Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Steering wheel play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel play

I have a good amount of play in my steering wheel. Want to know if anyone has ever experienced the same issue and knows of a solution. My wheel is VERY easy to turn about an inch or so from side to side, same goes for the actual tire/wheel while attached to the car (in the air) shaking it side to side. I have replaced BOTH inner and outer tie rods on each side. This did help a little bit (they needed to be replaced) but did not completely fix my steering wheel play. I suspect it could be an issue inside the rack itself or possible a bad steering shaft? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

How many miles on your car? When you turn the steering wheel (with tires in the air), do the tires move with the wheel, or are you saying there is that much movement in the steering wheel without any motion at the front wheels? When you say you are "shaking it side to side", do you mean rotating the knuckle left and right? Is this with or without the engine running? How does it compare to when the car is on the ground?

Remove the cover on the inside of the firewall at the bottom of the steering column to view the coupling between the steering shaft and the pinion shaft to make sure the clamp bolts are tight and there is no play in the coupling.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-16-2017, 09:58 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by liltwoll View Post
      I have a good amount of play in my steering wheel. Want to know if anyone has ever experienced the same issue and knows of a solution. My wheel is VERY easy to turn about an inch or so from side to side, same goes for the actual tire/wheel while attached to the car (in the air) shaking it side to side. I have replaced BOTH inner and outer tie rods on each side. This did help a little bit (they needed to be replaced) but did not completely fix my steering wheel play. I suspect it could be an issue inside the rack itself or possible a bad steering shaft? Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
      Upper control arm and upper ball joint needs replacing is my guess. I am replacing mine this weekend. I have had rack, inner and outers replaced and i have same issue still. Not responsive. Too easy to turn it seems. replacing the rack really didn't help much. It wasn't leaking that bad anyways(waste of money i think).

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        How many miles on your car? When you turn the steering wheel (with tires in the air), do the tires move with the wheel, or are you saying there is that much movement in the steering wheel without any motion at the front wheels? When you say you are "shaking it side to side", do you mean rotating the knuckle left and right? Is this with or without the engine running? How does it compare to when the car is on the ground?

Remove the cover on the inside of the firewall at the bottom of the steering column to view the coupling between the steering shaft and the pinion shaft to make sure the clamp bolts are tight and there is no play in the coupling.
        Little over 200k on it. There it play where only the steering wheel will move not bringing the tires with it. Yes moving the knuckle side to side there is also play, not sure if it's bringing the opposite tire with it. Car running or not doesn't matter, still the same with the car on the ground too. Thank you for the quick reply

Comment

So I have the same problem in my wagon too. At this point the whole steering and suspension is new or close too.

I even replaced the column with a low miles one from the junkyard. It helped but still like 5 degrees of play. (the bushings internally where it collapses were shot. just fell out when i took it apart)

So at this point I gotta say its the rack itself. 235k on my accord. so not totally surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by GiggleFactory View Post
            So I have the same problem in my wagon too. At this point the whole steering and suspension is new or close too.

I even replaced the column with a low miles one from the junkyard. It helped but still like 5 degrees of play. (the bushings internally where it collapses were shot. just fell out when i took it apart)

So at this point I gotta say its the rack itself. 235k on my accord. so not totally surprising.
            I agree with it being the rack as well. 5 degrees sounds about right haha, I'm literally able to push the steering wheel with my finger and have it bounce around a couple times, its that loose. Still wouldn't doubt it could be some bushings in the shaft somewhere, never took a look around it yet. Hopefully will get it figured out this weekend and let you know what it was.

Comment

There is an adjustment on the rack that controls the engagement of the rack with the pinion. Instructions on how to adjust it are included in this thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=207857

I will finally be replacing the original rack on Ruby @ 352,000 miles next week with a rebuilt one from Honda, p/n 06536-SM4-515RM. Includes boots and inner tie rod ends. Other tasks: power steering pump, rear upper control arms, rear Bilstein shocks. I probably should do bushings in the lower control arms as well.
              Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-20-2017, 10:41 PM.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
              X