Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Trunk struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk struts

Our cars have the hinges with springs, which really isn't a great set up, and it's easy for the trunk to blow shut or accidentally be knocked shut.

CD5's use struts with their trunk hinges.

I got a CD5 trunk hinge & strut at the wreckers last week and tried to adapt the strut to work with the trunk. However, I failed at finding a position to mount the strut in that would work.

Has anyone installed struts or some sort of other system on our trunks the way many of us have been retrofitting Legend struts to our hoods?

Good question mikey. I have been wondering this myself, I'd like to do this then get my trunk working off the keyless entry.

O hey did you get your hood struts replaced? Didn't they give out on you?

Comment

They seemed iffy at first, but have been working flawlessly lately.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
        They seemed iffy at first, but have been working flawlessly lately.
        How do you have time to do any work when your always thinking of ways to work on your CB?
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

If your CB doesn't have a spoiler, fit the Spoiler option springs to it.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
            If your CB doesn't have a spoiler, fit the Spoiler option springs to it.
            He's got a Jetta Flushmount on his trunk.. Apparently it's really heavy. (relatively that is..)
            Originally posted by deevergote
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

The VW flushmount I have is the foam style, and the thing probably weighs damn near 10lbs. It must weigh twice what a CB OEM spoiler does. It's like a giant weight on my trunk lid. It even takes some extra effort to open my trunk.

I used to have a VW flushmount that was the plastic version on my SE, and I had no issues with my trunk staying open with that because it was lighter, or as light as an OEM spoiler. My SE did not have an OEM spoiler, so it only had the regular springs which I have now. I hate the foam style one too, because it's all warped and shitty, as you can see in the pic.

I don't want to add OEM trunk springs. My intent is to add struts just for something different, because I haven't see anyone do it.

It would be possible to modify the CD5 hinges to work, but that will take some bodywork & modification to make it work, which at this point I am not willing to tackle yet.

Plastic style:

Last edited by crazymikey; 04-14-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

I put struts on my trunk. I spent a lot of time doing it too. Unfortunately, the way our trunks are hinged, they aren't easily compatible with struts. The problem I had was when the trunk was shut, the struts were still applying pressure to the hinges and the front corners stuck up and it was all out of whack. Long story short, the ball mounts are still welded in there, but I pulled the struts out and put the torsion rods back in. I used struts and mounts that I salvaged from a Mazda 3 decklid. They use the scissor style hinges which mount in the decklid gutter outside the weatherstrip, and are too tall to mount to the accord.

Not saying it can't be done, just saying that I tried it, didn't like my results, and didn't feel like spending anymore time trying to figure it out.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Our cars have the hinges with springs, which really isn't a great set up, and it's easy for the trunk to blow shut or accidentally be knocked shut.
                  Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
                  He's got a Jetta Flushmount on his trunk.. Apparently it's really heavy. (relatively that is..)
                  Oh, I didn't see that in the original post.
                  Good thing the OP stated that he needed stronger springs due to his heavy Non-OEM spoiler

The VW flushmount I have is the foam style, and the thing probably weighs damn near 10lbs. It must weigh twice what a CB OEM spoiler does. It's like a giant weight on my trunk lid. It even takes some extra effort to open my trunk.
                  Take it off, Problem solved.

I don't want to add OEM trunk springs. My intent is to add struts just for something different, because I haven't see anyone do it.
                  Oh now I understand.
                  You don't actually not want springs because "
                  " You want struts because you want to be different.

I'm not taking the piss, I'm just showing you the basis of this thread.

If you want trunk struts, you will need to source some from another vehicle.
                  It really isn't that hard to setup either, just make sure you use low pressure struts - Most likely candidate is some 20 year old ones that have lost their pressure, Like some out of a legend that can no longer hold the hood up, in conjunction with the original CB springs.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

It seems like I would need to completely remove the existing hinges and adapt new scissor style ones like the CD5. However, they would require modification to mount.

I think my issue using the CD5 strut was that it was too short. It was strong enough to open and close the trunk, but was too short to pivot all the way with the hinge and would bind and not close the trunk all the way, leaving it half open. However, it would open the trunk and support it's weight no problem.

Perhaps I could test fit one of the Legend struts and see if I can use a longer strut that will give enough travel and pivot to close the trunk.

I would love to adapt CD5 scissor style hinges to the trunk as an ideal outcome. In the end I could work something out, but it's definetly time consuming, and not really a project I'd care to devote a lot of time to for something that doesn't get used that often.
                    Last edited by crazymikey; 04-15-2012, 12:23 AM.

Comment

It seems like I would need to completely remove the existing hinges and adapt new scissor style ones like the CD5. However, they would require modification to mount.

I think my issue using the CD5 strut was that it was too short. It was strong enough to open and close the trunk, but was too short to pivot all the way with the hinge and would bind and not close the trunk all the way, leaving it half open. However, it would open the trunk and support it's weight no problem.

Perhaps I could test fit one of the Legend struts and see if I can use a longer strut that will give enough travel and pivot to close the trunk.

I would love to adapt CD5 scissor style hinges to the trunk as an ideal outcome. In the end I could work something out, but it's definetly time consuming, and not really a project I'd care to devote a lot of time to for something that doesn't get used that often.
                      I always hated the Honda boot strut design simply because it means opening the boot entirely by hand the whole way.
                      That is - Is doesn't really have a "Spring" point of balance, it always seemed to need help to do anything.

Either way, you could adapt struts to the circular "D" shaped hinges fairly easily.
                      It's not really that complicated, you just need to figure out the strut stroke vs pressure ratio required.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Not necessarily that, but mounting locations inside the trunk. When I test fitted the CD5 strut (measures 7.5" closed, 13.5" fully extended), I attached one end to the hinge, but I couldn't find a place inside the trunk to mount the strut that would allow it to pivot enough with the hinge when closed, which obviously means the strut I'm trying to use is too short for what I want it to do.

And yes, the hinge design is really stupid, not to mention the hinges do take up a lot of space when closed, since they hang right down into the usable space.

Comment

Not necessarily that, but mounting locations inside the trunk. When I test fitted the CD5 strut (measures 7.5" closed, 13.5" fully extended), I attached one end to the hinge, but I couldn't find a place inside the trunk to mount the strut that would allow it to pivot enough with the hinge when closed, which obviously means the strut I'm trying to use is too short for what I want it to do.

And yes, the hinge design is really stupid, not to mention the hinges do take up a lot of space when closed, since they hang right down into the usable space.
                          That depends how/where you mounted the pivot point.
                          Use a piece of string to start , that will give you an approximate length needed to mount 2 points.
                          Fold the back seat down and close the boot, then figure out the closed length.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Yeah, I spent about 2 hours farting about with it using a tape measure and stuff. I got frustrated and left it for another day.

Comment

There's this guy with in Accord that has been screwing around with some gas lift supports that he bought for his hood that were the wrong one. he found the fulcrum point on the hinge arm and has mounted them to their and the floor. He said that starting to lift or starting to close is pretty strong but there is a center point where it gets easy here's a link to his Instagram page https://www.instagram.com/p/B5isRjEH..._web_copy_link

Comment

Working...
                              X