Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Herroh cb7tuner. Im new afff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accrdwgnguy im planning on taking it to someone for an ecu tune, i just want to adjust as much of the "mechanical" tuning myself as best i can to save myself the money on labor. Thats why we're going to swap on some stock injectors for the time being, try to get the idle right, and then take it to the shop and have them tune it for the bigger injectors. Am i far off?

Comment

I would put the stock injectors in (345cc IIRC) and take it for the tune with those in. Your tuner will be able to advise you if the larger injectors are needed in the course of tuning.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Will do, I think the injectors my buddy had that he was just gonna give me are like 270cc so ill have to check on that but thanks for your contribution sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
          Mike, how is an H-series head on an H-series block a "frank"? Don't you have to do some inter-series mating to make it so?
          If you're combining two engines, it's a frankenstein.

The H23A1 block is not equipped with oil squirters, so if you attempt to rev to H22A RPMs to take advantage of that head, you'll run the risk of overheating the pistons (which will lead to premature failure... cracked pistons, broken ringlands, etc...) The H23A1 internals aren't meant to be revved very high anyway. Additionally, the H23A1 internals will result in a lower compression ratio. So basically, what is gained from the increase in displacement is lost in the decrease in compression.
          Not to mention, a frank is often built by an amateur... and that alone introduces a host of potential problems! ESPECIALLY if someone else did it, because you don't know exactly what was done, nor do you have the experience to recognize or diagnose a potential problem before it becomes... well... boom.

As for the gutted intake manifold... I have never seen any conclusive evidence supporting such a claim. All a gutted manifold does is stuff a bunch of turbulent air into a huge plenum that just dumps into the head when the valves open. A high velocity stream of air would create a much better air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber (which is why such things as velocity stacks, IAB system, and long cold air intake tubes are effective.)

Comment

So what if we set the rev limit to the stock h23 standards and dropped the vtec engagement? I'm just spit ballin based on what my buddy and I talked about.

Comment

You could do that... but the VTEC crossover point can only be dropped so low before it becomes a "dead spot" in the powerband. Especially with those upgraded cams. The H23A1's lower compression ratio will likely exaggerate that dead spot even more. Keeping the RPM low would make performance less impressive, but it'd be better for reliability than revving the shit out of the bottom end, for sure!

In all, it's not a bad engine, I guess... but I wouldn't want one myself unless the oil squirters were added, the rod bolts were upgraded to ARP units (and possibly upgraded bearings, though I've heard of many "race" bearings failing long before stock ones... it's something I'd need to research more thoroughly), and higher compression pistons to regain some lost power. I've read that H22A Type S pistons will work without valve clearance issues, but I have no solid data to confirm it. I'd have to research that further as well.

Clearly, I haven't looked much into this swap, other than the reasons NOT to do it!

Also, if you have a stock ECU running this hybrid engine with Stage 2 cams and 450cc injectors... that could cause some serious issues! If that's the case, I'm amazed it even runs!

Comment

I've got a programmable ecu but it hasn't been tuned yet, in the mean time I'm just trying to address the things I can so that the tuner might not have to do as much work and save me a little money. But I definitely appreciate all the input you've given me. Like I said I'm still pretty new to the game and I'd like to be able to try to work with it before I scrap the whole idea and start with a different motor, if nothing else for the learning experience

Comment

As long as it's not your primary vehicle, then it'll at least be a fun toy until it blows. Just do things smart, and learn from whatever mistakes you make. Hopefully we can keep you from making any serious ones! (like running it without a tuned ECU... seriously, that can really mess things up!)

At least when it blows, the cams will likely still be usable! Look into doing a full H22 in the future.

Comment

I'm constantly looking into different things. Haha, if I decide to start with a new motor I'm kind of leaning towards an f20b for the sleeves but I'm still not sure. Getting the h22 short block would probably be a lot easier on my wallet.

Comment

FRM sleeves are superior to iron sleeves in many ways. They just aren't compatible with as many aftermarket pistons, and they aren't as easy to hone as iron. Still, with the proper pistons (such as Mahle Gold Series pistons), you can throw just as much power at FRM sleeves as you can stock iron sleeves, if not more. By the time you've reached the limits of the sleeves, you'd need to resleeve anyway... and that will cost the same regardless of which engine you use.

Comment

Huh, well thanks. I guess this is where I humble myself and be mindful of how much there is that I've still yet to learn. But in the mean time I've got plenty to work on with the car to keep me busy, the interior harness needs some attention as does most of the weather sealing and exterior. Ill keep you guys posted! Thanks for the advice deev

Comment

No problem. I have a ton that I need to learn myself. I'm far from an expert!

Comment

Lets see the wagon, or gtfo. We're all more interested in the wagon.

Comment

It looks just like any other stock accord wagon, except the clear coat is flaking. I got it this week haha. Its really nothing to look at. I get there are cool wagons out there... Sadly, this is not one of those wagons. Not yet at least. lol.

Comment

That would be okay but with the gutted intake you wont have much low end power. Plus i dont think you will be getting full use out of your cams since the h22 revs are higher.

Comment

Working...
                                X