Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best affordable struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are the Honda parts; you can get aftermarket bushings.

Part number, item in diagram, qty, name:
    90021-SM4-003 015 002 BOLT, SHOCK ABSORBER (10X68)

Rear lower shock bushing:
    52622-SM4-003 036 002 BUSH, RR. SHOCK ABSORBER (LOWER) (HOKUSHIN)

Thread on replacing the rear lower shock bushing: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8980
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-24-2017, 10:39 PM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

If it is siezed i think this job i will pay my honda mechanic to do. He will probably do both sides for 75 dollars.

Comment

I did one side myself. Used my friend's vise, a heavy hammer, a few drill bits and punches (broke two of his punches...), and a hacksaw blade. Took us about 2 hours to swap out one bushing. Never bothered doing the other side. It's a MAJOR pain.

My advice would be to pull the knuckles and take them to a shop that has a hydraulic press. They'll be able to do it in no time. Don't pay a pro to take the parts off your car, as that would be a major waste of money. Removing the parts isn't difficult at all.

Comment

i sort of can't take them off then take to mechanic as i can only work on my car on weekends and he isn't in his shop on saturdays. I also have to drive my car to abandoned lot to work on it. I am going to look at it today and see if i need to redo that bushing. But in all likelihood i will have to take it to mechanic cause previous owners never did any maintenance to car except change oil. The shocks are still the originals i believe.

Comment

You might get lucky. Both of my last '93's the bolts actually broke loose and I was able to remove the shocks. I went into both of them thinking I was cutting the bolts out with a hacksaw. To prevent this in the future, I grease the shaft of the bolt so hopefully water stays out and it won't rust into the bushing. I haven't had an issue with any since.
            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I removed my shocks all around numerous times, with the bolt only sticking after the 4th or 5th time. I've also worked on friends' cars plenty of times where the bolt never got stuck. It's probably more likely now that these cars are getting older, but there's still a good chance the bolts will come right out.

Try it. If it sticks, put everything back together and wait until you can get it to a shop. If the bolt is stuck, it's not going anywhere, so you can't hurt anything by trying!
              Sucks that you don't have a place to take the car apart and leave it. I've always had my driveway, as well as the street in front of my house to work with (I've left the car on stands in the street for a few days without incident.) I tend not to engage in multi-day projects that will leave my car in pieces due to the lack of a garage, but I at least have the luxury of leaving my car secure in an un-moving state for a while (7 years at one point... )

Comment

yeah it sucks not at least having a place where i can leave it overnight not being able to run but it is what it is. I didn't even look at it today. Hopefully it don't rain much tomorrow and i can get to it. My car has no rust on the body and it is the original paint so maybe the rest of the car followed suit.

Comment

Hey honestly neuspeed sport springs and koni yellow adjustables provides a decent drop without a crazy lowered position without sacrificing ride quality.

Comment

Neuspeed or H&R Sport springs with Koni Yellows are definitely my preference (the springs have the same specs... H&R used to make Neuspeed's springs, though someone else makes them now.) Improves handling significantly without making the car ride like a go kart. It also makes the car look sportier, without making you look like a highschool kid that just discovered Initial D.

Comment

Here is my offical review of the kyb strut-plus. Front ones are great and went in very easy and ride great. Overall ride with rear ones rides even better but the rear struts mounting holes are misaligned and you will have to drill holes or compress coil and adjust bracket. Which was more trouble i think than just getting coil and shocks separate to be installed which i ended paying a mechanic to do. This seems a very common problem for rear strut-plus. They ship from Indiana so it is a little hard to believe they fk this up so much. Makes me think it is assembled in mexico and then shipped to indiana. IDK but it ended up costing me alot more to install(160 bucks to mechanic).

Comment

I've had some issues properly aligning lowering springs, but stock replacement stuff should have just bolted right in. I'm surprised to hear that about KYB!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          I've had some issues properly aligning lowering springs, but stock replacement stuff should have just bolted right in. I'm surprised to hear that about KYB!
                          Yeah something going on with some of their strut-plus line but overall i am still happy as i got great long lasting struts and a great ride now. I fly over speed bumps and other stuff now. With new steering rack and outer tie rods with uca's on both sides installed it rides like new almost. Steering wheel is more responsive turning left than right. I wonder why. I might of not torqued something correctly. Which control arm would have that effect? I am going to make a separate post for that issue. Including the extra cost and trouble i would still buy kyb's but for the rears though i would get the coils and shocks separate and pay a mechanic to assemble coils then install the struts myself.

Comment

Incorrect torquing would not cause the steering to be off. Under torquing might lead to a nut falling off or over torquing might strip or break a bolt.

When you have your suspension apart it is a good idea to align it afterwards. It sounds like you might be out of alignment. Without aftermarket parts the only things that are adjustable on our alignments are toe, caster (just a little) and rear camber (just a little). Your's sounds like it could be toe out or in. It's worth getting checked because toe in or toe out will chew up your front tires quickly and cause twitchy handling.
                            Last edited by ukemike; 04-22-2017, 08:42 PM.
                            ==========================
                            1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                            1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                            Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                            Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                            M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                            Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

^that.
                              ALWAYS get an alignment after doing suspension work. Be sure to go to a quality shop, too. Many of the budget tire shops that do alignments have poorly maintained machines and poorly trained employees. Pay a little extra for a good alignment tech. You'll make up the cost in tire life!

And, I'll say it again just because it makes me itch... shocks, not struts. Our cars do not have struts. They are simply shock absorbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X