Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1991 Accord LX Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two weeks or so to our next race. This time at Sonoma (Sears Point to me). We've moved the battery and replaced the cuttoff switch with one that won't damage the alternator. We replaced the steering and the big frame piece that carries the steering rack and the rear motor mount etc. We just got new much smaller diameter tires for lower final drive. They look different than the current fashion but should make us faster. We got a new driver who has been helping with the wrenching a bit.

I'm hoping we can break out of the 50th place range.

More details are in here
    http://picknpullracing.wordpress.com

This will be the last ride as the Minnow. We are changing our theme for the next race. Unless someone beats us to it this race it should be something from universe C137.
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Looks awesome, what size tires/wheels you running? What brand?

I love the Hankook RS4's 225/45-15 on 15x8's. They seem perfect for the CB7

I've signed up for Lucky Dog at Laguna Seca on July 13-14, did you sign up for that race? It's sold out now, I hope you did I only have 2 drivers for sure right now, but I'm hoping to get 2 more to confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by aventari View Post
        Looks awesome, what size tires/wheels you running? What brand?

I love the Hankook RS4's 225/45-15 on 15x8's. They seem perfect for the CB7

I've signed up for Lucky Dog at Laguna Seca on July 13-14, did you sign up for that race? It's sold out now, I hope you did I only have 2 drivers for sure right now, but I'm hoping to get 2 more to confirm.
        I did not sign up for Laguna Seca

The tires are the Falkens in size 205-40-16. We've never tried the Hankooks.
        We started with 225-45-17s for several races. Then we down sized to 205-50-16. The smaller wheels and tires made a big difference. Love that reduced rotational weight. These tires are about 1.5" smaller diameter. These tires will give us a 9% lower final drive ratio compared to our last race and the unspring/rotational weight will be even lower. Yeeha!

There is another cb7 accord racing in NorCal lemons. They call it the Accordion. Depsite being nearly stock f22a1 they are suprisingly quick. I think they drive long stints. I noticed they are running tiny wheels/tires. I know it is conterintuitive but you don't need huge tires to get great grip.

We can't fit 15" wheels on it anymore. They don't clear our Acura CL brakes. Which reminds me, I have four steelies with road tires with good tread left. Free to anyone who will come take them away.
        M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.

Comment

The race did not go well at all. After 7 laps the left axle pulled out of the inner cv joint. We fixed it and got it back on the track sunday morning and the same thing happened again.

I believe the frame is more bent that I thought and it causes the left axle to have to reach too far. We're looking for someone who can straighten the frame. If that fails we'll be looking for another accord. EX this time.

Comment

I only have 2 drivers for sure right now, but I'm hoping to get 2 more to confirm.
            If you need another driver, I could be talked into it.

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
              I will keep you in mind! We have 3 right now, still trying to get confirmation for the 4th

As for the frame, I had my frame straightened by a local frame shop here in San Diego and he did a great job. They used to do these Accrords all the time 10-20 years ago so they have experience. He said the front frame horns are really weak and always bend in any kind of hit. They kind of hang out in front of the subframe with no support and they dont hold up.

We hit the front corner of the car and that bent a wheel and shifted the whole front over. They were able to put it on the rack and straighten it. It feels perfect now and we can get good, even alignment.
              I dont recall what caused your damage though.

Maybe call around to some frame shops that have been around for a long time and they should have experience with these cars.

It will cost about $1000 though..

Comment

I will keep you in mind! We have 3 right now, still trying to get confirmation for the 4th

As for the frame, I had my frame straightened by a local frame shop here in San Diego and he did a great job. They used to do these Accrords all the time 10-20 years ago so they have experience. He said the front frame horns are really weak and always bend in any kind of hit. They kind of hang out in front of the subframe with no support and they dont hold up.

We hit the front corner of the car and that bent a wheel and shifted the whole front over. They were able to put it on the rack and straighten it. It feels perfect now and we can get good, even alignment.
                I dont recall what caused your damage though.

Maybe call around to some frame shops that have been around for a long time and they should have experience with these cars.

It will cost about $1000 though..
                I canvassed the paddocks before we left Sunday and got a few recommends for local lemons friendly frame shops.

