Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Spoiler repair and install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler repair and install

I just recently bought a used spoiler and I am now trying to install it. When I tested the lights, a few of the LEDs were out. I was wondering if anyone knows how to open it up and fix the LEDs. Also, I read the diy on how to install, but am still a little confused. I see the notch in my trunk to drill, but my spoiler has a bolt and a screw on each side. Do I need to drill holes for both? or do i just screw the screw all the way in and just use the bolt?

Originally posted by stevenlo7253 View Post
    I just recently bought a used spoiler and I am now trying to install it. When I tested the lights, a few of the LEDs were out. I was wondering if anyone knows how to open it up and fix the LEDs. Also, I read the diy on how to install, but am still a little confused. I see the notch in my trunk to drill, but my spoiler has a bolt and a screw on each side. Do I need to drill holes for both? or do i just screw the screw all the way in and just use the bolt?

Do you know how to use a soldering iron? I'm not familiar with the CB7 spoiler as i haven't owned one yet but a buddy of mine fixed his CD5 spoiler that had a few broken led's by purchasing new ones either on Ebay or RadioShack and soldering out the old and in the new. You can get a soldering iron for less than $10 and they are a good thing to have for such repairs. Good Luck!

Comment

Yes I know how to solder, but I'm not sure how to open the light housing. It looks as if it is glued together, probably to keep any water from getting in.

Comment

My car used just 3 10mm bolts from the factory for my EX spoiler.

I just recently put on my SE Coupe spoiler which had studs in front, but when I got it at the JY the previous owner filed them down flat.

It'll be fine with just 3 bolts.

member's ride thread
        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
        91 Accord SE 176k
        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Thanks, now I just need to see if I can fix the LEDs, and then I have to paint

Comment

Originally posted by stevenlo7253 View Post
            Thanks, now I just need to see if I can fix the LEDs, and then I have to paint
            I took mine this past weekend to Maaco and for 50 bucks they did an incredible job, even color matches perfectly to my weather beaten paint. They did a Dupont 2 stage base/clear paint job on it. Everyone else wanted at least 150 to do the same work. Took them less than 3 days to do it as well. Dropped it off Thursday afternoon, got it back Monday afternoon.

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Hmmm, I'll check it out. I was originally planning on just painting it myself, but maybe it'll be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                I took mine this past weekend to Maaco and for 50 bucks they did an incredible job, even color matches perfectly to my weather beaten paint. They did a Dupont 2 stage base/clear paint job on it. Everyone else wanted at least 150 to do the same work. Took them less than 3 days to do it as well. Dropped it off Thursday afternoon, got it back Monday afternoon.
                That's awesome! I just picked up an OEM spoiler as well from a junk yard. Was thinking of doing it myself but that's not too much money at all. Definitely doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by TKizzll View Post
                  That's awesome! I just picked up an OEM spoiler as well from a junk yard. Was thinking of doing it myself but that's not too much money at all. Definitely doing this.
                  Wow, nevermind I guess. My local Maaco wants to charge $250. Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by TKizzll View Post
                    Wow, nevermind I guess. My local Maaco wants to charge $250. Lol!
                    Ouch! That's a lot. I think I paid 250 for a high end shop to paint a front bumper for me, but it was new and they didn't have to remove any paint. I would keep searching, there are reasonable shops out there. Maybe the one you went to was busy with full body paint jobs and gave you a high price just so they wouldn't have to do it.

member's ride thread
                    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Not sure anyone answered his questions.

1. The LED bar is glued together and it is not possible to open it up to my knowledge without cutting through the plastic etc and making a mess. You could cut it open and fix the lights but its going to be easier to just find a spoiler with a LED bar that worked and grab it from a junk yard.

2. Installing the spoiler is tricky. There are two "bolts" on each end of the spoiler but only one location hole to drill on the underside of the trunk. Most will drill the one hole and cut the other bolt off the spoiler. To my knowledge one bolt goes through the trunk and gets a nut and the other bolt doesn't reach all the way through the two layers of metal and is just a guide bolt. There's also the middle hole which has no hole and you must figure out where to drill, the same goes for the wires and their access hole.

Even the below DIY doesn't mention that each side of the spoiler has 2 bolts.
                      OEM Spoiler Install w/ pics DIY:
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=74918

Comment

Working...
                      X