers are easier to work with then others as well. you can always try asking to see their cost sheet and see what work has been done to the car. You should be able to see a lot of what is going with the car by whatever service has done to it. And if you really want to go all out, pay the money and take the car to a reputable shop and have them do a full check on the car.

And just check the usual, make sure all the tires are in good shape, that the brakes seem to work as they should, drive it and make sure the alignment is straight and doesn't pull with the brakes pushed in. Honda batteries are absolute junk so ask them to do a battery test on it before you make a purchase. Slide the seats and make sure they move as they should as well as the 'magic' seat in the back. If its a Sport madel (rear wing, foglights, paddle shifters, alloy wheels) make sure the paddles work in all 5 gears..

And also, one of the strongest ways to get the best value is to walk away. Have the dealer running to you in the parking lot saying this is all we can do.. Never accept the first pencil and always be ready to argue the price. Dont be fooled, and be willing to sit there for the 'back and forth' crap.

And just throwing this one out there..

Have you ever thought about Leasing? Honda Leases are some of the easiest and most forgiving leases out there. It gives you options at the end and then you decide what to do. It works out nicely because there is no disposition fee at the end, they allow up the $1500 worth of damages (500 a panel, up to 3 panels) and you have options at the end. This way you know if you like the car you can keep it - either buy it out or finance whatever the residual is, if you hate the car you can trade it in or turn over the keys and your done, or if market value is higher then your residual then you can sell it yourself and pocket the difference between what you sold it and your residual. Plus, if you have any accidents or problems with the car its not your problem. You can literally wreck the car almost to the point of being totaled and still turn it in (fixed of course) for the same exact value. Honda even includes gap at no additional cost. Plus that, you are only taxed on your monthly payment compared to the entire value.

Hope i didnt ramble on too much... Happy car buying!!
          1996 Honda Shadow VT1100C

Sold
          1993 Honda Accord 10th Ann

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            If you want a sporty small car, I'd go Mini before Fiat. Every magazine comparison I've read has the Mini as the clear winner, and they've been around this country far longer... meaning parts are available easily, and mechanics have had some experience with them.
            I'd even suggest a Fit. The power is lacking, but it's a seriously fun car to drive. It won't break the bank, and I can tell you from personal experience that it can take a hell of a beating and keep itself together.
            I think the fiat comes with a maintenance free program planned.

The mini I think might be covered under BMW not sure. http://www.miniusa.com/faq.jsp?categ...q/maintenance-
            Last edited by 8ball; 01-02-2013, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
              I think the fiat comes with a maintenance free program planned.

The mini I think might be covered under BMW not sure. http://www.miniusa.com/faq.jsp?categ...q/maintenance-
              Free or not, it blows having to deal with the only dealership in town, 150+ blocks one direction and 5+ miles another.

It literally takes 35 minutes of hwy driving to get across town to get there. If traffic is stupid it could take hours. Dealing with this, and a charging system that isn't working correctly landing me on the side of the road in a 2012 car, with a dead battery and no charge.

Its just really irritating. Nothing major mechanically has really been wrong, its generally been "oh, this cable had a fucked up end soldered on" or "The a/c clutch relay went out" or "The height adjustment must've been installed incorrectly from the factory" or "The adhesive must not have taken on the emblem" or "Must've been dry in the factory the day they installed the weather stripping"

Its always been some bullshit or another. Not like it threw a rod or burnt a valve. Its just really fucking irritating. Pair how shitty it is to get out to the dealership, with the fact that it always takes 2 visits(inspection, order, then repair) and Im out of town 3-5 days a week.

So, basically its shitty for me dealing with this shit seemingly half the time I am in Omaha.

Fawk. Brand new car should equate to reliable for atleast 40-50k miles.
              Originally posted by wed3k
              im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                Free or not, it blows having to deal with the only dealership in town, 150+ blocks one direction and 5+ miles another.

It literally takes 35 minutes of hwy driving to get across town to get there. If traffic is stupid it could take hours. Dealing with this, and a charging system that isn't working correctly landing me on the side of the road in a 2012 car, with a dead battery and no charge.

Its just really irritating. Nothing major mechanically has really been wrong, its generally been "oh, this cable had a fucked up end soldered on" or "The a/c clutch relay went out" or "The height adjustment must've been installed incorrectly from the factory" or "The adhesive must not have taken on the emblem" or "Must've been dry in the factory the day they installed the weather stripping"

Its always been some bullshit or another. Not like it threw a rod or burnt a valve. Its just really fucking irritating. Pair how shitty it is to get out to the dealership, with the fact that it always takes 2 visits(inspection, order, then repair) and Im out of town 3-5 days a week.

So, basically its shitty for me dealing with this shit seemingly half the time I am in Omaha.

Fawk. Brand new car should equate to reliable for atleast 40-50k miles.
                Damn dat shit cray

I was looking at cheap cars. Looks like scion has the best bang per buck brand new.
                Although the warranty is the shortest.

Kia or hyundai take 2nd place with a longer warranty just ugly/unproven cars

nissan versa sedan 11k but also the crappiest warranty.

I cant even get insurance, outside my parents policy. I found the wrecks my bro got into were thrown under my driving record. im really fucked now. I would pay $500 monthly in insurance for a car with monthly payments of $150

Comment

Working...
                X