Does anyone have an Invader style hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have an Invader style hood?

Does anyone have, or know of an inactive member who has an Invader style carbon fiber hood for our cars? I'm thinking that I may need to use that style of hood to fit the J-series engine, depending on how and far back I'm able to go with the engine mounts.

I'd like to get some measurements on it such as:

width of vent opening at front
    distance from back of hood to front edge of vent along centerline
    width of vent at furthest point back on the hood before it flattens out

If anyone could provide any help, that would be great! I know it's a long shot, though.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

The vent is right above the radiator IIRC. I had one. The J series would sit behind the vent. I can try to dig up some pics

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

chiaboi_AcCorD member's ride thread sold it in 2006

AkkordLayinKit member's ride thread photobucket link issue, but it's easy to find photos.

Comment

A local friend has one, I've been contemplating picking it up.
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
          The vent is right above the radiator IIRC. I had one. The J series would sit behind the vent. I can try to dig up some pics
          Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
          chiaboi_AcCorD member's ride thread sold it in 2006

AkkordLayinKit member's ride thread photobucket link issue, but it's easy to find photos.

The pictures are easy to find. I want measurements to see if this is a better option for hood cutting.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            The pictures are easy to find. I want measurements to see if this is a better option for hood cutting.
            I highly doubt it. It's a $700 hood that would you need to cut... why not just cut a stock hood and build it up to look better? Seems like you would still need to do extra work if you cut up an invader hood and you would now be messing with carbon fiber or fiberglass. good luck.

Comment

The image above is the look I'm discussing. As you can see on the Civic, it fits fairly well, with the obvious exception of where they cut near the rear of the manifold. Of course the dimensions of the Civic hood are different, as are possibly the location and proportion of the rear-facing scoop. In addition, where the axles are centered in the wheel wells will place the J-series engine differently in the Accord bay than it might the Civic bay. This is why I was asking for dimensions. I know the dimensions of the J-series engine, as well as any dimension on the car. Once I've centered the engine in the bay such that the differential is dead on the center of the wheel opening, then the dimensions of the hood become useful information.

So far there hasn't been a CB (of the 3 I've seen) use a J-series engine and avoid cutting the hood. I have a J37A4 intake manifold, so that puts me at about 3/4 of an inch lower than anyone else. Also, I will be making new mount brackets to locate the engine further back than the ones I've seen. This, alone, may allow me avoid cutting my OEM-style carbon fiber hood. However, if I am unable to avoid that, the Invader style seemed the better option than a cut OEM hood.

Comment

if you end up being unable to find somebody who can give you measurements, here's a trick I like to use to get measurements from internet pictures: find a clear, ideally overhead, shot of the item in question. Use the "measure" tool in photoshop or Gimp to measure one or two of the dimensions in terms of "pixels" and then set up a ratio to correlate those pixels to actual inch measurements in real life against something you CAN measure yourself. Then with the known ratio, you can "measure" anything on the internet graphic and translate them to actual sizes. It isn't perfectly accurate, but if you're careful, it ends up being surprisingly close! If you start with the basic width and length of an OEM CB hood, and correlate that to a similar picture of an Invader hood, you could extrapolate just about any measurement you want regarding the scoop location. It gets a little funky when the item is pictured from a perspective, but in those cases you can take more measurements and average them together.

edit: for example:

Last edited by cp[mike]; 12-14-2017, 01:09 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks, Mike! A lot of my job entails using Bluebeam to do quantity takeoffs from roadway plans, so I am familiar with doing a proportional take off from an image. However, I did not know how to do it based on pixel count in Photoshop. That's pretty cool! The available pictures of a straight ahead image might be limited, but I will see what I can find now. The one you did looks great!
                  Last edited by Jarrett; 12-14-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                    A local friend has one, I've been contemplating picking it up.
                    Wait you're still alive?

02 Crv
                    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Sorry for my trash picture. I'm sure I can find others but they may be buried in my hard drive.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                        Wait you're still alive?
                        Was wondering the same about you.
                        Originally posted by Mishakol129
                        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                          Was wondering the same about you.
                          Just barely, I pm'd you my new number.

02 Crv
                          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Working...
                          X