Rain gutter availability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain gutter availability?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I wasn't sure where to ask. Is anyone aware of somewhere to get these parts? Specifically 74306-sm4-000 and 74316-sm4-000. They're the rubber gaskets on the roof.

Failing that, have any of you used any alternatives that don't stick out like a sore thumb?
    My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
    Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
    Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

You get them off another car - legally of course. What's wrong with yours, just aged?
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Yeah, they're all dried out. One of mine popped out when I ran it through the car wash the other day. Being such a simple looking design I thought someone might've come up with a good substitute by now.
      My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
      Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
      Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

I've been looking for these as well. I haven't had any luck on any of the oem Honda parts sites (Honda Parts Now, etc..). They are discontinued and there apparently are not many if any aftermarket makers of them. I've considered stripping mine off and resealing with something like silicon and then topping it off with a body filler smoothed to match the roof contours. I think the biggest concern for my idea is body flex cracking any sort of hard filler used. I also considered pulling them off another car but at best this will only prolong the issues as eventually those too will dry out and crack.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
          I've been looking for these as well. I haven't had any luck on any of the oem Honda parts sites (Honda Parts Now, etc..). They are discontinued and there apparently are not many if any aftermarket makers of them. I've considered stripping mine off and resealing with something like silicon and then topping it off with a body filler smoothed to match the roof contours. I think the biggest concern for my idea is body flex cracking any sort of hard filler used. I also considered pulling them off another car but at best this will only prolong the issues as eventually those too will dry out and crack.
          I've heard of people doing that years ago with it ending up cracking. The roof actually flexes more than you'd imagine.

The gutters are actually functional in keeping the major volume of rain off of the sides of the car. Why not just pull the strips out and leave the channels as-is? I don't think the rubber strips did a whole heck of a lot, besides maybe keeping large chunks of stuff from getting caught in the channel.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
            I've heard of people doing that years ago with it ending up cracking. The roof actually flexes more than you'd imagine.

The gutters are actually functional in keeping the major volume of rain off of the sides of the car. Why not just pull the strips out and leave the channels as-is? I don't think the rubber strips did a whole heck of a lot, besides maybe keeping large chunks of stuff from getting caught in the channel.
            Yeah I figured that would be the biggest issue. I assumed that because the seals were even present that they sealed the roof where it meets the body from water seeping in. Simply removing the weather seal might allow more of a chance of a leak and in my opinion it looks ugly.

Comment

I would love to know how to fix this as well. When I bought my CB my rubber strips were in the trunk & I have never put them on unfortunately.
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
                I would love to know how to fix this as well. When I bought my CB my rubber strips were in the trunk & I have never put them on unfortunately.
                Have you had any issues with seepage or leaks during rain or when washing?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
                  Have you had any issues with seepage or leaks during rain or when washing?
                  LOL yes. I only get water in my trunk on the left & right sides where it sort of slopes down. But, I think that from the weatherstrip for the trunk if I remember reading correctly on another thread.
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

The rubber strips in the roof aren't a seal. The trough is a welded seam and filled with a hard sealant before the body is painted. I did have that hard sealant start cracking on my 90.

Trunk leaks are another matter. If your trunk leaks near the C pillars, it is more likely the clips for the lower portion of the rear window trim than the trunk seal itself. There are eight clips that go through the body, each with its own little gasket. That gasket hardens and cracks, letting water in, the water accumulates in a channel under the clips at the top/back of the trunk opening, then drains to either side near where the hinges are mounted. The correct way to fix it is to remove the trim/clips, clean off the old gasket and install new ones. New gaskets from Honda only come with new clips (not sure if still available), but they can be make from pieces of weatherstripping from a hardware store.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=16577
                    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-13-2018, 11:14 PM.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Good info fleetw00d. I did read another thread about revisting those gaskets but I was afraid to do it because I know I read that some people had
                      trouble removing the rear window trim. But, I really need to repair those gaskets though.

Is there a DIY on this?
                      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Removing the rear window trim is a PITA. It's doable though, and once removed then you can remove the rubber trim piece. I found a nice set in the junkyard from an Accord that must have been garaged, as they are much more supple than almost all of the others I have seen.
                        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Working...
                        X