INT: Automatic transmission Shift Boot *56K DIE!!!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Automatic transmission Shift Boot *56K DIE!!!*

Taking a break from studying, so I got another DIY for you all. This one in particular is for those reppin' the automatic transmissions!

Want a more luxurious look? that automatic shifter lookin' a little bare? This DIY is intended to dress up your car's interior, namely the shift knob. Some automatic cars and even some newer luxury models are starting to bring this style into the mix, I've personally seen in on Volvo, my friend's grand am, and on some BMWs.

Volvo S40, 2002

yeah, so we're gonna do that.

Again with the disclaimers, i'm not responsible for damage, blah blah, this shouldn't be a risky procedure but please be sure to not mess you or your car up in the process.

LET'S DO THIS!

Tools Needed
    - Phillips Head Screwdriver
    - Hands and Fingers
    ^really? is that all I used?

Items Needed
    - A Shift Boot
    ^wow. this is an easy DIY, haha

Step 1) remove your center console. there are 4 screws, the two in the front of the console, and two in the back, near the e-brake

Step 2) remove the 4 gold screws holding down the shift plate/gear indicator/whatnot

Step 3) Remove the shift knob

Step 4) Remove the LED that goes into the shift plate

OPTIONAL THING TO DO:

at this point, if you look at the shift plate, you will notice that there are some more screws, these ones holding the letter plate in. you can take this off, and spraypaint/polish the matte black surrounding plastic plate, you can also polish the letter plate. reassemble when done.

Step 5) Remove the plastic sliding track thing from the letter plate

Step 6) While you're there, clean up the area some. Otherwise your boot is gonna get all grimey in places where you're not gonna see anyways, haha

Step 7) Insert your shift boot into the shift plate, with the letter plate reinstalled.

Step 8) reinstall the shift plate onto your car. Remember to reinstall the LED, and when you screw down the 4 screws, make sure they're pinching down the shift boot, so it stays and doesn't come out.

Step 9) Before you reinstall the center console, reinstall your shift knob, so you can test it out. make sure you can go from park to 1st gear without stressing the material, and make sure it looks GOOD while doing it. the shift boot that i'm using in this tutorial (i've since changed it to a different shift boot) was fickle, and I had to mess with how it creased in certain places to get it to shift how i wanted it to, and look good. so just test and test to get it to your liking. don't skimp out on this step, because it's frustrating to have to take off the center console to tweak something tiny that you could've done now.

Step 10) reinstall your center console, and your shift knob! (PS: I used a 90-91 shift knob, because i like extra buttons, and it looked better than that blank 92-93 shift knob ;D)

Step 11) STAND BACK AND ADMIRE YOUR DRESSED UP AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!

I painted the surrounding plate silver, to get a more luxurious, chrometastic look.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Alright all, back to studying. Hope you enjoy this simple DIY! it really looks great.

Here's my current set-up, for those who might be wondering. a little saturated in light, but you get the idea. SHINE!

and yeah, that's cardboard spraypainted black to cover up the gaping hole where a stereo system used to be, haha. car thieves suck! I've been using portable speakers powered by 4 AAA batteries for a year now hahaha, it's actually pretty fun to see people's reactions when i whip out my "deck," and i unfold my speakers and plug in my music player, hehehe.

REP THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!
    Last edited by P5ylance; 03-19-2010, 03:07 AM.
    blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Wow...this is quite the interesting thread, lol. Where do i begin?

on the DIY, although there is one where you use an OEM boot(or one of your choice) and it covers the entire shift plate, so you cant see the letters. We all know the gears, so we dont need to see them.

However, something about this does look a little...different. It doesnt look bad, lol. Not sure im feeling it though, but it's a good job nonetheless.

I love the carbdoard "radio". I saw that and chuckled a little, lol. I'll see if i can find either that other DIY or pics of autos with full boots.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Here ya go, in case you wanted a few more ideas.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...tic+shift+boot

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=68218

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

those other ones where intended to look like the car was stick shift, this one is more of a luxurious look in a way.

great DIY

Originally posted by visualpoet
        some owners think it's the best thing since titties

Comment

The short shifter one was meant to look like a stick, but the other shift boot thread was meant just to look nice, like the OP.

Id like to cut down the shaft, but retain the OEM shift handle, then put a boot on. Kinda like the new trailblazers...

Comment

it looks like a copy of the grand am.
            "Self Renewed"

Comment

That too, lol. GM had a thing awhile back and it's still around in some of their cars now. The new Malibus have autos with a boot. Nothing wrong with it, you just need to cut down the shift shaft so it's not so tall or doesnt stretch the boot.

Comment

wow dude, 5 star DIY. That looks fantastic. I would do this if I wasnt swapping to a 5 speed. Great idea and well done.

Comment

Very unique.

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
                  I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

haha thanks all for the good looks, appreciate it! that trailblazer's setup looks HELLLLA NICE. autos with boots are pretty clean, i love it.

@crazymikey: haha doesn't mean you can't still do it ;D

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                      Wow...this is quite the interesting thread, lol. Where do i begin?

on the DIY, although there is one where you use an OEM boot(or one of your choice) and it covers the entire shift plate, so you cant see the letters. We all know the gears, so we dont need to see them.

However, something about this does look a little...different. It doesnt look bad, lol. Not sure im feeling it though, but it's a good job nonetheless.

I love the carbdoard "radio". I saw that and chuckled a little, lol. I'll see if i can find either that other DIY or pics of autos with full boots.
                      hehe i was thinkin about pulling off the oem leather boot, but i could never figure out how to remove the shift knob to get to it, so i said "fuck it, i'm makin' my own" lol

hahaha thanks on the compliment for the radio i'm still waiting for my brother to let me get at his pioneer deck, but in the meantime i'm usin' portable speakers... but what you said got me thinkin' ;D hahahaha i think imma really make a cardboard in-dash stereo unit! lol i'm bouta head to target tomorrow and see if i can find some speakers and ghetto-rig myself a deck, WITH A UNIVERSAL DOCKING STATION.

hope theres no fire hazard. lol my car catches up in flames cuz i got a cardboard in-dash haha

Comment

Looks Great, might do this like you did. I did it before but covered the whole thing:

Links to my rides :
                        1992 Accord EX*
                        1990 Accord EX
                        1991 Accord SE (4th)
                        1991 Accord SE (3rd)
                        1991 Accord SE (2ND)
                        1991 Accord SE

Comment

Oh I'm def doing this!
                          HondAccordMan-1991 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Click for MRT thread

Comment

looks ok but points for something different
                            UNDERGROUND SOCIETY
                            NEW COUPE MEMBERS RIDE THREAD COMMING SOON

Comment

hondateck2010: haha, you know i didn't try that first because i was afraid those boots wouldn't fit the rectangular shape glad you liked it, post pics if you do this!

hondaaccordman: YEEEE!!!

1990ex: hehe yeah, it is a small visual mod, i mainly did it for anyone still with an automatic because i was tired of seeing that skinny plastic shaft and yearning for a manual lol! and also that automatics don't get any attention, haha. it feels a lot better when i shift now, makes it feel more solid

Comment

Working...
                              X