- Dark Maple Red
    - Bone Stock (sensing a trend yet?...)

ICE

- Bose OEM stereo

Exterior

- Torch Red
    - Yep, Bone Stock!

Future Plans

- Fix the misc issues whilst paying the Corvette tax on parts.

Since the average age of all of my owned vehicles was somewhere around 27 years old, I figured it was time to buy something a bit newer. This time, it's only a decade and a half (almost) old! I've been driving a 1991 Chevrolet Caprice for the last 3 years. Super comfy boat, with only 70k miles, but the thing got about 12mpg around town. So, the logical step of course is to buy a V8 powered sports car that gets double the gas mileage, right?

I picked up this beauty with 38,235 miles on the clock, yesterday. Probably overpaid, and it has a few little quirks that need addressing (most Vettes of this era do...), but I am really enjoying it so far! She's a pretty basic model, but I have no complaints.

Now, the part people actually care about, piktarz! (Sorry for potato iPhone 5s quality).

Last edited by foamypirate; 12-01-2016, 11:07 PM.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Wow, that is very red!

You have the upgraded wheels, sport seats and auto climate. I can't tell if you've got the active handling or HUD. Having a post-01 car you've got the better intake manifold with 350 hp vs my 345. Do you have both tops? I really want a glass one as well for the non-summer months since I find it a bit claustrophobic with the roof on.

The only flaws I know of with these cars is the body control module, gas gauge, HVAC LEDs burning out and the infamous wobbly crank pulley. I had mine replaced twice by a Chevrolet dealership with OEM parts and it's still not 100% true. If I redo it, I'll be going with an ATI.

As far as the popups are concerned, my trouble lied in slop in the mechanism that locks the lights up. The tolerances of the pins are too great, I just never poked harder into why. I also still need to connect up the high beam part of the bi-xenon projector.

If you ever need anything out of the FSM, I have a complete set for a 99 that came with the car.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
      Wow, that is very red!

You have the upgraded wheels, sport seats and auto climate. I can't tell if you've got the active handling or HUD. Having a post-01 car you've got the better intake manifold with 350 hp vs my 345. Do you have both tops? I really want a glass one as well for the non-summer months since I find it a bit claustrophobic with the roof on.

The only flaws I know of with these cars is the body control module, gas gauge, HVAC LEDs burning out and the infamous wobbly crank pulley. I had mine replaced twice by a Chevrolet dealership with OEM parts and it's still not 100% true. If I redo it, I'll be going with an ATI.

As far as the popups are concerned, my trouble lied in slop in the mechanism that locks the lights up. The tolerances of the pins are too great, I just never poked harder into why. I also still need to connect up the high beam part of the bi-xenon projector.

If you ever need anything out of the FSM, I have a complete set for a 99 that came with the car.
      Yeah, it's definitely a lot of red! My wife's only requirement when buying the car was that the color had to be "loud." This one definitely fit the bill, haha.

So far, it looks like I'm good on the BCM and gas gauge, but I do need to pull the HVAC head and resolder the resistors, as I've got the dim display. I've also got quite the squeal/chirp coming from the accessory drive. The harmonic balancer looked OK, so I'm going to tackle the tensioners and idlers and throw on a new belt. If it still squeals, I'll probably do the harmonic balancer (probably Powerbond, supposed to be much better than OEM). Fortunately, I have all the tools to do it from when I LS swapped my 88' GM truck and regasketed the whole thing. Not looking forward to doing it in the small amount of space available in the Vette though! I did the truck power plant on the engine stand.
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
        Yeah, it's definitely a lot of red! My wife's only requirement when buying the car was that the color had to be "loud." This one definitely fit the bill, haha.

So far, it looks like I'm good on the BCM and gas gauge, but I do need to pull the HVAC head and resolder the resistors, as I've got the dim display. I've also got quite the squeal/chirp coming from the accessory drive. The harmonic balancer looked OK, so I'm going to tackle the tensioners and idlers and throw on a new belt. If it still squeals, I'll probably do the harmonic balancer (probably Powerbond, supposed to be much better than OEM). Fortunately, I have all the tools to do it from when I LS swapped my 88' GM truck and regasketed the whole thing. Not looking forward to doing it in the small amount of space available in the Vette though! I did the truck power plant on the engine stand.
        I came across Powerbond in my travels as well. It seems like it's hand in and with ATI as far as which is better. I'm on my 3rd OEM damper and it's still not 100% true. My understanding is that on the MT C5s they balanced the balancer once the motor was together with external weights and once those are lost, you will never get it perfect again.

If you're chirping on startup and it goes away as the car warms up and it's not a squeal, it's either the balancer or a lifter, best I've read. I know the HB in the Vette is a nightmare as you've got to disconnect part of the steering, etc, etc.

The gas gauge issue can be cured with Techron every other fill-up, or at least mine has been according to the last owner.

Comment

I don't know what you paid, but a guy I know paid 20k for a 2002 Z06, pretty much mint. Stick car too.

Honestly I'm not a sports car guy. I hate getting in and out of them. I've driven my friend's S2000, and while a nice car to drive, it's just damn uncomfortable.
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
            I don't know what you paid, but a guy I know paid 20k for a 2002 Z06, pretty much mint. Stick car too.