This is what bent us up:
                https://youtu.be/hQ28C9P_Sjg?t=2m12s

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the rear cross members in an AT car and a MT?

EDIT: nevermind, I already asked the same question elsewhere and got useful answers.
                  Last edited by ukemike; 01-08-2018, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
                    That actually might work out
                    Send me an email at aventari@gmail.com

Comment

A Brand New Car!

We gave up on the Minnow. We found a local car that has already been stripped and caged. We hope the cage is up to Lemons specs, or it was in 2012. It is an 1993 LX in that bluegreen color, it has about 170,000 on it. The motor seems pretty tight, unlike our motor in the Minnow. The previous owner kept it registered and street legal. So when the team showed up to buy it last sunday, I ended up driving it from Pleasant Hill to its new home in Berkeley.

https://picknpullracing.files.wordpr...140431_hdr.jpg (the image was too big to embed and I don't have time to upload a smaller one)

We haven't settled on a theme yet. We've pretty much decided that we aren't going to make the May Thunderhill race, which is a shame. They are racing on the full 5 mile course, and it is sooooo much fun.

Yesterday Jason, Tedd, and I swapped the entire front end out from the Minnow into the new car, and the front end from the new car into the Minnow. That included the shocks, springs, adjustable upper control arms, knuckles, and brakes. Next week Tedd, hopefully Dennis, and I are going to try to swap the whole rear ends. We'll swap the exhausts at the same time since you have to drop the catback to remove the rear-subframe anyway.

After that we plan to pull the engine and transmission from the minnow, and everything else useful from the Minnow before getting rid of it. This could even give us the opportunity to rebuild the old engine, without being in a hurry. It would be great if we could get our low geared LSD transmission in the new car before our first race.

We are not really sure how to get rid of the carcass of the old. But we are very excited about having a straight new chassis.
                      Last edited by ukemike; 04-22-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Your new car looks identical to my car when we started in 2010. Same color and everything

Good luck with it, keep us updated!

You should keep the Minnow around for body parts and such. Crapcan racing can be pretty ruthless sometimes. At least keep the bumpers , fenders, hood, doors, trunk and cut out the quarter panels.

Comment

Your new car looks identical to my car when we started in 2010. Same color and everything

Good luck with it, keep us updated!

You should keep the Minnow around for body parts and such. Crapcan racing can be pretty ruthless sometimes. At least keep the bumpers , fenders, hood, doors, trunk and cut out the quarter panels.

I noticed that too after you posted your last update. Honestly we are not trying to copy you.

We are in the process of swapping all our good parts over. We did the front knuckles and brakes last weekend. Today we are going to the rear end from the subframe out.

Tedd, wants and needs the Minnow gone, sooner rather than later, because his driveway just isn't big enough for an extra car, and I get that. We are definitely taking the engine and trans out of the minnow. I'm going to clear some space in my storage unit for the extra motor. I'll think about keeping some fenders and other body parts.

Comment

The Minnow has been stipped clean.

We've finished stripping the Minnow. We got our trick transmission last weekend, and the motor this weekend. This is Tedd and Dennis with the old faithful motor from the Minnow.

It's kind of sad to see our car stripped clean

I've spent hours sorting out the wiring mess left by the previous owner. He did a great job of pruning the wiring harness of things that were not wanted, but what was left was a bit of a mess. While I was at it I relocated the battery inside the car. Dennis is making us a switch panel for the power cutoff and the starter button based on this cardboard mock-up.

Then once the switch arrives I can finish wiring it up. Then it will be time to install the clutch and transmission in the new car.

http://picknpullracing.wordpress.com

Comment

Great stuff!

I really wish we had pruned our wiring harness. It seems really difficult. How did you do it?

Comment

Great stuff!

I really wish we had pruned our wiring harness. It seems really difficult. How did you do it?
                                The previous owner did most of it, and did a nice job of it. But he did leave some messes behind. I don't think they thought about where the wires would run before the cage got welded in. And he decided he wanted to save the adjustable power mirrors. So there was a rat's nest of wires just for that funciton. I got rid of most of that mess. I spent lots of time looking at wires, is this the yellow wire with the green stripes or the yellow wire with the gray stripes? My multi meter is my friend when cleaning up that sort of mess.

Comment

Working...
                                X