Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

f22a6 w/f22b dohc head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f22a6 w/f22b dohc head

If I were to go n/a with the above mentioned setup could I reach 220whp with the following modifications (basic bolt-ons included:

Head-pnp,crower stage 2/3 cams,valves,valve springs,retainers,obx cam gear
    Block-12:1 bisimoto forged pistons
    Ecu-chipped p28 or hondata s200

why not go with bisi cams?

Comment

Interested in the answer to this. I'm thinking of doing an unmodded version of this shortly.

Member's Ride Thread

Will work for food, car parts, or three stripe apparel. And not necessarily in that order

Comment

Originally posted by sulimed View Post
        why not go with bisi cams?
        I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping in my stock cams but then again I don't actually plan on instaling the head until its fully built so who knows.

Comment

The reason for choosing this setup is because a major setback with the f22 is the single cam so I figured that if I swapped it for a dual cam head that could fix that problem resulting in much higher numbers and possibly revs. Also since the f22b is pretty much a f22 block with an h23 head it should bolt right up and also being that its 85mm and not 87mm that will eliminate the problem with hotspots. Right? Lol this is all speculation for me so if anyone has any suggestions I would definitely appreciate the help.

Comment

The F22B DOHC chamber while being 85mm is still a few ccs bigger than the F22A. As a result you will lose some compression ratio and therefore some power. The OE JDM F22B cams are pretty tiny so with low CR and tiny cams you'll not get much of a boost in power over the F22A that also has low CR and tiny cam(s). Going from 8:1 to 12:1 wil get you more torque (which means more power) and better fuel economy (though you'll have to run 91 oct) and won't require much tuning on stock cams. Might get you to 155whp or so. Power will fall flat on its face at about 5300 rpm though without a cam upgrade.
            VTEC G27? = ???whp ???wtq
            VTEC G23 = 220whp 191wtq
            nonVTEC G23 = 200whp 183wtq
            K24 iVTEC hybrid = 260whp 210wtq

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMcFred View Post
              The F22B DOHC chamber while being 85mm is still a few ccs bigger than the F22A. As a result you will lose some compression ratio and therefore some power. The OE JDM F22B cams are pretty tiny so with low CR and tiny cams you'll not get much of a boost in power over the F22A that also has low CR and tiny cam(s). Going from 8:1 to 12:1 wil get you more torque (which means more power) and better fuel economy (though you'll have to run 91 oct) and won't require much tuning on stock cams. Might get you to 155whp or so. Power will fall flat on its face at about 5300 rpm though without a cam upgrade.
              He's already planning on different cams.

Originally posted by TuneAccordingly View Post
              If I were to go n/a with the above mentioned setup could I reach 220whp with the following modifications (basic bolt-ons included:

Head-pnp,crower stage 2/3 cams,valves,valve springs,retainers,obx cam gear
              Block-12:1 bisimoto forged pistons
              Ecu-chipped p28 or hondata s200
              220 sounds possible, but your specs are pretty sketchy. What size valves? What size TB do you plan on using? What size exhaust? Little things make a big difference when you add them together.

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post

220 sounds possible, but your specs are pretty sketchy. What size valves? What size TB do you plan on using? What size exhaust? Little things make a big difference when you add them together.
                H23 tb and manifold, 2.5 in exhaust, cold air intake, possibly itb's in the future

Comment

H23 tb and manifold, 2.5 in exhaust, cold air intake, possibly itb's in the future, and normal size valves possibly .5-1mm oversize

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMcFred View Post
                    So with a cam upgrade I should see 200whp easily right? But as far as the stock head its a downgrade, but has potential once you switch out for 2 big cams, right?

Comment

Would it just be better to buy a jdm f22b longdblock or h23 because I know I can get an h23 for dirt cheap. Would the h23 also make more power with such mods due to the larger cylinder bore thereby making 2.3L? 87mm>85mm, 2.3L>2.2L=h23 n/a>f22n/a?

Comment

Sorry to hijack the tread, but am I to understand that you guys are saying that putting a F22b head on a F22A6 block would be a downgrade if left stock??

Member's Ride Thread

Will work for food, car parts, or three stripe apparel. And not necessarily in that order

Comment

Originally posted by brownhornet View Post
                          Sorry to hijack the tread, but am I to understand that you guys are saying that putting a F22b head on a F22A6 block would be a downgrade if left stock??
                          Not so much a downgrade as not worth the effort.

Comment

Not so much a downgrade as not worth the effort.
                            So do you think an h23 would be a better choice? Possibly a vtec head swap? Im just trying to come up with some n/a motor alternatives rather than just swapping in an h22. But if all else fails then that's just what I'll do.

Comment

IMHO if you're going to swap the head on any motor, it better be an H22 head. The head alone should get you to about 155whp I believe. Then throw in your Bisi 12:1 pistons, larger cams and simple I/H/E with a good tune....I'd say 200whp should be quite attainable. But as always the simple alternative is to just swap an H22, preferably JDM; add I/H/E and tune.
                              '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                              If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Working...
                              X