Honestly I'm not a sports car guy. I hate getting in and out of them. I've driven my friend's S2000, and while a nice car to drive, it's just damn uncomfortable.
            I paid about 17.5k for this one, give or take. There were some cheaper ones, but they all had double the miles and more wear and tear. This one is pretty much mint other than 1 or 2 minor scuffs on the front bumper.

I would've loved an S2000, but I sat in one at an Autoshow when they were still making them new, and I just plain old don't fit in it, at all. The Vette is pretty comfortable, but it is a little tough to get into when I have my Redwing Boots on. With my tennis shoes on, I can get in pretty easy, though.

Comment

Put new tensioners, idlers, and belts on the main accessory drive and the A/C drive, and my belt squeal problem is now resolved. I'm thinking the culprit was the main drive idler. When I pulled off the dust covers, there was grease everywhere. I think the seal failed and it ran itself dry. That, or it was a last ditch attempt by the PO to keep the thing alive. Also got the driver's side head light motor rebuilt. No more grindy grindy when I turn off the lights. Definitely pleased, I was a little self conscious with all the racket it made between the lights and the belt (not that I really should have been, just hate to see an otherwise nice car making noises like an old beater, haha).

Ordered up some 7219 bulbs to replace all the back lights in the HVAC control when I fix the dim display too.

Comment

I paid about 17.5k for this one, give or take. There were some cheaper ones, but they all had double the miles and more wear and tear. This one is pretty much mint other than 1 or 2 minor scuffs on the front bumper.

I would've loved an S2000, but I sat in one at an Autoshow when they were still making them new, and I just plain old don't fit in it, at all. The Vette is pretty comfortable, but it is a little tough to get into when I have my Redwing Boots on. With my tennis shoes on, I can get in pretty easy, though.
                That's not bad @ all. Mine was about 2K less, but I had 73K and wear that was about right for the mileage. Around me 6MT models that weren't red or beige commanded more cash than other models.

I like the size of the Vette once you're situated in it. The car seems to get smaller the longer you drive it. I looked at a 300ZX prior to the Vette and it was TINY inside compared to the C5.

Comment

Very nice upgrade! Do you plan to keep it stock or just some tasteful mods?

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                    Very nice upgrade! Do you plan to keep it stock or just some tasteful mods?
                    Going to keep it mostly stock for now. Definitely no lowering plans, I can barely get the thing into and out of my driveway as it is, haha.

Right now, the only real planned mod is to change out the differential from 2.73 to a 3.15 or 3.42. The 4L60E auto trans has a HUGE ratio difference between 1st and 2nd, and it's exacerbated by the 2.73. Changing the ratio should really wake the car up without any real down sides (minus a small drop in highway fuel mileage, of course).

Comment

Going to keep it mostly stock for now. Definitely no lowering plans, I can barely get the thing into and out of my driveway as it is, haha.

Right now, the only real planned mod is to change out the differential from 2.73 to a 3.15 or 3.42. The 4L60E auto trans has a HUGE ratio difference between 1st and 2nd, and it's exacerbated by the 2.73. Changing the ratio should really wake the car up without any real down sides (minus a small drop in highway fuel mileage, of course).
                      Can you use the MT rear differential? All MTs are the 3.42. I believe you need the performance axle (G92) for the automatic.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                        Can you use the MT rear differential? All MTs are the 3.42. I believe you need the performance axle (G92) for the automatic.
                        Yeah, I thought about going to the 3.15. Technically, I could take it to GM and have them flash the PCM for that, not so for the 3.42. I do, however, already have HPTuners from when I did the LS swap on my truck, so I could scale shift points and TCC lockup appropriately if I put the 3.42 in. They all interchange, physically, I just have to transfer a seal plate from my current diff to the 3.42.

Comment

Learned the hard way about the melting/cracking problem these cars have with the turn signal/DRL housings. Went through a car wash (touchless!), and when I left, I had hyper blinkers...
                          GM put too hot of a bulb in the housings, and over time, they melt and crack. Apparently it happens to all of them. When the cold, high pressure water hits, it gets into the housing, hits the bulb, and the bulb explodes. Hooray!
                          I opted to solve the problem permanently, and bought new housings, and LED turn signal bulbs w/ a hyperflash harness (stops the LEDs from causing hyperflash) from RadioFlyer Innovations.
                          $150 for turn signals, hah.

I also got the dreaded Service Traction/ABS/Active Handling message on the DIC. Didn't end up being too bad to fix. First thing I checked was the common grounds in the engine bay. Cleaned them up and filled them with dielectric grease. No dice on that being the fix, so I pulled the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) off the the BPMV (Brake Pressure Modulator Valve), tapped the hole used to flood the unit with silicone, and used a screw threaded into said hole to push the cover off (thank you CorvetteForum for awesome instructions). The solder joints on the board were horrid. I touched up and re-flowed the solder joints, put everything back together, and it's good as new.
                          Last edited by foamypirate; 02-01-2017, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Interesting. I imagine the same could be done with Silverado EBCM's as those also have a reputation for failing and causing the ABS and brake warnings to light up the dash. Will have to try it with the one off the parts truck.
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                              Interesting. I imagine the same could be done with Silverado EBCM's as those also have a reputation for failing and causing the ABS and brake warnings to light up the dash. Will have to try it with the one off the parts truck.
                              I'd bet you could. I want to say I saw a couple people on CorvetteForum mention doing it on a Tahoe, and even an Impala, if I recall.

Comment

Working...
                              X