EXT: Side Mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Side Mirrors

this job is fairly simple, but i Dont have any pictures. You will only need a phillips skrew driver, either needle nose NON GRIP plyers (i used jewelry angle plyers) and maybe some black tape.

First thing is under the side mirror about in the middle is a hidden phillips skrew. (I think it's a #2, cause #3 didn't fit) Both the mirrors i did had lock tight on the skrews (or maybe rust) so be careful NOT to stip that thing. This will make it so that the mirror can come out. it will dangle by the wire which is no big deal. Next I would move the mirror as far down and to the right as possible with the controls. Then flip the mirror over and in the middle of the mirror you will see a tab with a pin in it, take that little pit out. I dont know if this hurts it or not but i just pulled and it came out. Now on the motor 2 boots will stay on their you'll want to take those off, but they are like welded to a piece of plastic so DONT RIP the BOOT just pop off the plastic part it's attached too. I did it with my hands and it's not that hard. Put those 2 boots on the new mirror and thread the new mirror on by firmly pressing the mirror and using the up and left controls (one at a time) to get it started. Once you get it started clip in the 2 boots. Now the hardest part of the WHOLE project..

I had to have 2 plyers to do this i pulled the tab up as far as i could (since i had angled plyers I used it like a pry bar) then with the other plyers i put the pin in and let go.

Now put the phillps skrew back in a few threads so that the mirror holder thing doesn't go no were and is still movable so you can slide the mirror into place. Do that then tighten up the skrew.

now move the mirror in all 4 extremes then set it were you want it.

The next order of the 2 steps are debatable but mine were drive the car a small distance to make sure it was right hten grab me a cold one. That's it. Just be patient and careful and it will look good.
    WTB:
    88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
    OR
    90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

very helpful despite not having pictures. perhaps i will take some and post this evening
    90 LX (R.I.P.) http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=137301
    91 EX (DD) http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=142483

Comment

what's this DIY on about? taking off the mirrors and replacing it?

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
      2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
        -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
          x2 what is the purpose. what is the job/task you are fulfilling
          frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by cali-racer View Post
              x2 im as clueless as everyone else lol

Comment

i am so confused. please elaborate.

Soon to have the first *Bottle Fed Accord* in MI!

Vouch For: fatboy1185

Comment

I'm confused on why the hell a 4 year old thread was bumped for no reason.

1999 BMW M3
                  2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                  2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                  2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by vietkid_2006 View Post
                    Originally posted by cali-racer View Post
                    Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
                    x2 what is the purpose. what is the job/task you are fulfilling
                    Originally posted by ProJect View Post
                    Originally posted by RiKan_BoY86 View Post
                    x2 im as clueless as everyone else lol
                    Originally posted by Pazzword JDM View Post
                    i am so confused. please elaborate.
                    Removal instructions, in case the motor which angles the mirror goes bad. The OP mentioned it, indirectly. It also answers possible questions one may encounter while disassembling a mirror.

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                    My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

My ride History:
                      Accord 90 lx auto: Gone
                      Accord 91 dx MT: Gone
                      Accord 92 lx auto: Gone
                      -----------------------------------
                      1st to D.I.Y custom RED/CLEAR's

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                        because it was helpful. as i said. i've just been too lazy to go fix the mirror and take pictures to post. its a DIY for changing the glass in the side mirrors rather than replacing the entire mirror.

Comment

I originally stole this DIY from immeraufdemhund and rewrote it.

Tools:
                          Phillips Screwdriver
                          Needle nose pliers
                          one of those extendable magnets

Red is the clips holding in the motor assembly
                          is the hidden screw holding the bottom clip
                          yellow is the plastic part that attaches to the motors

First thing is under the side mirror about in the middle is a hidden phillips skrew.
                          (I think it's a #2, cause #3 didn't fit) 2 of the 3 mirrors i messed with came out easy. one screw was a bitch and i nearly stripped it completely. be careful NOT to strip that thing. you may want to use penetrating oil. The screw may fall into the mirror assembly but don't worry. This will make it so that the mirror can come out. Next I would move the mirror as far up and to the left as possible with the controls or your hand. you should be able to see the clip now. Grab the mirror and pop it out of the bottom clip.

Then flip the mirror over and in the middle of the mirror you will see a tab with a pin in it, take that little pit out.

i used a pair of pliers to pull up the tab and a magnet to pull out the pin. probably alot easier if you have someone to hold the mirror while pulling the pin.

now there's two white plastic "screws" attached to the mirror and to the motor assembly. grab some needle nose and and pop the ball out of the mirrorside hole. pay attention to the notch.
                          here's the two pieces separated

notice the notch on the balls? ^^^

Grab the new mirror and use the pliers to pop the plastic balls back into place. the tab will be sticking out of the back of the assembly. This part was a pain in the ass. i used a small set of pliers to pull up the tab with one hand and used the other hand to both hold down the assembly and slide the pin back into place. your mirror should be back together and hanging by the wire.

make sure the bottom clip is in place and screw in the "hidden" screw a few threads, enough to keep the clip in place but still let it move a bit. slide the top of the mirror into the non-movable clips at the top first. then pop in the bottom. i was afraid of breaking the glass but it popped in pretty easy. if you're unsure, look between the mirror's edge and the housing and you should see the clip. if it's not in place pull the mirror out and readjust.

The next order of the 2 steps are debatable but mine were adjust the mirror in every extreme and way. then grab a cold one and call it a day.

Comment

Working...
                          X