SUSP : Rack and Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1991f22a1 View Post
    my inner tie rods need to be replaced. ive got the parts including the bellows but can find any help on how to do it.... do you really need the special tool or can you muster them out with basic hand tools?
    You dont need a special tool... My friend and I just used a flat head and hamered that washer looking lock till we got it flat and then used a 17 open end wrench...

Originally posted by dlatino View Post
    i having trouble taking out one of these bolts off

because it has a nut on the other side like this.

its impossible to fit any wrench in the tiny hole where the nut is
    There isnt a nut behind it. The bolt is probably stripped
    The past, is history:The future, is a mystery:The present, is a gift.
    James 4:7
    Submit yourself to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Comment

Originally posted by fstacrd View Post
      ok quick question! how do i keep my r & p lubricated if all of my lines from the power steering pump are gone? and would the rack and pinion be good for a while without ps? i been driving my cb7 around for almost 2 years with both boots on the rack busted in half, so any suggestions or hints?
      If your lines are gone I would just convert it to manual... you just need to grease up the teeth and the boots. Thats what I did... O and I would just go get some boots at the JY. Hope this helps... Any qs pm me...
      The past, is history:The future, is a mystery:The present, is a gift.
      James 4:7
      Submit yourself to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Comment

Bump. Doing this soon.
        2013 Honda Fit Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic GE8
        2013 Accord Sport Modern Steel Metallic CR2

CB9 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=hostile
        CR2 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197787
        GE8 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199289

Comment

Originally posted by konig52r View Post
          You dont need a special tool... My friend and I just used a flat head and hamered that washer looking lock till we got it flat and then used a 17 open end wrench...

There isnt a nut behind it. The bolt is probably stripped

Actually there's something else, we just took a friends rack and the nut is welded to the crossmember, if the bolt is just spinning that means that the nut welds are no longer holding onto the crossmember and thats the reason why is just spinning.... get yourself another crossmember and pull the old one out. once you have it out along with the Rack & Pinion cut the head of the bolt to get the rack out....

I wouldn't be surprised if thats your case.
          JDM Parts for sale

Comment

Originally posted by dannyd View Post
            Actually there's something else, we just took a friends rack and the nut is welded to the crossmember, if the bolt is just spinning that means that the nut welds are no longer holding onto the crossmember and thats the reason why is just spinning.... get yourself another crossmember and pull the old one out. once you have it out along with the Rack & Pinion cut the head of the bolt to get the rack out....

I wouldn't be surprised if thats your case.
            Yep. When we were working in the drive way, we couldn't see the other side of the rack. It just looked like a stripped bolt -- the bolt just falls out. We thought about tapping a new bolt on, but once we got the car on a shop lift, we clearly saw a nut moving around in the mid crossmember. We got lucky. The loose nut was sitting perfectly center and we gently threaded the bolt by hand, pryed the rack downward and used an impact gun and the car was driven like that temporarily. Unfortunately, the steering rack was failing so we had to undo the bolt, and expected to replace the whole section (Rack&pinion, crossmember) with a junkyard part. That was a crazy situation.

Hopefully your bolt is just stripped. Try prying the rack down while ratcheting (an impact would be best) and then try switching between the two bolts to see how the threads are. Worst case scenario would be the situation I just described - broken weld. Best case scenario is a stripped bolt, rust/wd40 spray or something. goog luck
            Last edited by sin2k5; 03-06-2011, 11:06 AM.

Member's Ride Thread | DMV Summer Meet 2011
            Q: Why is your pants around your ankles? Answer

Comment

It's hard to pull out
              Edit: I can't pull out the r&p from the steering rack. I've wiggling and everything but nothing. Any suggestion?
              Last edited by F22BPR; 05-07-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

It's out already, great DIY

Comment

Ok fellas quick question. Anyone have any experience with the A-1 Cardone rack? I am looking at buying it off of rockauto and I have never heard of the brand. A mechanic buddy of mine says he has bought brake parts from them and they were fine but that is about it. It is $123 plus the core charge. I would greatly appreciate any insight on it.

Comment

Don't know about the A-1, but I got one for my CD5 from Rack doctor.

http://shop.rackdoctor.net/1990-1993...-10295-695.htm

His prices are on point the and rack looks 2nd to none.
                    MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

Originally posted by RUGER 2.2L View Post
                      Ok fellas quick question. Anyone have any experience with the A-1 Cardone rack? I am looking at buying it off of rockauto and I have never heard of the brand. A mechanic buddy of mine says he has bought brake parts from them and they were fine but that is about it. It is $123 plus the core charge. I would greatly appreciate any insight on it.
                      my NAPA one is working fine after almost a year and a half since installing it. 218 with tax and core....lifetime warrranty and they're local, so that's a plus.

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

i jus did mine last night took me about 7 hours to do it .. it is easy but if u have rust like me it a bitch!
                        My Member Ride --> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...66#post2857666

My For Sale Thread --> http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181371

Comment

bumpin and old thread but my questions is how do I make sure the splines on the rack and pinion go straight in on the steering column shaft? I want to make sure I get the rack centered and make sure my wheel is straight. I don't want my wheel to turn sharper one way than the other lol.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...13#post2872413

Comment

I don't need to replace the rack yet but could you use the first part of the DIY to change your power steering fluid? Would an empty system hurt the pump?

Thanks.

Comment

One bolt near the Power Steering stuff (not the bracket side) is stripped, and so is the hole that it bolts into... Is the hole that it bolts into directly in the chassis, or is it bolted into a piece that can be removed? I'm trying to figure out what to do about the stripped bolt and hole. I've heard of the brand Heli-Coil, but don't know what exactly to do with it. would i need to remove the R/P to install a Heli-coil threaded insert? guidance, please! thanks!

Second Question: There are tubes connecting to the dust boots. I replaced the boot on the drivers side, but the tube is difficult to re-attach since it is very short. what is this tube for, and is it important? I understand you should always reconnect things, however, this tube was connected to a torn boot, and thus was exposed to air and all sorts of stuff so not re-connecting it is the same as its previous condition and nothing bad really occurred.
                              Last edited by P5ylance; 05-10-2013, 07:08 PM.
                              blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

I have to know if I need any new gaskets or seals the hanger is a year old the rack mount is a year and a half old do I need a gasket for the ehaust ?

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
                                Do it once, do it right.
                                Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
                                Missing My
                                White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
                                Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Working...
                                X