Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

To ReRing or not when stock rebuilding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To ReRing or not when stock rebuilding?

Sorry for the second thread in two days guys.

While driving to work today my leaking water pump, little hole in the back of engine has had a little dribble has turned into a constant stream and left me on the freeway. I have about 250k miles, speedometer is off so idk real mileage, and want to rebuild it instead of just replacing the timing belt and water pump but I also have plans in the future for building so I hope to just rebuild to get me back on the road for a couple more months. For about 200 dollars I can get new oil/water pumps, gaskets and rering kit or I can spend an extra 120 and get new pistons. I haven't done a compression test on this F22a6 before but I can still do 0-60 in 9s after owning over a year. So is it needed to spend the extra 120 if I plan on replacing them with forged in a couple months?

I would do a compression test to answer that question. The pistons themselves don’t typically fail, it’s the rings that fail. So if your planning on replacing the rings then no need for pistons.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Ring and bearing size??

I do not plan on having anything machined, just a good hand cleaning by me, do I go with standard bearings and rings?

Comment

The correct way to figure that out would be to take it to a shop and ask them to check it. Sometimes over time, they wear and you might need a .025 over
        STD might work just to slap it together though.

Comment

Anytime you remove the head you should get the head or block resurfaced. That way you know you’ll have a good seal with the Headgasket. If there is any kind of warp, you will be fighting a leaking Headgasket all day. If you plan to put new rings on the pistons, you need to get the blocked honed, so the rings have something to grind against and get a proper seal. You can do the honing yourself with the drill attachment, but I usually leave that kind of thing up to the professionals.

As for bearings you need to look at the color codes your block calls for. They are stamped by the oil pan and I’ve never replaced just rings before. I’ve only replaced stock pistons with forged pistons, so I’m assuming standard is fine. Biggest thing with rings is make sure the gaps are offset from each other, or else you may end up with blow by.
          Last edited by Grumpys93; 03-06-2020, 09:23 AM.
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I contacted a reputable machine shop nearby and looks like it’ll have to be something I will need to save up for, for temporary I will be replacing the timing belt and pump and the cover gasket. Any tips for replacing those?

Comment

Just make sure you are at Top Dead Center but, the timing belt & water
              pump are very simple. Just clear your schedule for an entire weekend
              if you haven't done it before. Get yourself a Hayne's Manual & just follow
              the steps. SOHC are very easy timing belt jobs since it is just one cam
              gear to line up & put on the belt. Get a good water pump & timing belt
              kit though. Might get some kickback from others on here but I have used
              a continental timing belt & water pump kit with the tensioners & all
              & still don't have any issues on my F22. (Rockauto)
              Good luck!
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Replace the front main and cam seals while you're in there. Do a valve lash check afterward.
                My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Like everyone else has said, it's just too much work to go in there without redoing rings as well.

How much did the machine shop say? Did they give you other avenues? Is there a competitor you can also get a quote from?
                  '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                  If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Working...
                  X