mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by honda2014 View Post
    I get about 24 mpg all around, with a full tune up and everything besides the actual engine is in good health. NGK plugs and wires, no bad oil leaks(cam seal leak, very minor if even existent anymore), new fuel filter and kn filter on a generic sri. 300k miles does a lot to an engine.. And my transmission is automatic, that has a lot to do with it. Fucking shifting all the time -.- Driving helps a lot. I am extremely conservative, partly because my engine is in weak health, and partly because I want to save gas. I rarely drive above 3k rpm, usually at 2k or right under. If you really want to get fuel efficient, bump up your tire pressure to say, 38, maybe 40, and use fuel injector cleaner(lucas fuel additive works wonders. I literally get 3mpg+ everytime I use it, def worth it). Weight reduction and a tune to make your fuel consumption lean would be good, too. It depends on how good you want it to be. If you want 38 mpg constantly, go get a d series ef civic. MPG isn't what accords are all about.
    Like I said earlier in this thread. h311ra151n is getting 37mpg and it has 370,000 miles. His auto has 245,000 miles and gets 31mpg and it pisses a quart of oil every 50 miles. Other than the rear main seal in the auto which isnt drove anymore, they are extremely well maintained.

My tires max inflation is 40psi. So 38-40psi wont be too much. But the idea of increasing psi above proper inflation to improve mileage is not correct.

Tuning your engine to run lean is a horrible idea.

Weight reduction does wonders to an extent. Getting rid of all the crap people haul around will make a difference depending on how much crap there is.

What most people forget is that adding fuel additives increase the cost of the tank of gas you add it to. They forget that they payed for the fuel additive. Most times you actually lose money even though it gets better mileage.

You say you get 3mpg better using Lucas.
    A gallon of gas here costs $3.54.
    A bottle of Lucas fuel additive is $7.00.
    If your getting 24 mpg your going 300 miles on 12.5 gallons. It costs you $44.25 to go 300 miles @ 24mpg.
    With Lucas fuel additive your getting 37.2 more miles to 12.5 gallons.
    That 37.2 miles is costing you $7.00
    $7.00 at $3.54 a gallon will get you 1.9 gallons.
    1.9 gallons will get you 45.6 miles @ 24 mpg

If you were to spend that $7.00 of fuel you would go 45.6 miles as opposed to only 37.2 miles using the additive.

So using Lucas fuel additive in your case is not cost effective.

I know the fuel prices where you live are not what they are here. However the current national average is $3.61 for regular unleaded gasoline. Even at $3.61 its still not cost effective.
    Last edited by TAMPA; 06-18-2013, 12:25 AM.

Comment

so can anyone explain how i have a healthy auto and i only get about 26 mpg on average?
      visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
        so can anyone explain how i have a healthy auto and i only get about 26 mpg on average?
        Your foots in and out on the throttle too much. I noticed it and so did our friend h311ra151n. Maybe its just here because you dont know the area very well. But we noticed you go in and out of lockup more than you should. Im saying this as a friend and because you asked.

The topic came about yesterday when he was welding my exhaust on my truck. I mentioned this thread, mpgs people were getting, his and mine and he mentioned you get 26. I asked why and he said if you had a steadier foot you would see 30s he thinks.

He only gets low 30s from his auto though. So not tons to be gained for you really. Maybe 5-6 mpg. Thats still some though.

You also have a stuttering problem on take offs from lights and stop signs. Something isnt quite right with your engine. And thats evidence of it not being completely healthy.
        Last edited by TAMPA; 06-18-2013, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMPA View Post
          Your foots in and out on the throttle too much. I noticed it and so did our friend h311ra151n. Maybe its just here because you dont know the area very well. But we noticed you go in and out of lockup more than you should. Im saying this as a friend and because you asked.

The topic came about yesterday when he was welding my exhaust on my truck. I mentioned this thread, mpgs people were getting, his and mine and he mentioned you get 26. I asked why and he said if you had a steadier foot you would see 30s he thinks.

He only gets low 30s from his auto though. So not tons to be gained for you really. Maybe 5-6 mpg. Thats still some though.

You also have a stuttering problem on take offs from lights and stop signs. Something isnt quite right with your engine. And thats evidence of it not being completely healthy.
          is that why? i never thought i did that. so if i go lighter on the gas then i should get better mileage? must be the city then because i used to have a light foot. i will try that from now on.

that sputter in my engine is the clogged EGR. i dont think it affects mpg`s as it hasent gotton worse since it started. i could clean it out but im going to just get a new intake mani.
          visit vgruk

Comment

is that why? i never thought i did that. so if i go lighter on the gas then i should get better mileage? must be the city then because i used to have a light foot. i will try that from now on.

that sputter in my engine is the clogged EGR. i dont think it affects mpg`s as it hasent gotton worse since it started. i could clean it out but im going to just get a new intake mani.
            Most people dont realize it when they do. I dont have a really steady foot either so your not alone. But I have manuals so its not as bad. Its a bad habit I got from living in Cali where its bumper to bumper traffic at 80mph all the time.

The clogged EGR system is for sure effecting your mileage. Its been clogged for the last 200,000 miles most likely. Thats why you have not noticed it get any worse.

Comment

Most people dont realize it when they do. I dont have a really steady foot either so your not alone. But I have manuals so its not as bad. Its a bad habit I got from living in Cali where its bumper to bumper traffic at 80mph all the time.

The clogged EGR system is for sure effecting your mileage. Its been clogged for the last 200,000 miles most likely. Thats why you have not noticed it get any worse.
              but it just started sputtering

im going to work on the heavy foot. slow takeoffs and easy accel.
              visit vgruk

Comment

h311ra151n just texted me. He said for me to quit picking his brain when i come over to his shop and posting it here on the forums. He said im starting to sound to much like him. I bet he will see this too, Fuck you h311ra151n! Just playin

Comment

h311ra151n just texted me. He said for me to quit picking his brain when i come over to his shop and posting it here on the forums. He said im starting to sound to much like him. I bet he will see this too, Fuck you h311ra151n! Just playin
                  that is funny shit! i just msg him on f book
                  visit vgruk

Comment

so why did the sputtering just start?
                    visit vgruk

Comment

I dont know.

But hesitation on take offs like you have can be traced back to a clogged egr system. id try cleaning it and see what that does. You know it needs it anyways.

Comment

yea and its gonna be a bitch to clean
                        visit vgruk

Comment

That's actually pretty good for an auto. They are not as efficient. I will never own a torque converter for this reason. Maybe dct but not likely. My girlfiends 1996 with f22 gets about 26 mostly highway.
                          Edit* forgot to mention her car is auto
                          Last edited by cb7 calling; 06-18-2013, 05:32 PM.
                          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
                            That's actually pretty good for an auto. They are not as efficient. I will never own a torque converter for this reason. Maybe dct but not likely. My girlfiends 1996 with f22 gets about 26 mostly highway.
                            Its not bad, but its not necessary either. The auto makes it hard but its still possible to get better than 26. There are members on here getting better than 26 with autos.

Comment

Working...
                            X