Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which F23A did you get?

F23A1/4 - 9.3:1 Compression Ratio
    F23A5 - 8.8:1 Compression Ratio - this matches our F22A1/4/6 compression ratio.

If you got the A5 this may explain why there is no bump in compression.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I believe the F23A1 had a 9.1:1 or 9.3:1 ratio, but that was in part due to the specs of the cylinder head. The later iterations in the US were slightly redesigned to meet ULEV specs and as a result the compression dropped back down to 8.8:1. Damn emissions.

It's likely the head design may be your draw in this build. Higher compression pistons maybe?

Can't help you with drag tires, unfortunately.
      1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Yeah, seeing lots of different numbers here and I didn't measure the volume when I had the head off.

It's an F23a1 from a 2002 accord. Wonder if the fact its from Canada makes a difference or not. I think '02 was the last year the f23a was found in the accord so maybe I have the 8.8:1 version. Is there any way to verify this other then taking the head off and measuring? My pistons sure are different then Tishocks that were posted above.

I havn't got it on a dyno, but the engine doesn't seem to run much different then my old one. It does need more fuel and run smoother, and the power band is noticeably in a different place.

The main benefit so far is really the fact that I'm not burning oil anymore! yay!
        Bought from: Night Wolf, bassrock234, sonikaccord, 904drACCORDMANG

92 Accord, F23a franken-engine, N/A forever.

Comment

Today I got my new 450cc DSM blue top injectors and Marshall fuel pressure gauge installed! Runs better then before and my duty cycle on the injectors is in a much more acceptable place.

Next I might do the fuel pump, either a Grams or Walbro 255 unit, but I don't know if I really need it.

And I should get to a dyno, maybe just to get my HP/TQ tested. I'll need to get a Hondadata s300 if I want them to tune the car, as they don't seem experienced with Crome.

Comment

To clarify on the f23's:

Jdm f23a's had two different pistons. The odyssey ones have a weird dome, the accord's are flat top. The accord's are 9.8:1, odysseys SHOULD be higher according to their design.

F23a1/4's have a slightly dished piston, 9.3:1 . F23a5's are dished slightly more, 8.8:1.

ALL f23's have a common head casting. The non vtecs just have different valvetrain/rockers. Cams are different as well and usually dependent upon their respective engines.
            Last edited by Chrisnick; 03-17-2016, 02:21 PM.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisnick View Post
              To clarify on the f23's:

Jdm f23a's had two different pistons. The odyssey ones have a weird dome, the accord's are flat top. The accord's are 9.8:1, odysseys SHOULD be higher according to their design.

F23a1/4's have a slightly dished piston, 9.3:1 . F23a5's are dished slightly more, 8.8:1.

ALL f23's have a common head casting. The non vtecs just have different valvetrain/rockers. Cams are different as well and usually dependent upon their respective engines.
              Great, thanks for that!

Comment

Pretty interested to see what kind of power and times you put down.

Comment

Nice frank build you have going way to dive into her.
                  My 90 coupe Mr thread....
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178452

Comment

Updates!

Well I got some new tires for drag racing. Still need to order some wheels, but I mounted them on my current wheels to check for fitment so I know what to order. Wow, what a squeeze!

Nitto NT555r "Extreme Drag" 245/50R16

Also ordered something nice, will post about it when it come! (hint, not really performance related).
                    Last edited by dwhacks; 05-11-2017, 10:11 PM. Reason: https all the photos!

Comment

That's a huge tire. Hopefully you won't snap an axle and have the power/gearing to take advantage of a tire that tall/wide, otherwise, it's a lot of unnecessary mass and drag.

Just noticed it's a drag radial, too. Hope you get it to work well, DR's and manual transmissions are a very tricky combo. Get it right and with good power, you can cut some really killer 60ft's and won't have the power sap a slick will up top.
                      Last edited by Chrisnick; 03-21-2016, 01:17 AM.

Comment

I was having serious slipping with the Neogens I had before and got these for a ridiculous price. They are also the smallest size I could find in a drag radial and I need a DOT tire to run Street Bracket at our 1/8 mile local track.

I tried a few "drag launches" today, and wow for grip. I need to figure out the right launch RPM and then I feel like they will be fast. I notice the bigger tire in low RPM acceleration, but once past ~4k It feels fast and doesn't spin at 6k like the Neogens did.

Probably need more power and a different trans..... But I can't decided where to go next.

Comment

what kind of pressures are you ruinng? And ET?

Comment

I wont get to the track until May 1st (that's the first event) but for now I'm running 30 psi and was planning 20psi at the track but it will take some playing with. My Brother works at the local tire shop and for the last 10 years has always ran 30 PSI on the CB7. If only you could see how evenly worn out the Neogens are, just perfect.

I had my standstill rev limit at 4k before and with these new tires it bogged down a little. Should I lower the rev limit or raise it? With the Neogens I really had to ease into throttle or I would spin most of the way through 2nd at the track.

I will probably take the Drag radials off this weekend, I don't want to wear them for nothing! I got them purely for the track.

Comment

They'll probably work best around 16-20psi. Raise launch rpm to about 5000, if it spons, lower it by a hundred rpm until you just "haze" the tires. I launch between 4500-5000, drop clutch, and almost dead hook at my local track on 200tw ish Toyo R1R's around 20lbs, 2.1 60ft's with either. A slight amount of wheel hop or clutch spin-all which should be rectified by this upcoming season. I'll just be on snow tires this year, they're surprisingly effective lol. Drag radials don't need a ton of heat to work like a slick sometimes does. The compound is much different, just a quick standing spin will probably get them warm enough. Where a slick basically absorbs the initial impact and torque to allow a slingshot like effect, a radial works much differently, more like an extremely sticky street tire. I'm sure you'll have to add a decent amount of clutch slip to get a decent 60ft out of the radials.

It'll all take some dialing in to get it right.
                              Last edited by Chrisnick; 03-22-2016, 03:54 AM.

Comment

New parts!

Oh, look what arrived in the mail!

Cheddas Auto single bend short shifter and bushings kit!

Such beautiful craftsmanship!
                                Last edited by dwhacks; 05-11-2017, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X