Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cant find my hidden Oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant find my hidden Oil leak

So recently i did some work to my front bumper and had my car parked up for about 4 days. i know that a bumper shouldnt take 4 days to finish but i've been occupied with family. but moving along, i decided to take my car out for a spin today and after i reached normal operating temperature, i decided to launch my car up the street in front of a few friends, but when i releases the clutch and got on the gas, i didnt feel the raw power from my f22 kick in the way it usually does. Feeling ashamed, i pulled over, popped the hood and checked my oil, surprisingly there was barely anything on the dipstick. To wrap things up, i put my car on jack stands and could not a a drop of oil flowing from the bottom.When i let my car idle i went to exhaust and could see a mild white smoke but the smell of oil was not really there. As of now i think it might be my rings but any advice will be appreciated.

(dont wanna be that weird guy but i feel a connection with my car (not intimate) but when somethings wrong with it, it irritates me everyday)

My Specs:
    F22a stock
    5 speed manual
    Last oil changed: November 1, 2013
    Oil was scheduled to change February 7, 2014 but will be advanced to tomorrow.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your holidays!

If it really needs to be changed, go ahead. Otherwise, fill it to the top mark on the stick, then start checking at regular intervals (as often as every gas fill up) to determine at what rate you are losing or using oil. Check your coolant to make sure it is not being forced into the cooling system. If there is nothing in the coolant or leaking from the engine, then it is using it somehow. At 250,000 miles, it wouldn't be unusual to be using a quart every 1000 miles (my 90 is currently using a quart every tank of gas with no obvious large leaks or blue smoke or fouled plugs).
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      If it really needs to be changed, go ahead. Otherwise, fill it to the top mark on the stick, then start checking at regular intervals (as often as every gas fill up) to determine at what rate you are losing or using oil. Check your coolant to make sure it is not being forced into the cooling system. If there is nothing in the coolant or leaking from the engine, then it is using it somehow. At 250,000 miles, it wouldn't be unusual to be using a quart every 1000 miles (my 90 is currently using a quart every tank of gas with no obvious large leaks or blue smoke or fouled plugs).
      Thats something im planning on doing from now on. But to be honest, im not to happy with the idea of adding a quart everytime i fill up, no offense but thats a bit abnormal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
        Thats something im planning on doing from now on. But to be honest, im not to happy with the idea of adding a quart everytime i fill up, no offense but thats a bit abnormal.
        No offense taken, I know its abnormal; I'm debating about what to do with it, either see if a set of valve seals will improve it, or find a low mileage F22A6 to swap in. I've been busy at work and suffered a severe eye injury before Thanksgiving that has been a bit of a setback.

I'm not suggesting that yours is that bad, you just need to check more often until you get a better idea of how much you're actually going through. How far have you driven it since the last oil change to the time that you checked it?
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Check your spark plugs for signs of oil consumption. Keep an eye on your exhaust, and have someone drive behind you as you floor it. If they see blue smoke, you're burning oil. A faint white smoke at idle could simply be condensation, or improperly burned fuel (fuel smoke is black, but if it's only a little, it may not look black.)
          White smoke is coolant, but you'll know that by the sweet smell.

How clean is your engine? Clean it off really well (not fun in the cold, I know) and you'll be able to see evidence of a leak much more easily.

From the sound of it, you're probably burning it. Most likely when accelerating, when things are put under the most pressure.

Comment

Did you check the oil immediately after pulling over? If you did that could be a reason for the low reading. Wait a few minutes after turning the car off to check your oil. It needs time to all flow back down to the pan. There are some snake oils that add viscosity to your oil to help reduce blow by. Do dry and wet compression tests. If the compression is significantly higher when wet, you probably have bad rings and are burning oil. On a different note, degrease your engine and drive then take another look to see if you cant find the leaks.

Comment

pull you're plug wire's from the valve cover . are they soaked with oil ? open the dizzy . is there oil in there ? as oil get's in or on these parts it will cause issue's .
              this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
              How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
              Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Best bet to pin point your mystery oil leak, is to go to a local AutoZone or any parts store and see if they sell oil dye. You'll need a UV flashlight (preferably one with a high lumens) and a set of yellow sunglasses.

Put the dye in the next oil change you perform, put the car on stands (securely of course) and let the motor run for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Using the UV light and the yellow sunglasses you should be able to source the leak.

Worse case scenario you might have worn valve guides.
                Henry R
                Koni/Neuspeed
                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                  Best bet to pin point your mystery oil leak, is to go to a local AutoZone or any parts store and see if they sell oil dye. You'll need a UV flashlight (preferably one with a high lumens) and a set of yellow sunglasses.

Put the dye in the next oil change you perform, put the car on stands (securely of course) and let the motor run for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Using the UV light and the yellow sunglasses you should be able to source the leak.

Worse case scenario you might have worn valve guides.
                  My only advice to add to this (ps, spot on advice man!) is before you add the UV dye pack, Brake clean/engine degrease the entire engine, so its 100% dry. Then you dont need to look at all the old oil stains, and you will see just where the origin of your leak is.

This is how we do it professionally in the trade. If you took it to a shop to get diagnosed, this is what we would do.

Comment

I find that most significant leaks can be traced even without the dye, so long as you do a good enough job cleaning beforehand. Just my $0.02.

Comment

Working...
                    X