PS Mystery Foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS Mystery Foam

Yesterday, i noticed some PSF residue around the top of the reservoir and the eng bay under the reservoir. I am not sure what happened.

This morning it was somewhat cold, approximately 40 degrees. I popped the hood, wiped up the residue, and topped off the PSF to max. I started my car and proceeded to turn the steering wheel. It started to foam.

my initial thought was that there was a leak. i couldn't search for the leak so i went to work. I parked and popped the hood to check the PSF reservoir if any signs of overflowing out of the mouth; no PSF residue, nor foam. I went to lunch and checked again; no bubbles nor PSF coming out of the mouth.

Is it good practice to let the car run for a minute or two before turning the steering wheel?

Is my PS Cap going bad?

Get a turkey baster and take some of that fluid out. You don't want your reservoir full to top.

Comment

it is not full to the top of the opening. it is just at the max mark.

Comment

Originally posted by ca93accord View Post
        Is it good practice to let the car run for a minute or two before turning the steering wheel?

Is my PS Cap going bad?
        Something isn't right if u have to let it run for a minute. That is not normal practice. You should not mix different ps fluid brands. Nor should u use anything other than honda atf for autos and honda mtf for manuals. I don't have much experience with power steering so maybe someone else will chime in.

Comment

air leak... but.. it may be internal (or if you reverse think, the PS cannot flush the air; aka: PS not doing it's job somehow). This could also mean a blockage due to the fluid needs to circulate to flush out air.

Comment

Raf99 and Zedjr10,
            I wasn't really waiting for a minute from engine start and driving off to go to work. Its like 10 seconds. this morning, i tried to duplicate what i did yesterday. I popped the hood, cranked the engine, turned the steering wheel, and checked the PS Reservoir; no foaming or bubbling. I drove to work, parked, and checked it again; no foam nor bubbles. My PSF is staying at the Max mark and no higher than the mark. It works as advertised. No whine or anything weird.

As far as the type of PSF, i only use Honda PSF from the dealership. thanks for the help Raf99 and Zedjr10. I am going to chalk this one up for unexplainable phenomenon.

Have a good CB7 day.

Comment

Good to know you got it resolved.

Comment

I think you are really supposed to add the PS fluid while the car is running?

Then get the wheels in the air & go from right to left on the steering wheel
                to bleed the system.
                Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
                  I think you are really supposed to add the PS fluid while the car is running?

Then get the wheels in the air & go from right to left on the steering wheel
                  to bleed the system.
                  I just read / remember to bleed the system by turning wheels right to left over and over.

Comment

Working...
                  X