Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why ps pump, alt and ac pulley belts cause car to vibrate?Harmonic Balancer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature definitely effects how our cars run.

Did you ever end up pulling the covers to inspect the balance belt?

I would think maybe if it was hotter than rubber would be more flexible
    compared to if it was 32 degrees making the rubber stiffer.

Not to sure about your two thesis statements though.
    Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
      Temperature definitely effects how our cars run.

Did you ever end up pulling the covers to inspect the balance belt?

I would think maybe if it was hotter than rubber would be more flexible
      compared to if it was 32 degrees making the rubber stiffer.

Not to sure about your two thesis statements though.
      I have not checked balance belt yet. I just got my new pulley and woodruff key. Will be doing it next week. Makes me a bit nervous reading about all the people who afterwards had the crank pulley bolt come off or they sheared it off putting it on. Also not to mention making sure i set the belts right as i have never messed with timing belt. AM looking forward to it in a way. I read that the timing procedure to be used is from 94-97 accord per Honda's update. Which i think the only difference is turning timing belt 3 teeth and not 2 turns. IS this right?

The rubber stretching while hotter is possible but i would think it would be already cracked. These are only 20 degree temp difference causing a much more volatile shake. Which would point to Crank pulley and be an easy fix. Most solutions to this problem though have not been the crank pulley but the balance belts misaligned.

Heat destroys a battery but how and what tolerances am not sure. Cold just makes the electrons move slower. I have a volt-meter and when above 90 degrees my volts are much less even dropping to 11.0 volts when lights and ac are on. Could be an alternator thing also. I just put back on my exhaust header heat shield but seen no difference afterwards. I was sort of hoping my alt would go so could get a higher amp alt. This one is an overpriced autozone one from 6 years ago.

Some cars do retard and advance timing depending on temp readings. This is obd1 so who knows cause i don't. OBD1 doesn't actually read timing but it can change it by a set number of degrees. OBD2 does know your timing and will set it precisely. Retarded timing could very well cause it to shake more thru the balance belts not being lined up in my amateurish opinion.

No matter i am taking it all off next week. Am confident this dysfunctional vibration will be gone soon.

Comment

Balance shafts were off and i replaced crank pulley also. I can feel a difference. It feels a bit quicker.

Comment

Working...
        X