Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

91 ex fuel pressure issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 ex fuel pressure issue

Fuel system having an issue maintaining pressure on my 91 ex. Takes a few minutes to get it to crank but once it cranks it's fine, hesitates some but does not cut off like it's a fuel pump.

Checked injectors, regulator and not leaking anywhere.

Anyone ever had this issue? Thinking it's something in the fuel tank.

Originally posted by EG9 View Post
    Fuel system having an issue maintaining pressure on my 91 ex. Takes a few minutes to get it to crank but once it cranks it's fine, hesitates some but does not cut off like it's a fuel pump.

Checked injectors, regulator and not leaking anywhere.

Anyone ever had this issue? Thinking it's something in the fuel tank.
    How long as this been happening and how do you know it's related to fuel pressure?

Comment

Have you checked your fuel cap? I have no idea why, but just today as I was filling up gas, I went to take off the fuel cap and some hissing noise as if air was escaping came out

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
        How long as this been happening and how do you know it's related to fuel pressure?
        Just bought the car couple weeks ago and started driving it Thursday.

Took it to a local shop, place called NTB on Friday. They tried figuring it out but couldn't figure it out. They tried a new regulator but keeps wanting to lose pressure.

I'm also getting a TCM code 13 if anyone thinks that may have something to do with it. Going to run by a local transmission shop see if they can figure out what the TCM code issue could be.

I'm not sure it's even the original motor for this Accord and if it's not the original motor/trans I've read that could be the issue with the TCM not matching the trans if it didn't come out of a 91 ex.

Comment

Originally posted by blind_peach View Post
          Have you checked your fuel cap? I have no idea why, but just today as I was filling up gas, I went to take off the fuel cap and some hissing noise as if air was escaping came out
          I'll check the cap out tomorrow. Always a possibility.

Comment

Just bought the car couple weeks ago and started driving it Thursday.

Took it to a local shop, place called NTB on Friday. They tried figuring it out but couldn't figure it out. They tried a new regulator but keeps wanting to lose pressure.

I'm also getting a TCM code 13 if anyone thinks that may have something to do with it. Going to run by a local transmission shop see if they can figure out what the TCM code issue could be.

I'm not sure it's even the original motor for this Accord and if it's not the original motor/trans I've read that could be the issue with the TCM not matching the trans if it didn't come out of a 91 ex.
            There is a one way valve in the fuel pump I believe that helps hold the pressure, that may be leaking. Honestly I wouldn't trust a tire shop (if you are referring to the NTB I'm thinking of) to diagnose car problems. If you need a professional take it to Honda.

Comment

There is a one way valve in the fuel pump I believe that helps hold the pressure, that may be leaking. Honestly I wouldn't trust a tire shop (if you are referring to the NTB I'm thinking of) to diagnose car problems. If you need a professional take it to Honda.
              Probably the same NTB but always good people there when I've dealt with them in the past. Didn't charge me a thing and they messed with it off an on yesterday. I can't complain about them other than the coffee isn't great. At least I know now that it's more than likely some in the gas tank (or gas cap......hopefully!!!).

Comment

you said you think you don't have pressure or you know you don't? do you hear your fuel pump prime (hum) when you turn your key to the on position?

Comment

Originally posted by accordlove View Post
                  you said you think you don't have pressure or you know you don't? do you hear your fuel pump prime (hum) when you turn your key to the on position?
                  Sorry I'll rephrase........

NTB used a fuel pressure gauge and it keeps losing pressure somewhere in the system.

Comment

How quickly is it loosing pressure? Does it hold pressure once the engine is running?

If your not seeing fuel leaking anywhere and your cylinders aren't flooding with fuel (Leaking injectors), I would say the check valve in the pump is passing fuel back into the tank.

Check your spark plugs/cylinders and see if any of them are wet with fuel after you shut off the car.

Turn your key forward 2-3 times, let the pump prime each time and see if it will fire up right away.
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                      How quickly is it loosing pressure? Does it hold pressure once the engine is running?

If your not seeing fuel leaking anywhere and your cylinders aren't flooding with fuel (Leaking injectors), I would say the check valve in the pump is passing fuel back into the tank.

Check your spark plugs/cylinders and see if any of them are wet with fuel after you shut off the car.

Turn your key forward 2-3 times, let the pump prime each time and see if it will fire up right away.
                      It runs and drives just takes a few times to crank up. Does sputter a little every now and then when accelerating.

You can hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on.

NTB checked everything at the spark plugs/cylinders/fuel injectors/fuel rail and all lines outside the tank, got a new fuel pressure regulator and tried that.

Seems to be the biggest problem when it's at a cold start and I have to turn the key on for a few minutes, even turn it a few times before it will crank.

Got a new gas cap for it today but so far don't think that is the problem but we'll see the next day or so.

Comment

Think I'm just going to replace the fuel pump and inspect/replace hoses back at the tank.

Comment

It runs and drives just takes a few times to crank up. Does sputter a little every now and then when accelerating.

You can hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on.

NTB checked everything at the spark plugs/cylinders/fuel injectors/fuel rail and all lines outside the tank, got a new fuel pressure regulator and tried that.

Seems to be the biggest problem when it's at a cold start and I have to turn the key on for a few minutes, even turn it a few times before it will crank.

Got a new gas cap for it today but so far don't think that is the problem but we'll see the next day or so.
                          Think I'm just going to replace the fuel pump and inspect/replace hoses back at the tank.
                          unless you live in an area where rust is an issue, i doubt there is a leak. unless someone is sabotaging you... anyways pop your hood, find the fuel filter, look for the pressure line going to the fuel rail and see if it gets pressure. if not its either the filter or pump, if it is getting pressure id assume injectors, but from what i hear, our injectors dont fail often. im no expert mechanic either lol good luck.

Comment

Leaving the key in the "on" position without the engine running doesn't do any good to pressurize the system. The pump runs for 2 seconds after turning the key to "on", then shuts off until you actually turn the key to "start". Turning it "on" for 2 seconds, off, then "on" again (and maybe a 3rd time), then go to start and it starts right away; then it is likely the pump check valve. Before I dropped the tank to replace the pump, I'd try to run a bottle or two of good fuel system cleaner through the tank to maybe ungunk the check valve.
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

There is a one way valve in the fuel pump I believe that helps hold the pressure, that may be leaking.

Comment

Working...
                              X