EXT: Spray-on lense tinting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Spray-on lense tinting

I got bored thought to tint my new clears because hey!
    if i messed up its easy to put paint thinner on a paper towell and wipe it off.

so here we go.

items:
    general adhesive cleaner or paint thinner or isapropyl alcohol
    testors window tint tran black

paper towells (a few incase you mess up)

for bumper lenses you just clean em off don't sand or anything.. or atleast i didn't.

here is the results.

coat 1:

coat 2:

coat 3:

coat 4:

coat 5:

AHHH ORANGE PEEL > me
    coat 6:

Heavier coat to fill in the orange peel.

:: thats as far as i went i liked it.
    i shined a flash light through it was pretty visible.

I might be sanding this down with like 800 and put a final on it and see how it looks. or wether sanding it just fucks it all kinds of up.

as far as i'm concerned-
    the limo dark stick on stuff looks a bit nicer
    but this will probably have better visibility and cheapness.
    also easier to take off if you wanted to.

EDIT :: ----------------------
    bought some limo dark
    folowed the intructions and i kept getting air lines from the edges..
    no idea.

:::;

I thought i had some Nasty ass drips on one of my corners .. but
    i stripped the paint off.
    AND WTF!!!
    The plastic cracked in 3 places...
    WTF?? i duno if its because i put some cold water on there and the plastic didn't like it so decided to snap.
    ... but i'm pretty damn sure i didn't drop it.
    unless my mom or dad came in a knocked them or kicked them over.
    but still i figured they wouldn't break..

BTW
    i'm going to sand it over so the cracks are less iminent.
    then just get some primer and put it over all of it.
    then try it again..

now i have to go buy another like 2 cans of that paint!!
    uhg. its 5$ a pop.
    Last edited by sirs1ayer; 09-30-2006, 03:29 PM.
    uh... if by overboosted you mean "right the fuck on" then, sure, it is.

Thats cool dude. I wanna do that to a set of red/clear tails. Just over the clear part. Thats cool. Nicely done

Comment

yeah i'm going to do it to my regular tails see how shitty it looks.
      today i'm getting that limmo dark tint shit from walmart and seeing the dif

Comment

Is there a specific cleanser that should be used when wiping down the lenses to promote better adhesion? Alcohol, paint thinner, windex, etc...
        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

I did this with my old 90-91 tails. Let me know how this holds up to a washing/rain. I never got that far on my last piece.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
            I did this with my old 90-91 tails. Let me know how this holds up to a washing/rain. I never got that far on my last piece.
            Mike I tinted my oem tails and I gave no clear coat and they held up against rain and snow and my powerwasher lol.

Comment

Originally posted by maroonaccord2.2
              Is there a specific cleanser that should be used when wiping down the lenses to promote better adhesion? Alcohol, paint thinner, windex, etc...
              didn't try any different ones.
              i just used general adhesion cleaner.

i'm sure you could spary some adhesion promoter on there if you wanted to.

Comment

Go and get the vht nightshade paint it works great and will stand up to all of the weather and washing.and wait 15min in between coats or you didn' clean it that good,cause I saw it bubble up.

Car audio classifieds...
                http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/f...ferrerid=12120
                Youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/blackoutt334?feature=mhee

Comment

i was getting impaitent and it was the first time i tried it.
                  i'm getting a box from testors with more.
                  (i bought out hobbylobby) haha

and yeah i might get a can of nightshades and see the difference.

and if it doesn't stand up that well.
                  thats what clear coats are for!! haha

Comment

i did this to my tails and they held up very nicely.
                    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
                    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

I "made" something I couldn't buy --- amber '90-'91 bumper lights:

Started with clears bought on eBay (Sonar is who makes the lights) --- not "Euro clear", but the kind that looks like OEM (in other words you can see a textured reflector and not the bulb inside).

A few light coats of Krylon Transparent Amber bought off the Internet and a few coats of clear spray paint.

Now I just need to get them in and see if clear or amber bulbs look best.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

sirs1ayer, have you ever waxed your blinkers anytime before the painting?

the reason i ask is because of the severity of the orange peel. i know you preped them, but certain types of waxes aren't bodyshop safe and can't be removed with standard paint prep. if a wax is not bodyshop safe, they contain certain bad types of low grade silicones which aren't paintable. if you do paint over them, you get bad orange peel, fish eyes, runs, ect. that could be your problem. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

i don't mean to get off your topic but where did you get that amber paint on the internet???? thanks.
                          hey. my cb7 has morphed. haha.

Comment

Sorry, it's not amber, it's really their "Stained Glass" orange paint. Got it at Mister Art: http://www.misterart.com/store/view....9082&store=003

I used most of a 6 oz. can on them, 4 good coats or so?

I also got a smaller can from Testors's web site. Paint is by Pactra: http://www.testors.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=1267 <<< however I didn't use it; I just bought both because I didn't know which would work better.

After I did my quickie job with the Krylon can I was over at my next door neighbors and saw he has a full Testors airbrush kit since he makes models. Oh well.

Either way, don't forget to slap some clear of some kind on there. Also, even without suffering orange peel I couldn't prevent the finish from becoming satin-like. It's fine from about 3 feet away but isn't super-smooth like un-painted would be. Maybe I should have brushed it on?
                            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

i also did my corners and bumper lights with spray as well, i used the krylon stained glass paint as well.
                              good stuff, but ensure that someone doesnt put an orange cap on a yellow bottle(happened to me).
                              2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
                              2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Working...
                              X