INT : DIY plastic polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikes_accord_se
    hey where did you find this polishing stuff? i already looked at advanced auto and autozone with no luck...
    google.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by mikes_accord_se
      hey where did you find this polishing stuff? i already looked at advanced auto and autozone with no luck...
      for the buffing wheels- some car parts stores, hardware stores and detail shops, you kind of have to seek them out.

for the polish(s)- www.mothers.com , pep boys, wal mart, ect. later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
        for the buffing wheels- some car parts stores, hardware stores and detail shops, you kind of have to seek them out.

for the polish(s)- www.mothers.com , pep boys, wal mart, ect. later.
        Anything wrong with using Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish on glass USDM headlights? If not I'll try it and let you guys know how it works out

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
          Anything wrong with using Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish on glass USDM headlights? If not I'll try it and let you guys know how it works out
          I did it and after i followed up with clear plastic polish and it looks real good

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
            there's nothing wrong with it, it's just not very effective on glass. you'd be better off using a glass polish or even chrome polish. the admins on the mother's wax forum said that the chrome polish was more agressive than the mag and aluminum polish. it's kind of hard to belive, but i'll take their word for it. i tried the mag polish on glass and i buffed for a while......it was hard to tell, but i think it lessened the scratches. if you get some glass polish, be careful not to make the glass wavey, as it may distort vision. later.

Comment

a great thx to you type_G
              i polish all on my car from now
              My Ride Thread
              The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
              Mark Twain

FaceBook

Comment

This is real nice..
                Thanks for sharing TypeG..

Comment

for all of you that are still looking for the polishes and powerball, check out ebay...there are a few sellers that have a nice lil package that bring Mothers Plastic polish, aluminum polish, Back to black, and a powerball..just shop around

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
                  Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
                  by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

Damn, this thing works really good. Did my One-Piece today and it's just amazing. Thanks Type-G

Na Lobi Bien Mua Café Mua Café Oyo Na Meli Elingi Ko Bima. J'aime les Madesu ya Mpembe que du Poulet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by seigneur_rayden
                      Damn, this thing works really good. Did my One-Piece today and it's just amazing. Thanks Type-G
                      cool. do you have any before/after pics? later.

Comment

TypeG,

This is a little off topic but still relevant. My little brother has a '99 mustang and his headlights are all hazy/slightly yellow. I assume it is just degradation from sitting out in the sun (the very top of the lens are shielded by the hood overhang and it looks perfect). My Dad and I have worked on it with some plastic polish and that seems to improve it but it is very slow going and feels like we are doing very little.

I was going to try the Aluminum/Mag wheel to polish to see if that would cut it better, but would you recommend sanding?

Thanks.
                        Zach

93 Accord EX coupe
                        91 Accord DX 4-door

Comment

i would aviod sanding them unless there are deep scratches, nicks, ect.

instead, i would use mother's mag and aluminum polish with a powerball or wool buffing wheel. it is more agressive than the plastic polish and you can use it to make the inital cut. buff til it's clear, then buff by hand for a while with the plastic polish. the plastic polish will make them crystal clear. after you get them the way you want, then it's just regular maitenance with plastic polish as needed to prevent then from clouding. later.

Comment

TypeG,

I tried your method on an old bumper light I had, using the the cloth/non sanding buffing wheel that came with my Dremel and Mothers Mag and Wheel, and I ended up just buring through the plastic and distorting the lense. Any ideas why that happened? I moved over the sections fairly quickly.

I'm interesting in polishing up my fogs in the future, but I don't want risk doing the same thing. Do you think I should stick to doing it by hand?

Comment

sticking to hand would would be the safer way.

the reason the dremel burned the plastic, is because it spins to fast and it's force is concentrated in to small of an area. i wouldn't use a dremel with plastic polishing at all.

if i don't do it by hand, i use a drill, because they spin slower and the force is more spread out. the attachments are much bigger also. you should be fine with something like the powerball on a drill.

you may not even need to buff with the drill. i usually do that to remove pits, scratches, or cloudyness, or even to save some time. later.

Comment

TypeG, is it really hard to get mother's plastic polish Because I could not find any in Houston from autozone, O'reilly, advance auto part, walmart. Do you think I should by it from ebay? Is there any other brand that you would suggest since I think you are an expert in detailing.
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X