Things that make you cringe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things that make you cringe

Before i start,this thread is intended for automotive horror stories. Things you've ran across working on cars,things you've seen happen to cars,etc.
    Now I've got a ton of these here stories but the worst one was yesterday. Realized that i never drained the oil in my accord while i was taking off the dizzy for the 3rd time so i could get to the rocker arm assembly..anyway,i threw the pan under the car and cracked open the drain plug. As the oil came out,i about passed out from the intense smell of kerosene almost. No biggy,just some old oil. Then as i layed there watching in horror,the oil slowly started getting lumpy,then i heard a could slight tings in the bottom of the pan. I lit a cigarette and waited for it all to drain so i could investigate wtf the tinging noise was...i emptied the oil pan in our recycle container and to my disgust,i saw metal shavings
    Still havent found what they're from,dont even wanna know. All i know is i need to do a swap now and that sucks since i was just gonna daily it lol oh well,life happens
    Follow me on IG to see my builds/pics
    dmfb919

Back in about 1982, I bought a 1966 Buick LeSabre for $225 while I was between cars. 340 cu. in V8, odometer said 67k, I suspect it was 167k, rusty, paint was shot, but it ran well. After getting my brand spanking new 1982 Chevrolet Citation X11 (not really a bad car at all), I kept the Buick as a winter-beater. I was out slinging it around on dirt/gravel roads one day seeing how must dust I could kick up. I pulled into a driveway to turn around, backed up, then hit the accelerator and the rear end of the car moved about a foot to the right - not because it lit up the rear wheels and was fishtailing - but because the left lower control arm for the rear axle ripped out of the frame allowing the left end of the axle to pivot forward pushing the rear of the car to the right.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-11-2018, 12:30 AM.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Crankshaft endplay.

When building an engine, if you realize there is too much end play = start over
      Originally posted by wed3k
      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

haha, hearing a noise coming from the front and feeling a vibration. Get out to realize i forgot to tighten / torque the lugnuts and the wheel was about to fall off Meanwhile 2min earlier i was doing 40 down the road.

Comment

That sounds similar to what i did to this 86 chevy k10 i had in school. Pulled out of a hay field i was bailing and punched it,as soon as i did i heard a loud pop then grinding. The entire left side rear axle broke apart and slid out. Good thing it was the hay field behind my parents lol.
          I've also forgot about double checking my lugs after doing the brakes on my exes car. She called over her way to work and said the car was shaking so bad that she couldn't drive it. I went to check it out,jacked the car up and wiggled both front wheels and the lugs were barely hand tight lol i felt like an idiot for that one
          Follow me on IG to see my builds/pics
          dmfb919

Comment

Being on I85 inside the perimeter (if you have ever been in Atlanta, you know what I'm talking about) and having the balljoint break lose in a car in which you're the passenger in, while in the middle lane, waiting for a HERO to come and praying that no one decides to rear end you.

Seeing a bunch white smoke coming from the exhaust in your rotary powered vehicle = rebuild time.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

When I first got my car I drove it around pretty gently just trying to figure it out but one day I was on a dirt road and noticed that in turns in one direction the car would rotate extremely well while turns in the other direction felt...weird. On my way back I would hear a rubbing sound from a tire when braking. I took it easy on the way home and when I got out I noticed my driver side wheel was more forward in the wheel well than the passenger side. I put the car on jack stands to find out that the bolt that holds the radius arm in place was missing.

Comment

I saw a lot a cringey stuff working at Toyota. Mostly people with springs cut so much there was only a coil or two left.

The worst I think was when I first got my cb7, someone had removed the passenger front brake caliper and shoved a self tapping screw into the brake line to keep it from leaking. The sad part is it worked.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                  haha, hearing a noise coming from the front and feeling a vibration. Get out to realize i forgot to tighten / torque the lugnuts and the wheel was about to fall off Meanwhile 2min earlier i was doing 40 down the road.
                  I had the left front wheel come off a 1995 Ford F150 while driving, lost the wheel/tire in a corn field until I had light the next morning.
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Any half assed “modifications” done by fanboys who later pass on that it’s okay to do. That’ll make anybody cringe.

Personally, my mom in law when she got the Scirocco. She didn’t wait for me to go with her, and she took my better half instead to follow her home. The timing was off like 10 teeth so it ran a little hot & misfired. One of the shift linkage arms were bad causing her to lose 1st, 2nd, 5th, and reverse after it popped off.
                    She couldn’t find the link that popped off, so she popped the clutch all the way home in 3rd & 4th ruining the clutch lol.

I guess the cringe was me fixing silly mistakes? Yeah. Stupid avoidable shit makes me cringe.

Comment

Back in 2001-2 when washer jet LEDs were all the craze I wired a set into my Accord.

Wire from battery through firewall to switch. Switch through firewall to LEDs, wire from LEDs to ground.

Notice any issues there? Oof.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                        Back in 2001-2 when washer jet LEDs were all the craze I wired a set into my Accord.

Wire from battery through firewall to switch. Switch through firewall to LEDs, wire from LEDs to ground.

Notice any issues there? Oof.
                        This made me cringe
                        Originally posted by wed3k
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                          This made me cringe
                          I've since gotten significantly better.

Fuse Panel by Mike M, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                            Back in about 1982, I bought a 1966 Buick LeSabre for $225 while I was between cars. 340 cu. in V8, odometer said 67k, I suspect it was 167k, rusty, paint was shot, but it ran well. After getting my brand spanking new 1982 Chevrolet Citation X11 (not really a bad car at all), I kept the Buick as a winter-beater. I was out slinging it around on dirt/gravel roads one day seeing how must dust I could kick up. I pulled into a driveway to turn around, backed up, then hit the accelerator and the rear end of the car moved about a foot to the right - not because it lit up the rear wheels and was fishtailing - but because the left lower control arm for the rear axle ripped out of the frame allowing the left end of the axle to pivot forward pushing the rear of the car to the right.
                            LOLOL

That must've been disconcerting, but probably expected.
                            14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                              After getting my brand spanking new 1982 Chevrolet Citation X11 (not really a bad car at all), I kept the Buick as a winter-beater.
                              I always weirdly dug the X-11. IIRC it was quite good at SCCA racing and I read that compared to other cars of its day, it was reasonably fast for what it was. I thought Chevy did a good job with the exterior considering what they had to work with.

Comment

Working...
                              X