Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone ever tried Durafix Aluminum Welding Rods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just going to make a thread about this.... lol

I've tried welding aluminum but failed because I obvioulsy don't have the proper equipment but they make it look really easy in the vid.

So I am seriously thinking about getting their rods to do the following
    1.connect my intercooler piping this way and ditch all my couplers
    2.make an aluminum exhaust from resonator-back (for weight saving reasons)

Will it hold up?

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
      just wondering if they're as good as the video says they are.

later.
      This is an awesome thread. Has anyone priced the aluminum welding rods? this was very informative. Thanks.
      600HP" 1990 ACCORD LX COUPE COMING SOON

CLICK HERE TO VIEW MY 1990 CB7

Comment

welding aluminum isnt as easy as you would think. im certified mig,tig,and arc. alot of stuff you tig weld is just brazed. like tig welding copper

Comment

http://durafix.com/#order

Comment

I got the rods and tried this on intercooler piping just 30 minutes ago.
            It is not as easy as it looks in that video. Actually it didn't work at all for intercooler piping. I sat there heating one spot for 30 minutes and it didnt get hot enough to melt the rod on it like it is shown in that video.
            Maybe this requires some rediculously powerful torch?

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
              I got the rods and tried this on intercooler piping just 30 minutes ago.
              It is not as easy as it looks in that video. Actually it didn't work at all for intercooler piping. I sat there heating one spot for 30 minutes and it didnt get hot enough to melt the rod on it like it is shown in that video.
              Maybe this requires some rediculously powerful torch?
              what kind of torch do you have? also, did you scratch/rub the rob on the metal? it says you have to scrape off the layer of aluminum oxide to get the rod to flow. later.
              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                what kind of torch do you have? also, did you scratch/rub the rob on the metal? it says you have to scrape off the layer of aluminum oxide to get the rod to flow. later.
                Bernzomatic propane torch. It says in the specs that the flame temperature in air is 3500 degrees so I thought that would be enough.

I scratched the rod on the alum pipe and pressed pretty hard. I just tried again and the rod DID melt when I had the flame very close to it. BUT the melting process didn't look the way it does in that video. It doesn't flow at all and doesn't really bond to aluminum. It was super frustrating.
                On Monday I am going to try finding a more powerful torch and scrape the aluminum pipe with a brush for like 5 minutes and try again. I will let you know how it works out.

Comment

i am using this stuff to build a few things. It requires ALOT of heat. I filled a small hole in my Valve cover but it took forever to heat using MAPP gas. with an oxy/acy torch it goes pretty fast.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                  member ride thread
                  11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                  DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                  People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                  I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                  John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

Working...
                  X